Yesterday

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by feckless, Nov 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    went into my local hospital (Furness General) for an Arthroscopy to clean out the shit of my knackered knee. got in at 12.30 and spoke to the consultant about what he was he doing going to do, clean up and arthritic bone removal.
    great got admitted by the nurses and sat there for 1/2hr then told I wasn't on the theatre list ?? consultant came back and said we will put you on the list for end of day. I sat there till 17:15 then got told sorry we had an emergency and cannot do your procedure today.
    to say I was gutted is an understatement I do not like hospitals and had built myself up to the op to be told not today.
    in fairness it was due to an emergency so they deserve the place far more than me and are welcome to it.
    my gripe Iswho fucked up with the theatre list??
    any way rant over

sorry just realised this should be in rant of the day LOL but what the hell I have wrote it now

• Like Like x 4
  2. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    the appointment letter should have a reference which will include the writers initials. that's a good place to start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    not looking to apportion blame Judd, was just pissed off, my daughter and wife have been in the NHS for years, on the whole they do a superb job. I had leg re-alignment surgery yrs ago and it transformed my life
    mistakes happen mate

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

#4 DCS222, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2019
    Sorry to hear your story. By the sound of it, The surgeon did his best to ensure you had a chance of being done having discovered the error on the day... but the full back story will be much more complicated than you would ever imagine... and believe it or not it boils down to senior management trying to get a handle on theatre efficiency but arguably making it worse (but that’s a huge story with a lot of history tied to it) Edit:- This point is debatable and for balance, it should be said that your individual case could be blamed on one or two specific individuals somewhere, but I personally feel there is an underlying issue with target driven healthcare at the heart of it.
    Should you feel an explanation is in order, you are well within your rights to ask why it happened and what lessons have been learned to stop this error happening again. This is what is known as a clinical incident and should have been recorded as such so that the hospital can go through appropriate governance procedures to effect improvement/change. If you go to the hospitals Patient Advice and Liaison Service, they are there to help and represent people like yourself... you’re not making a fuss, there is due process to be followed and all you are asking is that the hospital is taking these issues seriously. The PALS for Furness General Hospital is here... halfway down the page

https://www.uhmb.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/compliments-concerns-complaints/

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    @feckless i had a knee arthroscopy a few years back and honestly theres nothing to worry about so no need to wind yourself up in advance ;)
    I was in and out in the day with a J tear to the cartilage resolved and its far better than the other one now despite a torn ACL :worried:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Thanks mate , I was just pissed off as I had got myself wound up, I am not going to complain as I think they do a great job and have served me well in the past

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    cheers Eldon I had one many yrs ago on the same knee just do not feel easy in them places funnily enough I feel the same on planes
    propably a control thing LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

like I say, it’s not complaining as such, but highlighting a procedural issue that shouldn’t happen, the governance of the hospital should take steps to stop it happening again... they shouldn’t “attack” the individual who made the error (unless they are repeating the issues) but review the circumstances to why it happened and enable improvement

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    are you local to barrow then DCS?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I couldn’t possibly say... :mask:

but all hospitals have the same basic governance requirements!!!

You ain’t seen me, right?

C19DDBD2-081D-4924-80AC-059F41E9A108.gif

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Sad story mate, I hope you get a new appointment soon. Well done for not looking at complaining, there is far to much whinging going on in society today.. I'm sure the hospital will investigate why the error occurred without your pushing..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    There is a big difference between complaining or whinging to benefit yourself in some way and using the correct procedure to ensure that an internal investigation has been conducted to enhance the service given and procedures used for the patients :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Back in on the 4th December, hopefully get to see the theatre this time ;);)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good luck mate.....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    What you gonna see ( in the theatre)o_O:mask:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tim L

Tim L Active Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Norn Iron
    I've been there too (arthroscopy on my ankle) and its frustrating, but when you recover the difference is worth it!

On the targets ruining things in the NHS front: when you go to A&E in my local hospitals, you are met by a receptionist (one of three) within a couple of minutes - target met! You are then seen by a triage nurse (again one of three) usually an hour or two later, but no worries there - the target has already been met. Bin the three receptionists, employ another nurse and make the system actually work. You may not meet your targets, but people will be sorted quicker and more efficiently. It may also be cheaper to run

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    Flashing Blades :p:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Seems there area few forum members in and around (or not???) from my local area. almost enough to form a `chapter`!:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    How many do you need for a chapter Dawsy?? what happened the disciples??

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    one of life s great questions-How many bikers make up a chapter? :)
    still going as far as I am aware

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1