Featured 765 Wow What A Bike...!

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by MattGaydon, Jan 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    That was a pain in the arse, having to switch back to rider mode & disable everything again after a fuel stop etc :mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    It's worse now with Euro5, you do anything to the ABS and it either disables the ignition or drops the power, so can't just pull the fuse like before :mad::rolleyes:
    Only way on 2020 is to replace the brake lines with direct ones and block off the ABS unit from what I understand.:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Yep agreed so I dont bother with it as cant be arsed constantly resetting.

Interesting update you provided there @tcbandituk and in the scheme of things seems logical although maybe not what the owner wants as in your case.
    Default to safety would be the norm but if the abs power supply was disconnected i.e. pulled fuse/relay, would this provide a work around for you?

I have noticed that the rear abs is far more intrusive (68 plate model) than what the CB1000R was although not sure if this is partly down to the weight difference and unloading of the rear tyre.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Pulling the ABS fuse disables the ignition. :(

Could be the ABS being more intrusive but also lightweight and shorter wheelbase will make it more likely to cut in than on a CB1000R

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, I do love my Speedy! :heart::)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #26 Sandi T, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    I'm 5 ft 7 in so not all that tall but the Speed fits me better than the Street or at least I feel more comfortable it ergonomically. Love 'em both!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Streetgirl675

Streetgirl675 ...otherwise known as Streetgirl765

Dec 19, 2019
    Cheshire
    My OH said the same. Took a 1050 out while his 765 was having a service. He said although it was faster, it was just too smooth. The smaller cc bikes are a little more o_O I think.
    Depends what you like in a bike :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
    Wicked cool , felt the same way about the 765 Moto 2 Daytona ..it would look sweet next to my TFC but I'd die in a day on it

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Warren71

Warren71 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    I would love to hear your take on the comps.
    I went from a '10 street triple to a '18 Speed.
    After 2,000 miles ... i'm still not in love.
    The power is intoxicating, more stable on the road and better wind protection,

But not as flickable, doesn't yet feel like an extension of my body and I'm not loving the forward cant on the seat, just too committed. The higher COG than my BMW and street also has taken time to get accustomed to.

I dumped my 675 looking for more midrange, easier top end and a more planted ride, which the speed offered, but I'm just not feeling at one with it.

what have you lost or gained from going speed to street?
    Is the seat more neutral on the street?
    Midrange not too lacking?
    Planted on the road

The street always put a smile on my face in the way no other bike had. I havent gotten that back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    I have a 19 street triple rs, love it so far due to the light weight, so you can flick fl into corners. Tiny wind deflector works very well indeed up to an air speed of about 120 mph. 2020 model is supposed to have 10% more mid range, over mine which I do not find lacking, but would like for sure. 2020 is a few pounds lighter with less inertial mass so I hear. So better acceleration. I have not completely gelled with the bike like my very well sorted and modified sv650 that I rode for 9 years. At only 2300 miles on the clock and the sag and suspension not dialed in it's not to the zen mode of look and go mode yet like the sv. Should get to that point this summer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #31 Eldon, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Ive got a 68 plate street RS and just love it. My previous CB1000R had more mid range pull but that is the only credit to it over the 765.
    Brakes, especially suspension, weight, top end rush etc. are all superior on the Triumph. Though to be honest the Honda felt far less top heavy than a previous Speed I sat on.

The 765 is such a sweet, lightweight bike which may be a bit on the small side for big guys but @Bad Billy loved his and he's 6'2" and chunky :joy:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #32 Eldon, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Ive got a 68 plate street RS and just love it. My previous CB1000R had more mid range pull but that is the only credit to it over the 765.
    Brakes, especially suspension, weight, top end rush etc. are all superior on the Triumph.

The Honda did however feel less top heavy than a previous Speed I sat on.

The 765 is such a sweet, lightweight bike which may be a bit on the small side for big guys but @Bad Billy loved his and he's 6'2" and chunky :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    How very dare you :( .... I sir, am a finely honed athlete :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Well youre getting there it just takes time :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I had a look at the Street Triple RS when I was looking to move on my Speed Twin. Decided like other before that I would either end up in hospital or dead, so went for the Tiger Sport. This has plenty of performance for me and offers a more capable touring option...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bryf

Bryf Guest

Think maybe its a misspelling Billy, don't think he meant to put the C in chunky

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Warren71

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    curious why you made the move and what you think afterwards.

What was better and what was worse moving to the street?

After 30,000 miles, I traded a 2010 ST3 for an '18 Speed RS.

bulkier than I like, though that offers a bit more wind protection and its less flighty on the road imperfections (though the front may still need a damper)

Speed's power is frickin intoxicating, but even after 3k mi, I dont feel I am as confident flicking it about as I was on the old 675. Not sure what it is. I've had heavier bikes ... maybe its the forward seat cant, less room in the seat to move about, the pegs or even the larger tank ... not sure.

On a straight away, I feel the speed is just too much fun, but its a bit much for everything else.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    "Too much fun", @Warren71? I've never heard of that. Is that even possible?! ;) Perhaps I'll make a run at finding that line. :cool::)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Warren71

May 11, 2019
    UTAH

devil grin when you want to just be balls out 20 year old self crazy ... the main rationale to keep this bike.

nothing practical. Nothing relaxed. Not cozy for long distance Just be frickin nuts and hope your wife (or the cops) dont find out and just try to keep from laughing like a insane maniac the whole while.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Only got out on the Street for the first time yesterday, did about 75 miles.
    First impressions are it's obviously similar to ride to the Speed.

The engine is a lot closer grunt wise than when I rode the original 765 RS back to back with the Speed RS, in fact I was quite surprised how close it was to the flexibility of the Speed, not quite the outright abruptness of the Speed's mid range but not far off.
    And remember I'm running it in so didn't really go above about 6000rpm. :)

Handling is the same as the old model i.e very light in a good way but not at all twitchy on bumpy roads and bends.
    Only thing I found was the rear tyre seemed to struggle for grip coming out of bumpy bends but I haven't checked/set up the suspension yet so I'm fairly sure doing that will stop it happening.

Looks like the tank range will be a lot better than the Speed but still to check that.
    The new clocks are pants, I'd rather have the old clocks off my Speed RS!
    And I miss the cruise control, don't know why they didn't have it, there's actually a blank spot for it.....
    On that short trip, those are about the only two points I miss so far from the Speed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1