Wsbk It’s Been A Week......

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Yorkshireman, Nov 26, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    so hopefully you’ve all seen the last races and I won’t get burned for posting spoilers. o_O
    Just wanted to post big congratulations to Toprak on winning his first world SBK championship. Rea pushed hard all year and was clearly over riding the Kawasaki on occasions leading to a few mistakes but couldn’t get near Toprak on the brakes (no one could) Still, it was a hugely entertaining all season non the less.
    Also well done Yamaha, MotoGP champions, WSBK champions, BSB champions, MotoAmerica champions, they clearly improved the R1 from being one of the slowest bikes to being able to out accelerate the Kawasaki and on occasion the Ducati (did Ten Kate end up tuning the WSBK engines??). Kawasaki were hampered slightly by the reduction in RPM but I don’t think Rea, armed with that extra top end, would have beaten Toprak anyway.
    So we look forward to next season with a few riders changing bikes and also the new regulations for world supersport allowing bigger twin cylinder bikes with electronic wizardry supposedly levelling things up, we’ll see.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Yeah well dont to Toprak and more so, Yamaha. Now all they gotta do is get some more beans out if the m1 to deal with 8 Ducatis and upgraded Hondas next year, I feel sorry for Fabio.
    Perhaps they need the r1 in motogp, lol.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Agree with all the above, Toprak, Rea & Redding were a class above. A shame Redding didn't have his late season form more consistently, although he was nearly always much faster (219pts ahead!) than Rinaldi, it will be interesting to see how he gets on with that BMW next year - will be a challenge I think.
    Did Redding jump before he was pushed? He seems to speak well of his team, can't help thinking the problem was higher up, shades of Dovi - Dall'Igna - Domenicali I suspect, Ducati's loss IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    WorldSBK commentator Steve English takes a dive into the bikes that will compete in the 2022 WorldSSP season including new machines and returning manufacturers

The biggest shake-up in the history of the FIM Supersport World Championship is on the horizon. After recent years of consistent Yamaha success, the class is now set to become one of the most hotly contested series in the world with the return of manufacturers and new bikes taking to the field in 2022.

With five manufacturers on the grid, and bikes from Suzuki and Honda also homologated, parity is the watchword in the intermediate class. The FIM have introduced new regulations that will allow the twin-cylinder Ducati to compete alongside the Triumph and MV Agusta triples and the four-cylinder offerings from Yamaha and Kawasaki. The successful use of performance balancing in the FIM Supersport 300 World Championship has given the FIM experience of how best to allow each manufacturer to have a chance to compete for a World Championship on a level playing field.

In recent years, the ever-changing landscape of the road bike market, which sets the basis for all bikes in the WorldSBK paddock, has limited the opportunities for teams to run a diverse set of bikes in the intermediate class. With different engine configurations, capacities and weights, the balancing will be closely monitored to ensure that the Supersport class is competitive.

The biggest headline for the Supersport class is that Ducati are back in the class. With seven Panigale V2 machines lining up on the grid, the 955cc twin cylinder machine is arguably the most lusted after bike in the class. The standard bike generates 155bhp but will have fewer revs available to other manufacturers due to the nature of a twin-cylinder machine and should cap out at around 11,000rpm. With established race winners like Federico Caricasulo (Althea Racing) and Rafael de Rosa (Ducati Orelac Racing VerdNatura) joining a strong stable of rookies, the Italian machine will be at the front of the field. Former Moto2™ rider Nicolo Bulega steps into the Supersport class with the support of the Aruba.it Racing WorldSSP Team. The Ducati’s pace was already on show at a recent Portimao test with Bulega lapping faster than Jules Cluzel’s (GMT94 Yamaha) pole time from 2021.

Triumph return to the class for the first time since 2018 with the Street Triple. This three-cylinder machine will have a 675cc motor and should rev to around 14,000rpm. Last year, the bike was trialled in the British Supersport class with WorldSSP race winner Kyle Smith partnered with Brandon Paasch. The duo combined for five podiums and two race wins. Interestingly for Triumph, one of their best weekends of 2021 in Britain was at Donington Park where Paasch had two podium finishes. The British round of the 2022 WorldSSP campaign will certainly be one that the Dynavolt Team will earmark as one to watch for the experienced Hannes Sommer and former Moto2™ rider Stefano Manzi.

Kawasaki will once again be represented in the class but this year they will be able to use the 636cc ZX-6R. Last year in the British Supersport class, this bike dominated in the hands of Jack Kennedy and, for Can Öncü, he will expect to continue the progress he made late in 2021. The Turkish star will be joined by a host of rookies with a lot of expectation on Adrian Huertas as the WorldSSP300 Champion steps up to the intermediate class. The Kawasaki is a four-cylinder machine that should be similar to last year’s bike.

Yamaha, WorldSSP Champions for the last five years, will retain their YZF-R6 machine and while the Ducati has a more powerful engine the Yamaha is nimble, and teams have lots of data about their package. Ten Kate Racing Yamaha will once again return to the class with Dominque Aegerter out to defend his title and the four-cylinder R6 is set to rev to 16,400rpm. With Jules Cluzel and Lorenzo Baldassarri also riding the Yamaha we can be sure to see it at the front throughout the campaign.

The final bike on the grid is a very interesting one. The MV Agusta F3 is an 800cc triple cylinder bike that will have less revs available to it than last year’s 675cc machine but from winter testing it has shown itself to be very competitive. The biggest issue for MV Agusta in the past was that they were always on the limit with their package. Testing left Niki Tuuli walking around the paddock with a big smile on his face as the MV was already able to set similar lap times to the Kawasaki at Jerez, with Tuuli discussing how the new engine may help him in 2022.

With all new regulations comes the question marks over how teams will get the most from their packages. In testing, the times for WorldSSP machines have been close but the way they generate their lap time has been very different. Balancing the rules so that one manufacturer doesn’t have a significant advantage will be tricky but with pre-season testing continuing the FIM will gather more and more information. The final test, the Dorna Supported WorldSBK test at MotorLand Aragon before the opening round of the season, will arguably be the most important for WorldSSP as it gets ready for what should be an historic season.

Rev limits in WorldSSP in 2022 will be confirmed after the balance tests have been completed and following on-track performance closely.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Well, they said they were mixing it up a bit for this year. Interesting that Triumph are using the 675cc triple and MV the 800 triple.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Having both engines in my garage, I am forced to agree. :blush:

7. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    Eurosport is no longer part of my BT sports package so it'll be watching the highlights on ITV4 this year.

8. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I pay for that separately, too. Annoyingly, I can't get it on my TV very easily as there's no Roku app.

9. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    BT sport are suposed to be in talks with discovery + who own eurosport to go into some form of partnership so it might come back to the basic BT sport package at some stage but I'm not paying £40 a month for their premium sports subscription to get it.

10. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I’ve got an offer of 12 months of discovery + fer nowt so I may look into that. Have to catch up on MotoGp on the highlights prog, just too much to pay on top of the normal sky fees :mad:

11. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I took out a Eurosport subscription once BT dropped it (still get Motogp via BT). Bought a Amazon Firestick so I can view the Eurosport app on TV which is not too bad cost over the year.
    Pisses me off that we have to subsidise poofballs vast wages if we want to view bike racing though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yes it is increasingly expensive to watch motorsport on TV these days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    They used to say (probably still do) that if it’s got t!t$ or tyres it’s going to cost you, big time :mad:
    Well, that slab of glass and plastic in the corner of the room might as well be made by Michelin or Victoria’s Secret (google Heavenly Star;))