Featured 765 Wow What A Bike...!

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by MattGaydon, Jan 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Wouldn't bother doing anything with the suspension until the running in is done.
    I had mine in 2017, rode a 2017 Speed when I took the RS for service & found it felt bulky & heavy compared to the 765, the gearbox was also far less slick on the Speed, overall if I rode the 2 bikes back to back down the same set of twisties I would be more confident on the 765 than I would be the Speed.
    As you say, there isn't really a lack of grunt on the RS but obviously the torque figures don't lie so the bigger bike is always going to pull harder from lower.
    I think a lot of riders get hung up on having the bigger engine, if you can see past that & enjoy the fact that you can ride the wheels off the smaller bike, then you will enjoy your rides far more. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    There was a noticeable difference when I test rode the 765 and Speed the last time, enough to make me go for the Speed back in 2017.
    But that has definitely shrunk with the 2020 765 motor, it's a major improvement over the older 765:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Better get me a test ride on one then mate, as I loved the 'old' one & thought that went well! :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Could be an expensive test ride :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    :joy::joy: Noooooo! :eek::eek:

Mrs Billy hasn't yet lifted her embargo on test rides :(, part of the deal when I started racing I am afraid, coz she ain't stupid :worried:, test ride and I like, equals sale, can't afford to race & have new bike for road so I guess she's right ... as always :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I was debating whether to use the Street for trackdays, but having ridden it now I'll keep it for the road I think as it would have to be one or the other.
    I still have the CBR600RR which I was just going to sell, so I'll probably part ex/swap that for a race/track bike that's a bit bigger instead:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    There were some absolute bargain track/race bikes about while there was no racing or even trackdays.

Difficult to know what to do for the best with a track bike, round most tracks a 600/4 sports bike is plenty quick enough, they have as much power as my 1000 V twin but I prefer the way mine makes it's power and how it holds corner speed, suits me more than the brake/point/squirt style of the IL4's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Sounds like we use the same algorithm, Billy. :rolleyes::joy: Test ride = Sale

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I just want one that doesn't make me fold up like a pretzel, like the CBR600rr does o_O

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I'm very happy with my 68 plate 765 but if as you say the 2020 is that much different then maybe a test ride is needed.
    Just got a recall letter today for the front brake pads so need to go to the main dealers anyway.

Funny at the last main dealer service, 6000 mile, I was surprised no comment was made over the front pads; maybe they forgot to look?
    I'd previously noted them getting low so had ordered replacements which currently reside in the garage..... looks like they could be sat there for a while now : unamused:

• Like Like x 2
  11. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    It's been about 3 years since I rode the original Street RS, but from what I remember it felt like the 675R I'd had a few years previous, i.e. it pulled quite well through the rev range but you really needed to get it spinning to make the most of it, above about 8000rpm it took off.
    The 2020 RS seems to pull a lot better already and I'm still not going above 6000rpm so far......

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    As I've said previously my CB1000R only positive credit against the 765 rs in my opinion was a stronger low to mid range.
    Maybe the 2020 now brings them both on par.

The 765 wins hands down against the older CB1000R in my opinion despite the torque difference. The updated CB1000R in my mind was too little too late to keep previous buyers entertained and should have happened five years or so plus earlier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Been out again today for another 150 miles, wheelies off the throttle in first are a piece of the proverbial, and certainly no lack of mid range for overtakes :)
    Managed to lock the front twice leant over on one roundabout trail braking (pilot error), let go of the brake and it recovered both times thanks to the bike and it's sticky rubber. :D
    New pads are bedded in.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'll bet those new pads are bedded in, @tcbandituk! Wheeeee! Sounds like a wild ride. :grinning::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #55 Eldon, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Well first ride out for 2020 today....
    Day starts off with the road tax faff with a plan for my mate and I to have a blast. Both freshly taxed, quick coffee at mine and we're off.
    Aim for North York Moors, avoid main roads and Whitby crowds. A combination of interesting back roads stitched together kept us away from traffic and people.

Ooh it was nice to be back out on the 765.
    Nicely pulling through the slick gearbox with the quickshifter working faultlessly progress was efficient
    This bike is just great, good suspension and very strong brakes all add up to an impressive package.
    A quick pee stop, mate has a fag and we're off again.
    Smooth curves and back lane scratching was working well and nicely satifying the itch.
    I, leading, catches a silver van and on next suitable straight pulls out for us both to get by. I go, he doesn't but I enjoy the next twisty section before a village. Mate nowhere in sight, I pull up and the silver van flashes his headlights and stops next to me.
    " you're mate fell off on that last left hander before the bridge!"
    "Oh cheers "

Oh 80ll0cks thinks I.
    That was a particularly tricky blind left hander.
    I rush back to see him thankfully ok although with a crowd around him.

The bikes slid off the road after the front washed out. Jumped off a small banking, dug in, flipped and trashed itself.
    No clocks, key snapped in half.
    Rear subframe trashed, battery and rear light next to sprocket.
    Etc, etc.

Luckily only a bruised back/ribs and broken right index finger.

Nice intro and first ride out for 2020 dont you think?

20200601_111429.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa

That is bad Eldon, looks like substantial damage too. Glad though your mate did not sustain very serious injuries.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    What a b@gger, glad your mate is ok. Just a gental reminder to take things steady when you set off on your first ride of the season......

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Eldon
    Although i am so very glad your mate is not to bad after his tumble. I do feel so bad for him and his pride and joy. It must be a real bummer to lose the bike on a silly bit of road. Do wish him well from me. And now it's spurred me on to get my 675 sorted. It has a little flat spot on the rear and you can feel it quite a bit on corners especially left handers.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Unlucky day and possibly just one of those things. There were two grates on the approach and I just wondered if pushing the front they didn't offer the same friction/grip and the front tyre was overloaded as a result.

Hospital checked him out and no doubt he'll be sore tomorrow but otherwise just dented pride.

Ride safe everyone and as Boris said, stay alert!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mysta

Mysta New Member

Jun 6, 2020
    US
    Yeah I made the mistake of sitting on a 765 recently and loved it. But as a trade off I love the single sided swing arm and cruise control on the Speed but can't seem to find one around to ride. Also a little annoying that the better headlights are only on the 2020 Street not Speed. So I guess now I'm wondering one, how can I try a Speed out, and two, if I like it do I(can I) wait for the upgraded headlights.

• Like Like x 2