Wtf,,, No Thanks

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Tiglet, Mar 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #21 Eldon, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Nothing, this is the biplane owners club forum isn't it?

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I'm not pooh poohing it as such I'm suggesting caution. As Judd said when racers start accepting and using them then that would add some credibility.
    Until then I personally will sit on the sideline and observe.
    Nothing new here for me as I rarely buy the latest and greatest first year issue of anything but may buy it two or three versions/years down the line.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Ha Ha, I guess I could put some Velcro on the top of my head to attatch. I don't have any hair to get in the way, it's all on the bottom of my face!

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Graeme_D

Graeme_D Active Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Edinburgh
    TL:DR
    It's a great idea, but won't take over from solid shell helmets, because it doesn't do what most people want any better than what they have, but does do a few things worse.

Full:
    It is a great idea, that can't be denied, and I'm sure for some riders out there it'd be perfect.
    However like any idea, generally it will have to be exceed the current technology for the majority to accept it. There have been many innovative ideas (in every aspect of our lives) that have fallen to the gutter because they didn't do their job any better than what was currently available. How many times have you or your wife/husband/partner bought the 'new fangled super dicer kitchen masher chopper blender', only to go back to the good old knife and chopping board once the novelty has worn off?

A solid shell helmet does the job most people need it to, and on the whole cheaply and reliably. Price? It's a lot more expensive that what most people will spend on a helmet. A hinge and locking mechanism adds weight. I'm assuming waterproofing has been tested over repeated open/close cycles? Does the hinge stay aligned over repeated cycles? Wind noise increased? Has the helmet been crash tested? From last time I looked (admittedly a couple years ago), less than half of flip front helmets stay closed during testing. Not as much use being easy to remove by paramedics if it's already left your head.

I think that's why people are poo-pooing it. It's a great idea, and it will have it's place in the range, but it just won't take over from a traditional solid shell because of the same limitations as a flip front helmet.

I have had a flip front (schuberth C2) in the past as I liked the flippy idea. But I've not had one since, because it was heavy, noisy, trouble with it locking, and because it didn't have a removable chin curtain (it was a thick cushion thing that was suppose to seal with the neck), it was damn uncomfortable to wear and move my head! Also, steamed glasses every time it rained because ventilation was poor (back to neck seal).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

A while ago the major cause of death in Indy 500 racing was brain stem death - when a heavy helmet wants to carry on going during a smash, but the body is strapped in. This breaks the brain stem. Brain stem death - simple. The solution was equally simple; to attach the helmet to a body plate or car so the lid (Head and neck) couldn’t fly forward in a crash - Head/neck restraints.

They asked the top Indy racer to endorse it. He refused, ranting that it was crap. He died in his next race (or soon after) from - brain stem death...

Fcuking idiot.

Everyone started fixing their lids after that...

Motto of the story - pro racers are idiots too...

6. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    that may while be true, consider that majority of vehicle safety was developed in motorsport...… or by volvo…..

7. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

That’s entirely different :yum

Volvo (three point seat belt) and Mercedes (first air bags) and the like did loads for safety. Britain made the Austin Allegro...

Motorsport gave us disk brakes, carbon fibre, ABS, etc - but that’s all done by engineers not usually the pro racer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Moto-legends will beat any price by 10%… regardless of whether its a sale price… https://www.motolegends.com/helmets

9. Albundy

Albundy Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Bridgwater, Somerset
    Have you seen the price of the damn thing?!!! If I was spending that sort of money on a helmet it would have to shoei, agv, arai or similar 'top' brands as worn by professional racers.

10. Albundy

Albundy Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Bridgwater, Somerset
    The Sinclair C5 was a great idea. Turned out to be total shite in the real world

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Ian Dawson

Ian Dawson Member

Mar 9, 2019
    Stockport Cheshire
    The only kitemark will be the one you fly with that

12. DaveJC

DaveJC Member

Dec 5, 2018
    norfok
    Are you sure this advert wasn't intended for April 1st?

13. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    It could have been and someone pressed the wrong key :grinning:

14. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Reading this I remember the fatal accident at the 1983 500cc grands prix at Silverstone. Two riders died as a result of an unsighted collision, Norman Brown and Peter Huber. Huber had massive head injuries and I believe it’s because his helmet came off, point being, I seem to remember that it was a new design but I can’t find any information on the web about it. Anyone else remember this or know any more information.
    * I understand helmet technology and design has come along way since then and I’m not suggesting it’s the same kind of helmet, just curious *

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    I remember that day as I was there at Copse corner.

I think Norman Brown was having machine problems and he was touring back to the pits when the accident happened.
    Did the accident happen at Stowe or Abbey area of the circuit.

Norman was a up and coming young Irish rider who was showing great potential.

• Agree Agree x 1