Featured Touring Ypres

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by roadrider, May 13, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Just had 5 cracking day's in Belgium.Went mainly to see the WW1 stuff.
    Stayed at a B&B in the town just down the road from the main square.
    Saw the last post ceremony twice.Tyne Cott,the largest commonwealth war cemetery in the world,Passendale,Sanctuary Wood and Hill 60 were all on the agenda.
    Saturday we moved up to Bruges,after a quick stop at Poperinge, for some good food and beer.
    It was the first time we'd used the tunnel and was surprised how easy it was,we'll use it again.
    I'll put some photo's on as soon as I get them sorted.

• Like Like x 6
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It's a very moving area to visit, don't you think?

3. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Did exactly the same Ypres trip inc all yer mentioned last year, not a dry eye when that last post sounded I'm proud to say. A chap came on the mike and told anyone sat down to stand up , no clapping, it's not a show, it's a rememberence service. Beautiful city, they were having a European beachball championship inc sand in the town square! (I kid you not). Like you first time in chunnel on bike and impressed.

4. filbay

filbay Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Hampshire
    I agree with above, it's a lovely city. I have been there a couple of times, and visited the battlefield , cemeteries etc. However its always been by coach, so it would be great to go on the bike though. Will need to look into the tunnel route.

5. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I agree with all of the above.
    Very moving place and a beautiful city,hard to believe it was reduced to ruble.
    During the last post someone was playing loud music down the street,the head policeman just pointed to one of the other coppers who shot off down the street and within seconds the music was off.

6. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    Yes it is, ive done most of he conflict areas of northern France and its a fantastic even more so on a motorcycle

7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Been to Ypres and Tyne Cott a couple of years ago and the Somme and Bastogne last year. Sadly only Bastogne on the bike. Can recomend the tunnel though - lots of bikes use it. (Mainly BMW's!)

8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Went to Kachanaburi, where the bridge over river Kwai was/is and visited the war graves there. Went 35 years ago and in that time even though the town has grown around them the site has not been tampered with, they are meticulously looked after by the Thais too, also visited part of the line called death railway where the POWs hacked out solid rock to a depth of 10 meters by hand. Will try and get some photos up soon

• Like Like x 3
  9. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Just looking at a sneaky weekend away in April,stretch it to 4 days.
    Tunnel and stick to the North,hoping to get to Thiepval as we missed it last time.

10. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Just a few from my France collection

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  11. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    We did vimy ridge last year,will go again though. I found out last weekend that I've got a great uncles name on Thiepval. I can manage a bit of war history each trip but my wife will only take so much so I have to spend it out a bit.

12. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Thiepval in 2014 and Beaumont Hamel. The Caribou memorial to the Royal Newfoundlanders of the 29th Division who chose to fight under the British rather than their native Canadian flag.

Poor planning and communications led to them suffering 80% casualties whilst they were forming up for the attack. The trench line can still be seen along with the original barbed wire stanchions.

DSCN1617.jpg DSCN1626.jpg DSCN1625.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Great pictures there guys - brought back lots of memories for me.
    I particularly remember one with great pleasure - 6th June 2009 at Arromanches, all the world leader there including Prime Minister Gordon Brown who was booo'd off stage.

The Veterans (all in their 80's and 90's!) were asked to form up and march along the main road - stiff backed and as precise as a Swiss watch, whilst all who watched applauded - not a dry eye in the house. And once 'off stage' they were real buggers with the ladeez and the drink !!!!

Fantastic opportunity for me to see, greet and say 'thank you' to them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    Thanks, I've done most of it and plan to do even more in the future :) roll on August!!

15. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Stopped overnight in Peronne on that trip and bumped into these re-enactment guys in the town square.
    The Yanks were all English and the Germans were mainly Belgians and Dutch!

DSCN1638.jpg DSCN1637.jpg DSCN1639.jpg DSCN1641.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Redbridge Essex
    Only just found this thread about Ypres.. I was there with my Wife last April and I had the honour & privilege to Parade my RBL Branch Standard for the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate..
    SAM_1471.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  17. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I'm going to see if we can booked in for 11/11/2018 would love to stood at the Menin Gate 100 years to the day the guns fell silent.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Eccleshall, Staffs
    Done it several times, it is 'must do' for anyone yet to go, and the town is great to visit, big market square to sit with a beer and watch the world go by.

Teejay