Sprint won't start.........

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by neil1975, Oct 26, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. neil1975

neil1975 New Member

Sep 16, 2015
    teeside
    Any advice guys n gals, went to start bike and it went through the instrument cluster dance, the fuel pump prime, other funny noises. clutch in,starter pressed and nothing just a click from under the seat. Took of said seat and the 'click' is coming from near the battery. any ideas? :(

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Insufficient battery battery. Put the battery on charge for at least 3-4 hrs then try again.

3. neil1975

neil1975 New Member

Sep 16, 2015
    teeside
    any other ideas big lad, went away for 7 days and bike started 1st attempt. bike only been stood 1day?

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I'm with biggy there. That one start could gave been all that was left in her. Check the simplest and work from there, give it a good charge, check the voltage and see what happens when you try to start her. If she starts Don't forget that when you have her idling it probably won't be enough to keep the battery charged so you might have to charge again or take for s run

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I always start with the most basic, simple solutions. Charge the battery, then see how you stand. After all, why wouldn't you?

6. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    I'm with t'others but check your connections if you have not already on Battery and Starter. Try jump leads to get engine running and then do voltage check to see if battery is being charged. Failing that solenoid???

7. neil1975

neil1975 New Member

Sep 16, 2015
    teeside
    battery charged still no start so hopefully garage pick it up tomorrow. checked all connection and OK but garage think it might be starter relay. any advice big costly job???

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Very simple job, if that's what it turns out to be. I take it the motor doesn't turn over, when you try to start her?

9. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I know This sounds mad, but check your bike has a good earth conection.somtimes its a silly thing that causes a big problem, other than that i agree with the lads.

10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Agree with the above - had a similar problem with my old Bonneville and kept telling myself it couldn't be the battery as it was only 9 months old. It was.
    Also check solenoid connections.

11. neil1975

neil1975 New Member

Sep 16, 2015
    teeside
    cheers guys, it did end up being the battery not charging properly due to a dry connection.

• Like Like x 1
  12. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Good to hear that it's been resolved !!!

• Like Like x 1