America Yet Another Modification

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by SUPERGRANDAD, Aug 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

No problem mate hope you get it sorted :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dave Boston

Dave Boston New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Evesham, Worcs
    Yes sorted. Easy when you undo the correct fixings!! thanks to you. You may have crossed this slight annoyance. When I'm going slowly in traffic I find it hard not to stop this clink- clunk as I moving slowly and slow down. The chain and sprockets are A1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Where do you think the noise is coming from :confused:
    Front end?
    Back end?
    Engine?
    You say the chain and sprockets are good but are they adjusted correctly :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dave Boston

Dave Boston New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Evesham, Worcs
    Yes correctly adjusted. I thought it might be that. 20-25mm in midway. I think it maybe the engine area. The forks have no slack

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Try changing down a bit sooner as you’re slowing down as hanging on to a gear will labour the engine and gearbox giving rise to juddering and trying to stall :confused:
    If you then pull the clutch in everything goes loose in the gearbox and drive train and when you let it out again any slack is taken up again and this could be the noise you’re on about :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dave Boston

Dave Boston New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Evesham, Worcs
    Could well be. I can't try that out for a while but I take on board what you say. Thanks very much. I'll leave you alone now. All the best---Dave

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

No problem mate
    There’s people on here a lot more knowledgeable than myself but if I can help I’ll give it a go :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dave Boston

Dave Boston New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Evesham, Worcs
    It's really good to be able to able to get in touch with somebody. I think you can soon weigh people up. Found a different problem now. I felt underneath the left hand exhaust and came across some small rough areas. Took exhaust off and there was hole by the time I peeled the chrome off about 6mm dia and a couple a bit less. Doh.!! I'm glad it's winter.. I thought of lightly filing the patches down with care and then will try put a washer or similar behind with a hooked bit of wire and then use some JB weld. Make good then spray with aluminium high heat. Shame I can't get chrome colour heat resistant..

• Like Like x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Have a look on eBay mate you never know your luck :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dave Boston

Dave Boston New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Evesham, Worcs
    Have tried but the nearest I can get is aluminum. I will try again but at least the repairs won't be easily visible when back on bike .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #31 Wire-Wheels, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    I am kind.of.late.to this discussion, but I like.the idea of dropping the front a few millimeters
    My Sprint has had this done to it by the previous owner, and I like.how it handles.I might have a go at doing this to my America as well. It should keep the front a little better planted in the corners. The America got a serious brake upgrade [Pretech] this year and I think this modification would go well with that. Thanks for the good idea. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dave Boston.
    Not sure I got this right but most silencers have a small hole in them to let condensation drip out.
    Happy Christmas.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dave Boston

Dave Boston New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Evesham, Worcs
    Hope this goes alright for you. I haven't tried mine out since I've done it as have just Sorned the bike. I'm confident that it will make that difference that we're looking for.I'll make a note of the brake update. That's useful to know. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dave Boston

Dave Boston New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Evesham, Worcs
    I wish it was that . No-- the bigger hole was ragged plus two smaller ragged holes. I've just had a plated welded over the area . I was told it was very difficult to do as the metal was very thin. I think I'll try and get some Tor silencers or similar and keep the standard ones by. The damage is not seen as it's right underneath. Cheers to you for Xmas.

• Like Like x 2