Scrambler Woeful Fuel Capacity

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Toddy, Jun 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    It’s not as expensive as you may think, I’ve fitted modified Thruxton R shocks on the rear and Ohlins NIX 25 mm cartridges in the forks which have transformed the bike, not sure about the gold gas cartridges on the shocks but I’ve put black springs in to suit the bike a little more. Pics in the Thruxton pictures thread with all the springs a cafe racer kit and fairing plus open cans the whole package still nearly a grand cheaper than an R would have been.
    I know the looks are subjective but I prefer the more retro standard look. Judge yourself.
    The suspension mods you can do most yourself apart from the revalving of the rear shocks but that wasn’t mega expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  2. PeteZ

PeteZ Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Pilgrims Hatch

Well ,lovely bike indeed! When I looked into it, new Thruxton Ohlins from Triumph were around 900£, (similar piggyback adjustable shocks around 600-700£) the tank is over 600£, BC seat about 300£, progressive springs about 200£ ish I think. Total around 2k if done by Triumph. I have no chance of doing this myself, no decent garage to do it in either. Street scrambler was new for 9K, plus the 2k plus the workshop time, easily another 300£, total 11.5k ish plus stuff I have already bought and had fitted- tail tidy, couple of badges, intake covers in black, tiger LED indicators, peak mirror, leavers, slim pop up tank cap..If I did the suspension, it would push the bike a bit too far financially and it would still not be the size I need it to be and could end up being ruined. May as well let her go and fork out 12.3k for the XE Scrambler, which is on completely another level. (no disrespect to the street scrambler, I absolutely love it!) Yes the big boy will need aftermarket pipes and different indicators, but that is about it. I think I'm ready.. ;)

3. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I paid under £600 for the fork internals and springs, £200 for second hand rear shocks and a further £200 for the springs and revalve and service
    1k for fully adjustable Ohlins front and rear
    £300 for open V&H cans second hand
    £330 ford a new second hand fairing including paint
    £10400 brand new Thruxton standard with cafe racer kit
    Still quids in to price of a new R with no extras

• Like Like x 1
  4. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Not wrong, I can see where you’re coming from.
    But that’s the great thing about bikes, whatever you choose isn’t a wrong answer. Just a different one!