Featured Worth Two Quid all day long

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by TEZ 217, Apr 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    • Like Like x 6
  2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #2 TEZ 217, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Cheers Jez, :cool:

Remind me next year :p

• Like Like x 1
  3. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    One thing about the K&N is that they are known to fail at the nut.
    Much easier to just use the appropriate filter wrench.
    Then I'm lucky I have a full set of them which covers the most common sizes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Don't know why people would tighten them that way.
    It's always been hand tighten then another quarter turn.
    You are meant to be able to undo them by hand as well.
    Never had that happen as over time they do tighten via vibration etc.
    Used to use the old screwdriver trick in the past but that can be hit and miss.
    Much easier to use the correct filter wrench. I have these https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cht695-oil-filter-cap-wrench-set/
    Covers every size I've come across and was bought as a birthday/Christmas present for me.
    I either buy HiFlo or K&N ( without the nut ) filters

• Like Like x 2
  5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Nice set that Gary if you are planning to work on numerous sizes of filters.
    Otherwise the £2 individual wrench is the way I go, certainly not a screwdriver bashed through the filter.
    I would agree that if a good quality filter is fitted correctly it should never come off until you want it to.
    Never had one (touch wood) in 50 years come loose, and never struggled to remove one that I have fitted.
    Personally I prefer the wrenches that fit the outside profile of the filter rather than the spot welded centre nut. Nut size to O/D ratio lends itself to failure in the wrong hands.
    But as Gary says, hand tight, then quarter of a turn on clean but oiled sealing faces.
    Check with a torque wrench if required for peace of mind.
    One important point: Always fill the new filter with oil before fitting wherever possible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Knowledge is power for which I have neither!

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    I have used K&N Oil Filters for years on all of my bikes, I have never had any problem with them nor anyone I know, of course that don't mean they don't have issues but this is the very first I have heard. I also cant see how one could break the nut on the end unless fitted with a break bar:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frugaltail

Frugaltail Guest

I took an old k&n apart, they now look almost identical to the triumph ones just with a nut... There was no way I could see the but coming off when torqued up correctly, isn't it supposed to be something like 9nm? I normally just screw them on by hand and then just give it a tiny nip with a wrench. I use a cheap adjustable chain to get them off, it's not the best took by any standard but it gets the job done. I don't use k&n filters because I don't see what I'm paying for... So I stick with triumph

• Like Like x 2
  8. Shamus13

Shamus13 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
    Same here, used the K&N for years with no issues.

9. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    They do, been going on for a while. As to what extent of production that fails that is a different matter.
    Still it is an issue , imv one that really shouldn't happen more than once in a blue moon.
    I did have an oil filter fail a few years ago ( wasn't a K&N one but was one I bought out of Halfords. Just can't remember what brand they stock now as I haven't bought any more from there) it's a scarey experience once your rear wheel gets coated with oil.
    I was lucky as it failed just as I had pulled over.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Can you post any pics of you eating the said pie DD :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Watch you don't fall in it! :eek:

12. Shamus13

Shamus13 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
    I shall be keeping an eye on it that's for sure and no doubt i'll be switching to another brand. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  13. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Using another tool is a great option to remove the filter until you get to one that's recessed into the motor and only the filter socket will fit in to remove it.
    If its a K&N type and the nut shears off youre stuck with the hammer and screwdriver and hoping you don't puncture the sump, or drilling holes in the cup socket and filter for screws and hoping it comes free easily.

Done a few of these in the past for ham fisted owners ......

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    The Bonnies oil filter is flush with the sump so a socket is required, at £2 it hardly breaks the bank.
    I was tempted to go for a 'stuck on nut' type but glad I didn't after reading all the adverse posts.
    I'll stick with the OEM filters.