Your Perfect 5 playlist

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MetalliKarl, Mar 24, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Couldn't agree more.

2. MetalliKarl

MetalliKarl Active Member

Mar 15, 2015
    UK, Germany and Touring
    Kudos on Dream Theater* and king Crimson über Cool, John Petrucci is a big influence on my style of playing and in real life too he is a cool guy. Never liked MegaSh*te ;) but there is a place for everything. \m/

• Like Like x 1
  3. chris newton

chris newton Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Wallsend
    After careful consideration, I have tried to narrow it down to my favourite (most influential) bands

Not in order of preference, but more of a time line of my musical education..

#1 Queen.

Became a fan at the age of 6. First album I owned was "The Works"... and while "Radio Ga Ga" and "I want to break free" were the big hits, I preferred the riffs of "Hammer to Fall" and "Tear it Up" ..though their back catalogue is awesome, covering all genre's of music.

# 2 Megadeth. (sorry Metallikarl)

First heard the riff to "Symphony of Destruction" in Old Eldon Square, Newcastle.... bought the album
    "Countdown to Extinction" on tape and played it so much I wore the tape out .... I was given a CD player and "Countdown to Extinction" CD for my 16th birthday .. :)

#3 Dream Theatre

New generation prog rock. As a drummer, when I first heard these guys, I thought there must have been two drummers or one drummer playing over a pre recorded track ... Until I saw Mike Portnoy and went "holy Sh##" totally opened my eyes to music and time signatures and technicalities ... 19/16 time anyone?

#4 Trivium

While Sepultura were the heavy boys of the late 90's, Slipknot refined it by adding melody ... then to me Trivium combined all forms of metal excellently ... (may be too heavy for you older guys ;))

#5 Alter Bridge

Proper rock with great lyrics .... awesome live and they have possibly the greatest rock singer songwriter of our generation in "Mark Tremonti" .. who wrote all of Creed's songs as well as all of Alter Bridge's songs as well as having his own solo album/soon to be released 2nd album

• Like Like x 2
  4. bonniebuddy

bonniebuddy New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Hi all!
    Being a musician myself (drums and guitar) my playlist would look as follows:
    Anything by the Buddy Rich band...the small outfits and 16-piece bands that he had
    Anything by the Beatles...
    Some of Sinatra's tunes...his backing band has always been fantastic!!
    Django Reinhardt
    Anything by Wes Montgomery...another one of the all-time great guitarists!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I've just been going through the music on my pooter this morning and I reckon it is impossible to say which are your top five.

For example this morning I was listening to some early Davie Bowie and listening to "Space Oddity" - and I have forgotten what an ACE piece of innovative music that is.

I just feel so lucky that one minute I can listen to the poetic lyrics of someone like Francis Cabrel, the next David Bowie, the next anything by Queen (especially the last oh-so poignant "Who wants to live Forever) then so BB King and Joe Bonamassa, Feast of Friends etc etc etc.

Music, whether we play or just listen and drink it in, is truly a blessing for us all.

a humble listener, sadly

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  6. I agree biglad, music is ace. I admit to being a bit (quite a lot actually :p) narrow minded though when it comes to music. If I don't like something, it's rubbish as far as I'm concerned :rolleyes:
    That causes some interesting conversations in the car with me and her indoors. She is mad on northern soul, and I can't stand it, but it's her car, so I have to listen to it, when we're in the van though it's geeetars all the way :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Very true Dave but when it comes what works when riding then I think the field is narrowed as a lot of music wouldn't be suitable.

Mind you a Desert Islands Discs thread is another thing ;)