You Know How It Is.

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Stu9000, May 3, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stu9000

Stu9000 Member

Nov 4, 2021
    Kingston-upon-thames
    So you know how it is.
    I've been out of biking for ten years and to be honest have not really missed it.
    But I took on a new job in outer London and could see traffic was going to be an issue.
    So I thought 'just have a look'. That quickly developed into frenzied research, which even more quickly led to a new (to me) bike sitting on the drive.
    [​IMG]
    The wife and kids can raise their eyebrows all they want.
    It was a practical decision, reducing the commute and safeguarding precious family time.

Previous bikes included a couple of CBR600s and a VTR Firestorm.
    These are bikes on which you could tuck down, make a hole in the air and just go!
    But those were younger days and while I am not out to pasture yet I didn't really want that.
    I wanted something that could do the motorway miles but which didn't beg to be thrashed quite as much.
    [​IMG]
    And boy, have I lucked out!
    My 1997 Thunderbird 900 is perfect.
    She sounds fantastic without being too antisocial.
    She isn't too light and has a decent road presence, but can flick and weave when called on.
    For a heavy bike she is surprisingly nimble.
    That overrun pop will never get old.
    Everyone from Grannies to teenagers love it.
    She can take a pillion. I might even get the wife on for a quick tootle round the block.
    I like the screen as have never been one for the naked buffeting thing (although it does look very cool).

I very much like that she has carbs and that I can learn to look after her myself.

For the money I could have gone for a Honda Blackbird or similar, which would no doubt have eaten up the miles. The Triumph may not be quite as streamlined but knowing that 70mph has come and gone will hopefully keep me out of trouble, and I can comfortably cruise at 80.

I took her for a weekend burble through the valleys of Wales at the end of last summer, making it as far as Bala before turning back. The riding was so good I could not bear to get back on the motorway so headed home via the Cotswolds which gave me another day of fantastic views and country roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to those who have already helped diagnose my ticking noise. We all come needing something i guess. However I thought I should probably say Hi properly rather than just hold my hand out in askance.
    So "Hi".
    Its good to be here.

bike1.jpeg

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

bike4.jpg

bike5valley.jpg

bike6.jpg

bike7.jpg

• Like Like x 22
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Hi welcome, that's a cracking bike you've got and it looks in great condition

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Hi and welcome, great introduction and photos!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Welcome to the mad house

Alfie

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    Welcome! And thanks for a great introduction and photos. Mine is a '97 too, and your bike report is spot on. Have fun with it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Got yourself a great bike there, enjoy and stay safe:grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Stu9000
    Yes welcome to the family. So glad you got sorted. And great to hear you are enjoying the bike. Lovely pictures there.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Stu :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    #9 Dartplayer, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
    Hi Stu and welcome to the forum (from 2021) :cool: you get the prize for best introduction yet and it is on my adolescent dream of a T-bird 900 :heart_eyes:.
    Really enjoyed your reintroduction to riding and to think it was only the job choice that kicked it off.:party:
    I hope Mrs Stu gets on the back and you manage to maintain your speed control :imp:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Stu9000

Stu9000 Member

Nov 4, 2021
    Kingston-upon-thames
    Hi Joe... Yeah, not quite sorted. Still working on that rattle. But she is still a great bike and it's all part of the process of getting to know her.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Brilliant bike you have there, I've had mine 27 years now. Best bike I've ever owned. Enjoy yours. :):)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The rattle will almost certainly be -cam chain- related in some way.
    They aren't expensive to replace ! I had a '94 trident , did the cam chain in a service schedule at the dealership , was $160 of the $300 odd for the full service ! I did do all my own oil's and such myself , so partially serviced before I took her in.
    130,000 km before chain required replacement ! You are probably safe for a few more miles before you Will have to do the chain ! They can start a bit of a rattle long before service life is up !

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Stu9000: Welcome back to the bikers community and welcome to the forum. Your bike is great! Enjoy it!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    Eyup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Stu9000

Stu9000 Member

Nov 4, 2021
    Kingston-upon-thames
    Thanks. This is encouraging. It does sound cam chainy ish. 28k on the clock. Will try the easier stuff and then think about getting it sorted by the pro's.

• Like Like x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Stu9000
    Wish you all the luck in the world mate and that is meant. But even a new cam chain won't break the bank for something you love and will give you so much pleasure. If you are passing a dealer ask them to have a listen and give you their thoughts. Then call a good dealer like the one i now found in Woburn green. They said they can do every thing Triumph do only half the price.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Stu9000

Stu9000 Member

Nov 4, 2021
    Kingston-upon-thames
    Thanks Joe. Wise words. She is worth the time and , if required, the money. I'm working the problem. As with computers, boat diesel engines and outboards, failure is frustrating but all part of the learning process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome….

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hi and welcome to the forum, Stu! And welcome back to the world of biking. That is a beautiful bike you found and I hope you enjoy the heck out of it. From the looks of it you already are. :) Thanks for the great photos...looking forward to more.