Thruxton Wreck, Damaged Alternator Cover, Potentially More...

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Chris Goy, Dec 1, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Goy

Chris Goy New Member

Oct 22, 2017
    San Francisco, CA
    Howdy,

Bike: 2017 Thruxton 1200 R
    Short Version:

Got into a wreck. Replaced scratched-up alternator cover. Did multiple short test rides to confirm no leaks earlier this year. Recently (re)installed stock sprockets and chain. Did another test drive and noticed a significant leak coming from the alternator cover after the engine has warmed up. Think my engine block may be damaged which is causing a leak between it and my new alternator cover. Is this repairable? Is it worth it?

Long Version:
    I've had my Thruxton 1200 R since fall 2017. I got into a wreck on 101 in front of SFO in March of 2019. Thankfully I've been able to recover from my injuries and I'm gearing up my bike (finally) to do some more regular riding.

The damage to my bike seemed pretty superficial and all on the right side:
    - Broken brake handle
    - Bar-end scratched up
    - mirror broken
    - exhaust was dented and scratched up significantly
    - alternator cover scratched up significantly

I have replaced all of the scratched-up parts and had done multiple short test rides to make sure everything was sealed up and proper. Seemed like I had done an OK job.

Fast forward to yesterday: I had replaced the front and rear sprockets at some point because... who knows why, but I recently ordered the stock sprocket and chain setup and reinstalled that onto the bike. I took the bike out for a test ride yesterday and noticed that there was a significant leak from the replaced alternator cover.

This hadn't happened on any of my other test rides before this one. My guess is that the gasket sealant held up ok for the first several rides and then it deteriorated recently because of underlying damage to the engine block causing small gaps between the alternator cover and the engine block that I cannot make out with my naked eye.

I have ordered a new gasket and I will use a level to see if I can perceive any unevenness on the engine block.

My question is: does anyone have experience with how much this might cost? Is this something that can even be fixed?

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

Exactly too much.

Sorry about this, bro’. I’m no stranger to road rash.