Your Best Cop + Bike Story...

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Heavymess’in, Sep 22, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Heavymess’in

Aug 9, 2020
    London, UK.
    So, don’t know if this has been done before, but what’s your best (worst) story of you, a bike, and the LAW ..

I was in a police chase in Bangkok many years ago....the cab i was in was waved down by a motorbike cop and instead of stopping, he floored it through Bangkok traffic.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    I have a mate that was pulled over by the local metro who was standing on the side of the road, as they stopped, (3-off them) the officer asked him to switch his motorcycle off, he replied very politely that he cannot do that. The officer responded with “Why not” to which he replied “cause I’m leaving now”

The other two on their motorcycles still standing there along with the metro were all in total shock as to what just happened. He simply took off ! They claimed not to know him and were told minutes later to leave after having had to endure the whole “show me your drivers license, show me your registration, show me your license disc” I smile every time I see his face at our local meet up, a real character!

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I guess my best bike + cop story is that over almost fifty years of riding (starting when I was 9 or so) I have never been pulled over on my motorcycle. And the six years I spent as a cop, I never pulled a motorcycle over.

I've related this funny, before: I was riding my Kz650 and took an exit at indicated 120 mph and there sat two motocops with a radar gunning me. They smiled and gave me a thumbs up as I rode by.

• Like Like x 13
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    So as its specifically cop and bike..
    Many many many years ago, a group of us (6-8) had been for a night's carousing at a few local hostelries. Our friend, lets call him Kevin, decided a bit of showing off was in order as he was on his bike and we were walking home. He proceeded to rag it and wheelie it up the high street away from us. He turned around and started the same thing back down the hill. Now the inevitable happened and Kev was one side of the road sliding merrily and on the other side producing mucho sparks was his bike. His bike hit one our number Phil sending him flying (he was luckily uninjured youth and plenty of Courage's finest rendered him immune to broken bones). Consequently Police were called along with a precautionary ambulance for Phil. As this happened about 50 yards from the police station their response was rapid. As a group we decided to rapidly help Kev with his getting away by providing him with clothese swaps so he could slip away not obviously a biker. This is where my involvement came in, guess who had the lary blue, white and black leather motorcycle jacket to wear that he didnt come out with...
    Needless to say i did my best to give Kev some "getting away time" but a few hours at the Police station, then threats of being charged with wasting police time plus other things i no longer remember forced me to give my true name and address.
    The next night Phil was urgently trying to find witnesses who could substantiate the estimated 15-20 feet of vertical elevation of his tumble that one witness from a nearby pub offered to the ambulance crew. None of us could because were to busy watching the spark show provided by Kevin and his bike.
    Ahh the folly of drunken youth, i do miss it!

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Heavymess’in

Aug 9, 2020
    London, UK.
    That’s brilliant!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    Excellent, wish my experience with them ended the same....
    I'd been out with some mates playing footie then off to the pub. I left them early 10:30pm ish, heading out of Nottingham, I thought that's plod coming round behind me, better slow to the 30. Next thing he's straight up behind me almost touching the rear tyre, carried on like that for 1/2 mile or so. I thought this can't be a police car driving as stupid as this it must be a nutter that I'm annoying by sticking to the speed limit, so I speed up to around 35, nope still there, I pull over to the left to help him getting the feck out of there. He comes round and on with the blue lights, gave me a load of crap, and ended up doing me for 33 in a 30. Absolute tosser, PC parker was his name. Nottingham mid eighties, someone must have had a run in with him as well?
    On a good note though I was in France, 2-up with luggage, on the 900 trophy playing with a swiss registered audi quattro. Came up on a line of cars, corner opened up, bit of an uphill, I gave it some gas on the outside the front wheel came up (I'm no wheelie king), got it back down and nailed it with the audi pulling out to overtake and I spotted the French motorcycle police at the top of the hill. I thought, oh sh#t, police stepped forward and motioned me to slow down but allowed me to carry on. I never saw the Audi again I imagine it got pulled over. Thanks guys...

