Would You Ride With A Rear Tyre Professionally Patched.

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Sprinter, May 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    I have one of those cheap Chinese compressors, they are a bit generic and can be found in Army surplus places under all sorts of brand names. A bit bulky to carry on a bike though. Just watch out and make sure your bikes power socket is fused to the right current rating, they can be a little power hungry and they don't have their own fuse. Don't want to melt your own wiring loom! These things are slow as anything and take the gauge to be an indication only, + or - 10 PSI! They are cheap for a reason. Use them for more than ten minutes and they get extremely hot and need a 10 minute cool off period. If you can afford it go upmarket for a bike specific compressor or stick with the little gas canisters (gets my vote).

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    In my experience it takes two neerly three cannisters to inflate a broad rear tyre and top off with a pump
    I've run three or four back tyres until bald with professional tyre plug repair and one front , when tyres cost as much as 3 or 4 days pay ! You don't throw them out

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    can only talk from experience i had a screw in rear tyre which caused puncture,got it plugged by (ride n fit) bike shop paisley and don't even think about it now,ive done about 7/800 mls so far and haven't adjusted my driving style at all well i did for first day or two,as long as its done properly and not just get you home diy i would deffo get it done again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. deaks25

deaks25 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    I recently had a puncture on a basically new rear tyre on my Sprint ST. A local fitter came out, took one look at it and told me it was an easy repair.

He did say that you can get a temporary plug and permanent repair. Obviously the temporary is a get-you-home sort of thing, but he never does them; it's either a permanent repair & the tyre will go it's full life span, or a replacement.

Not had a single problem with it; hold air just as well when it was new. Bonus: because the tyre is scrubbed in, I could ride like normal without having to worry about extra braking distance etc.

• Like Like x 3
  5. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I plugged my ZX10 while in France, and rode it for about 400+ miles (at ZX10 speeds )

• Like Like x 2