Your Perfect 5 playlist

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MetalliKarl, Mar 24, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MetalliKarl

MetalliKarl Active Member

Mar 15, 2015
    UK, Germany and Touring
    Hi I started this thread in an old thread which is now going to be this new thread however on the advice of respected bloggers I will start afresh.
    Being a musician and music being my thang man (adjusts shades indoors) I would enjoy knowing which "5" pieces of music you would have on your ride playlist.
    Cheers Dears for the loan of your ears ... peace

2. mark scarrott

mark scarrott Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2015
    burntwood
    Try a couple of these

The Doors Soul kitchen
    Blamange feel me now
    Prodigy smack my bitch up
    Public Image public image
    Leftfield open up

Mark :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  3. MetalliKarl

Mar 15, 2015
    UK, Germany and Touring
    Thats ok Worked with drummers that count the same, fair list covers all moods, cheers... Not for Nickelback I should add haha ;)

4. MetalliKarl

Mar 15, 2015
    UK, Germany and Touring
    Thanks for that :)

5. I like music threads...
    I couldn't possibly pin it down to 5 tracks though, no way. I like my music LOUD, and real, none of that 'manufactured' rubbish, electric guitars and real drums all the way with me, definitely an oldskool rock fan, I have the tinnitus to prove it !!
    I have ridden bikes for 40 years, and only recently (when it's too late) with earplugs, and spent most of my yoof travelling the country to listen to heavy rock bands :D
    And, I don't listen to music when I'm riding the bike - it's dangerous. But I do when I'm in the car, or on my pushbike - go figure...:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    Wrong so far guys

The first on starting the ride is a classic road song and it has to be the one playing as you ride out onto the road: -
    Steppenwolf, Born To Be Wild.
    Led Zep, Whole Lotta Love
    Metalica, Enter Sandman
    Free, All Right Now
    Runrig, Proterra

OK so I know some of you are saying RUN..WHO, check them out on Youtube, Malcolm Jones is the best guitarist you have never heard of and they have been performing for over 40 years.

• Like Like x 2
  7. #7 billyandmollysdad, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    Reet then, these are taken from my most played list on my ipod, but the list changes regularly...
    In no particular order
    Alternative Ulster - Stiff little fingers
    Ballroom blitz - The sweet
    House of love - Skin
    Pretty fly for a white guy - The offspring
    Never again - Nickelback
    The first cut is the deepest - Little angels
    Lights - Journey
    Feel like makin love - Bad company
    Jailbait - Motorhead
    Be lucky - The temperance movement
    Higher ground - Red hot chilli peppers
    Down at the doctors - Dr. Feelgood
    Lights out - UFO

• Like Like x 2
  8. Good point DD, I'm dead superstitious !
    In that case I will add
    Travellin band - CCR
    White trash millionaire - Black stone cherry
    Diary of a workingman - Blackfoot
    Jesus of suburbia - Greenday
    Mr.Crowley - Ozzy

• Like Like x 1
  9. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    #9 folkbloke, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    I've just lifted my response from the last thread.... except with a few further thoughts about suitable music that I thought about cycling home from the pub so apologies now for going off on one.

If I was listening on a bike rather than at home or in a car there are different criteria. Riding a bike is noisy, engines and the wind means that anything too subtle will get lost. Say goodbye to Portishead.

Complexity has to be avoided and it has to be relatively simple. Intricate patterns, changing time signatures and significant textural variations have to wait until I get home.

Acoustic folk guitar probably won't work although I might make an exception for Bob Brozman or Leo Lottke who hit the strings so hard they would never get lost in the general noise. Django unfortunately would get left behind.

The dynamics generally found in classical pieces will mean the quiet sections will be utterly lost. Then again, what about a selection of famous last movements (Brahms' 1st or Beethoven's 9th come to mind)? The 1812 or Ride of the Valkyries are suitably energetic but I get the feeling I'd start riding like a madman.

Repetitive stuff like Kraftwerk would work and I'm ashamed I've only just considered them. A continuous loop of Autobahn may well be the nearest to the perfect accompaniment to a long motorway ride (I suspect that may have been the idea ;))

So a steady beat, relatively strong melody and simple arrangements but with enough variations to keep an interest without distractions.

And so to my original post before I went off on one..... (I blame London Pride)

I won't listen to music when I'm riding. I've suffered from tinnitus for a long time. Too many gigs with a loud fiddle player and riding bikes without ear protection did for me over the past 30 years. I've tried to use some specialized helmet speakers but the music has be loud enough to make sense which is not doing my ears any favours, cuts out too much ambient noise and I start to lose touch with the outside world.

If I were to listen to music though I think it would be a very different list now than what it may have been 30 years ago with less emphasis on hard rock for songs with a more relaxed groove (goes with the cruiser I guess [​IMG]) So plucked from my ipod "favs" playlist. All of them give me a sense of movement, of open spaces, and I can almost see those bends rolling off in the distance.....

African Velvet - Black Velvet
    September Gurls - Big Star
    Funky Cold Medina - Tone Loc
    Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens - Louis Jordan
    Bad Moon Rising - Creedence

10. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    Specifically for riding along to - my top 5 would be -

Back in black - AC/DC
    Kashmir - Led Zeppelin
    Born to be wild - Steppenwolf
    The weight - the Band
    Hard to handle - the Black crows

11. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Best Driving Tunes Evva!! Volumes 1,2,3,4 and 5

• Like Like x 1
  12. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Top 5 all-time driving music:

"Radar Love" - Golden Earring

"Alright Now" - Free

"Born to be wild" - Steppenwolf

"Wish you were here" - Pink Floyd

"Get offa my Cloud" - THE Rolling Stones

The list would have been different yesterday and will be different tomorrow. There's so much brilliant music out there it's impossible for me to put up a definitive list.

Please note I said "driving music" not riding music - I would never have earpieces in, whilst riding, too distracting.

Dave

13. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    No arguments there and I especially agree with the last sentence :)

Has anybody ridden a bike with speakers? Isn't it embarrassing riding through a town like the brain dead morons in "souped-up" Astras with a boot full of bass bins or do you switch it off I wonder?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ask any member of the Goldwing forum :p

• Like Like x 2
  15. MetalliKarl

Mar 15, 2015
    UK, Germany and Touring
    Awesome classic rock and stuff i get asked to play all the way... \m/ chanks

• Like Like x 1
  16. mark scarrott

mark scarrott Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2015
    burntwood
    now you are stereotyping them,seen a few Harleys with these they don't look any better:confused:

17. yeah....stereotypes don't come any bigger than Harley/Goldwing riders :p
    Shoot me :D

18. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    probably cos your a bit more intelligent than me ! thick smiley.jpg

19. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    Has anybody ridden a bike with speakers?....................Guilty as charged, road two hundred miles on Goldie with the volume cranked all the way up because me and her ont back could not hear the Music or SatNav.....I'd switched it to speakers and not headphone...............it was only a crowd of people looking when the Sat Nav said..................take the next turn on the left......that we realised what was happening.

• Like Like x 3
  20. chris newton

chris newton Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Wallsend
    It would appear that by the track suggestions ... and the fact that we have Goldwing riders present :rolleyes:
    that I'm clearly the baby of the group :p ..... and I'm 38!!:eek:

I couldn't possibly narrow it down to 5 tracks .... or even 5 artists/bands

I don't listen to music on the bike (the car is the place for me try to understand music..... big fan of Dream Theatre and believe it or not King Crimson and Yes .... well before my time but great musicians)

.... however I once did listen to music on the bike ..... and listening to Thrash metal such as Megadeth certainly makes your right wrist twist a bit further...;)

• Like Like x 1