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    In 51 years of riding never been pulled over. Police here have a non pursuit policy on bikes, except Harley s. @JtC got pulled over in NM for 60 mph over in my car in 1985, 1 dollar fine, $23 court cost non moving violation, so it wasn't turned in to the insurance nazi. Observed by the local sheriff doing 147 mph in a 55 mph zone, he was setting in the passenger seat.

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Old dumb arse

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    I did the sheriff's departments female radio dispatcher, in a jail cell one night. Does that count as being locked up. Handcuffs were involved LoL.

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    #9 Hobnail, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Riding out of Milwaukee long ago, heading north, Friday late afternoon, on my blue Laverda RGA. My friend and I left late and were far behind the group we were with (going to Elkhart Lake). He decided to catch up, which meant +80 mph for sustained periods. We were doing splendidly, him leading on his red Ducati, jinking around the rush hour traffic and we could see our group about a mile ahead. I will admit the speed rush was intoxicating, as my lovely RGA surged forward and I felt completely focused. Suddenly, my friend mistakenly took an exit ramp, as we were passing on the right. Down we went into city streets. It took about 15 minutes to regain the highway. Unbeknownst to us, the local Gendarmerie nationale were hot on our tails, and the exit detour gave them the slip. Later, when we rejoined our group they related being stopped and harassed by law enforcement trying to locate two hooligan riders. One on a red bike and one on a blue bike. I wonder who they were?

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. B with Speed

B with Speed Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2020
    Denver Colorado
    Mid eighties LA, I’m riding my Honda Shadow 500 up Pacific Coast Hwy through the South Bay and stop at a light right before the road goes underneath the LAX runways.
    A guy in a Yamaha 650 next to me gives me the nod, so we blast off when the light changes and tear through the tunnel as fast as we could go. There was one car in the tunnel & we passed it on each side doing over 100, which on that bike was pushing it!

We come to a stoplight at the end of the tunnel, and the next thing I see is a LARGE handgun in my face. Apparently that one car was an undercover cop car with two detectives, and they were NOT amused.
    He flashed his badge and yelled “slow the fk down!”, then both cops went back to their car and took off. I guess we were lucky they weren’t traffic cops and had bigger fish to fry!

• Like Like x 12
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Heavymess’in

Aug 9, 2020
    London, UK.
    #11 Heavymess’in, Sep 23, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    I was on the old KTM 990sm coming off the A4 flyover West London onto the South circular to Acton. After I turned right to Acton the Blue lights came on so I pulled over. It was a bike cop. He said “did you know I’ve been following you for a mile? You have been over 70mph in a 30 zone.” No, I had tiny pushbike mirrors reverse mounted. I said “ sorry no, I know I was going too fast, no excuse” “That plate is illegal size and I’m pretty sure, coz I was behind you, those exhausts are not road legal” (No shit) He said, “ I’m gonna do you for something, I’m just not sure what” and walks back to his bike. Now, coz I was over twice the speed limit, he could have taken my license there and then, coz the plate & pipes were illegal, he could have impounded the bike. He comes back and says “ I’m gonna give you a ticket for the small plate, £60, don’t let me catch you again”. I was very, very lucky.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    My mate was into photography and was setting up for a cycle race in Crawley when one of the police bikes at the event went past looking at him. A few minutes later the police bike went past again looking at him. A few minutes later the police bike goes past yet again with the policeman riding it standing with one foot on the seat and one leg straight out behind. Sadly the camera wasn't yet set up...

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    About 10 year ago I had been a naughty boy and flew past two cars that were travelling side by side on the motorway. Turns out one is a undercover traffic BM.

One cop got out and went Tonto at me, full hairdryer but I kept picking out, "time & a place" and "we all like to open them up" etc. A brief glimmer of hope?

"Do you know the only reason you are not in the back of the car?"

Me: mumble summit through petted lip/ giving it 40 year old naughty school boy look etc.

"Cos I have got the exact same bike"

GSX1400 riders are the best! Owe you a pint mate if you are looking in.

Still sitting here pinching my seat thinking about it. Thought I was done for (again!)

