Yellow Triumph Coolant Mixing With Original Green Coolant

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Charles P Vanacore, Jun 10, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Charles P Vanacore

Charles P Vanacore New Member

Jul 4, 2021
    New Jersey USA
    The dealer told me that mixing the original HOAT green coolant that came with my 2017 street cup "should" be able to be mixed with the new yellow Triumph coolant as they don't make the green "stuff" anymore. I just wanted to top off my expansion tank as it shows no coolant level. I have not noticed any overheating issues when I ride the bike which is not often. Anyone have experience with this issue??

2. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Don't mix them. If you look at the description online of companies selling the new stuff, it says:

Triumph D2053 OAT is coloured orange compared to the Triumph HD4X OAT which is coloured green. The two coolants MUST NOT BE MIXED TOGETHER as this could result in a reduced cooling performance and a reduction in corrosion resistance.
    When I changed my coolant using the new stuff I completely flushed the system out with water first. (In fact I actually changed the coolant twice as I realised to get coolant out properly you need to run the bike until it gets up to temperatue and the thermostat valve opens).

Is this the first time you checked the level? Could it be that it wasn't correctly full when you got the bike?

If you know it's gone down I'd be asking myself where the coolant has gone, it's a closed system so shouldn't disappear - though I'm sure no expert on these things, perhaps someone else will chip in here?

3. Charles P Vanacore

Jul 4, 2021
    New Jersey USA
    #3 Charles P Vanacore, Jun 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    Thank you for the response. Probably low since I bought the bike last summer. The dealer seemed to have missed a few items. Such as oil, since it came out like mud when I change it this spring. I don't ride it all that much due to my current life situation. I think until I flush the entire system, I'm going to just add some distilled water until I get an opportunity to flush the system as you recommended. Now I'm totally confused because the Triumph branded coolant I bought at the dealer is not the same as in the link. Thanks again

4. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Perhaps it's the old stuff, what's the part number on it? Old coolant is A9610050, new is T4007777.

Of course, if you're doubtful about the history of the bike, you can't know if what's in there is the original OEM stuff or not.

5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I've no idea what the price of "Triumph" branded coolant is but I've used Halfords OAT coolant in the car and the bikes for years. The name isn't important, it's the compatibility specs that count. When I fitted a new rad to the ZZR some years ago I was advised to use Kawasaki's recommended coolant, can't remember which brand, may have been Motul or Motorex but it was way more expensive than the Halfords stuff. Feck that, an engine is an engine!:)
    I've thought of switching to the Evans waterless stuff a few times but the benefits vs cost equation always killed it for me. It may last the life of the engine and have a far higher boiling point but the long life OAT stuff works just fine and you can change it several times over for the same cost.

6. Charles P Vanacore

Jul 4, 2021
    New Jersey USA

7. Charles P Vanacore

Jul 4, 2021
    New Jersey USA
    #7 Charles P Vanacore, Jun 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    The label is different but the part # is the same, so same stuff. Thanks again. Once I top it off I will monitor it to see if in fact there is a coolant loss problem.

8. Charles P Vanacore

Jul 4, 2021
    New Jersey USA
    It cost me 12.00 US for a container. I just wanted to add a bit of coolant as the reservoir was low. As usual a small issue mushroomed because they don't make the original to bike coolant anymore. I did not want to do a flush at this time. Yes, I agree if the specs are correct than it shouldn't matter after you flush out the existing coolant.