Would You Ride With A Rear Tyre Professionally Patched.

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Sprinter, May 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    I got a Kia Picanto pump from the breakers for £5, goes like stink and comes in a handy box of its own.Lots of cars have them and usually dont get used much if at all.
    Mine came with a big bottle of spunky stuff you could screw onto the pump connector as a sealant, but works just as well with out it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    What's the difference between a professional patch & an amateur patch? If you use goooo, you will be unable to professionally repair puncture due to the nature of gooooo. So plug & gas, great temp alternative. Professional plug type patch will outlast wear of tyre if drilled to the correct diameter & fitted correctly. But how do you know? :confused:

3. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    What a great forum this is. I had a new tyre fitted in the summer and within 24 hours got a puncture in the same tyre, all while I was in France. I was expecting another £100 plus for a new tyre but got the bike to the Triumph dealer in La Rochelle, they were excellent and repaired it from the inside. I have done plenty of miles on it since but was still considering getting it changed at next service, but after reading this thread I will wear the tyre out.
    Great advice from very knowledgable bikers. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    What's the difference between a professional patch & an amateur patch? If you use goooo, you will be unable to professionally repair puncture due to the nature of gooooo. So plug & gas, great temp alternative. Professional plug type patch will outlast wear of tyre if drilled to the correct diameter & fitted correctly. But how do you know?
    Its all about trust & confidence. If you find a tyre fitter/ mechanic you trust. Hold him/her very tight & don't let em go, they are a rare breed

5. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Shhhh don’t say things like that some of the inmates in here are already big headed :D
    Glad we can help.
    Jim no I’ve got a similar one, was only a tenner. Then I saw that one afterwards. I would imagine if the RAC are endorsing it that it will be good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I bought a pump that (from the picture on the box) looks exactly the same. Seems to work well enough - Home Bargains £4.99. I don't expect longevity.

7. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Can any one who has canister inflator tell me if there is a pin inside the connector as I have one, not used it but there is not pin inside so how does it push the valve in?
    I know the cannister is pressurized to about 800psi, is that enough to push the valve in?
    I bought it when I had to use a mobility scooter, climbed back onto 2 feet now so if I can use it it will come in handy for Rhonda the Honda.
    Oh, and I don't recomend 'Slime' type product in tubed tyres, make 1 hell of a mess inside the tube and tyre and you cant stick any patch's on it!

8. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Valve pin pushed in under pressure, once pressure in canister falls valve pin will return creating seal. Simples

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Cheers mate!

10. Taipan

Taipan Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Essex
    I use stop n go plugs on tyres now, but in an ideal world I'd remove the tyre and check whatever punctured it hasn't gone through one of the main cords and then plug it with a proper mushroom plug from the inside.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Any one used the 'string' type plug, looks like chewing baccy!
    I've made up a kit with 5 strips, tools, rubber solution & gas canisters/connector.
    I would take an electric pump with me too on longer trips.

12. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Yes me to used them on cars and bikes without any problems at all,

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
  14. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    [​IMG]
    Just bought one of these as new - got it for a fiver complete with repair solution dated until end of 2018 (Citroen spare wheel thingy compressor and gunk all in one) Stick it in my bike trailer as a back up.

• Like Like x 3
  15. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    A case of find the puncture or remove the offending piece of metal if its in a place repairable then ream out the hole well, place one of them sticky strips into the end of hook thingy with more glue applied to its length and push it in until you have about a small piece showing and swiftly remove hook, strip is left in place, blow up the tyre remove excess strip from tyre with sharp knife and be on your way, take it easy for a while as your riding the tyres heat is finishing the job off for you.
    And if your like me check pressure next day if all is fine and YOUR happy then jobs a good-un (IMHO)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
  19. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    This is my tool kit, the pressure gauge is from a 1932 Roll Royce Phantom 11, still as accurate as my Dunlop and digital is today!

IMG_0160.JPG