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Haha Perfectly safe here where you can see about seven miles down the road -no hills, no curves, and no trees. :laughing:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Heavymess’in

Aug 9, 2020
    London, UK.
    Oh, find THAT pic!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Heavymess’in

Aug 9, 2020
    London, UK.
    Ive driven through New Mex in 2000, and stayed in Taos and Santa Fe. Pretty interesting story bout that part of the trip as well, but not motorcycle related.

We had hired an Isuzu Trooper Out of Vegas, and drove across Nevada, Utah and Colorado before climbing up onto the New Mexican Plateau. Being from NZ, and Europe, we are used to petrol and services/towns every few miles. I found out the Colorado high country is a bit lean on that stuff.
    We were down under 1/4 tank of gas and the missus was starting to freak out a little bit. Told her not to worry, we would be fine, though I was more than a little concerned myself at this stage.
    As soon as we got onto the NM plateau, the road became dead straight and as i was driving, I saw in the distance what looked like sign posts. As we got a bit closer I realised it was a ranch entrance. I said to the wife, ‘‘if worst comes to worst, we can go and ask for some gas’’

There was something attached to the cross beam. As we got closer, we saw It was a black effigy handing from the cross beam by a noose, with a sign around its neck which said, ‘Bring back the old days‘...
    W.T.F.
    Now my wife, sitting beside me turned a bit white, and that’s noticeable coz she is Indian with curly black hair.

Needless to say I was not stopping there.

We found a gas station about 5 miles on, a small faded pink building, With a single pump on a cross road. It looked like somewhere you go to sell ya should to the devil for rock’n’roll immortality...

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Not a group ride or getting left behind story , but in 1994 on my 93 Silver RGS1000 Laverda in the sunny state of Qld. I was a bit stuck in heavy traffic on a two lane stretch of HWY North of Brisbane. So I weaved through "as you do" when I got in front I opened her up ! A few minutes later hearing a "high pitched whine". I slowed and an unmarked Ford Falcon pulled along side. So we stopped , exchanged full licence and address "as you do". Was a plain clothes Detective. He estimated I was doing in excess of 160km/hr 100 mph my Speedo said "off the clock" terminates at 240kph. So I didn't argue.
    Went to court a few months later ! As I was a serving member of the Australian Defence Force (Army) I couldn't attend on the day set. On manoeuvres ! I pleaded guilty with mitigation , His estimate was way out etc ...
    He rushed the hearing into the wrong court room. Judge presiding was Hearing Family Law Matters....!!!
    So He couldn't use the Traffic Act Law to punish me :):cool::blush:
    So I got a $180 fine $30 odd court costs and no Demerits , suspension or jail time :kissing_heart: so even the wankers and tossers out there can do you a good dead for the day:party::sun:

cheers capt

• Like Like x 8
  18. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    I was driving along the Sydney Harbour bridge in the early 80's in a Mini Moke with the top down. There was a motorcycle cop on a white kitted out bike in front of me, we're just going along at a normal speed nothing special is happening. Suddenly he gets a bit of a wheel wobble/tank slapper, and I take my foot of the accelerator, the wobble gets worse, next thing he's on the road in a tangle with his bike, while staying in his lane. My Moke came to a stop with him right in front. I have no idea at all how that is even possible to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Old dumb arse

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    LoL in the American southwest petrol stations can be 80 miles apart, typically a sign to warn you of such, but they are rarely updated if said petrol station went broke and closed. Got caught in the same situation on my bike when the only gas pump was broke. Farmer pulled in and pumped a gallon of untaxed distinctly died low grade farm gas into my tank. Only had tenners in my pocket, but he had a fiver for change. So $5 for a $1.50 of fuel.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    I can't say how much I enjoyed that Blue Laverda RGA. A bit heavy, and limited tyre choices in '84, but with buckets of horsepower I was never far behind. I hosted some weekend rides in the inter-mountain region of WV and Virginia, using that bike. Stable as a battleship and comfortable for long stretches. The triple did buzz quite a bit a lower RPM's and the tuning was tricky. Sorted it over time and ended up selling to some well heeled enthusiast who rode it home from Iowa, proving his street credibility. Wonder how it is doing now? Been 15 years or so.

• Like Like x 3