Featured Withdrawn

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Bad Billy, Oct 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    #1 Bad Billy, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Withdrawn

• Like Like x 16
  2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    The budget differentials and machine capabilites are similarly enormous, too!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    "... smoke A Rothmans .... ?? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Very true but countered by the lack of charisma and charm of the riders.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Yeah I can't imagine any of the new racers shagging a grid girl just before the start!
    There was a good feature on Top Gear on Sunday about Stirling Moss. Won the Mille Miglie(?) at nearly 100 mph average then drove through the night to Germany to take a young lady 'to dinner' :grinning:.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Not trying to contradict thi, Billy, but I thought it was Gauloises that he smoked It was all o'er t'papers when he had a hole drilled int chin bar of his helmet, so he could have a fag ont grid!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    That blokes overalls are dirty!
    Might even be oil??

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Sheene and Hunt brought motor racing to the attention of the masses, no doubt about that! As far as the kit goes, you can't stop the march of progress. Modern road tyres are leagues ahead of the crap the likes of Sheene and Roberts raced on. In the 500 2 smoke era the bikes, especially the last ones, were very difficult to master, tamed slightly with the big bang engines but still a real handfull. It's true the new GP bikes are more powerful and faster but they come with numerous rider aids which do just that. I seem to remember Lewis Hamilton driving Nigel Mansell's Williams a few years back and struggling with it. Three pedals and a proper gearbox, that's it. They should bring that format back IMO. Keep the safety features sure but bin all the push button crap on the steering wheel and lets see who can really drive.

• Agree Agree x 9
  9. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Never done competative Motocross but watched a couple of meeting years ago. Kurt Nichol, Dave, Thorpe, Rob Herring etc. Taming the 500's for a full race those guys were athletes for sure!

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    Growing up with James Hunt and Barry Sheene as our heroes we had real role-models - bleedin' fast, hard partying, and with a dolly bird or two in the motor home!

DS

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    The road race academies school youngsters how to act/speak in front of tv cameras and languages etc the schooling isn’t solely riding a bike fast.
    Sponsors nowadays expect a certain standard.

Playboys we had them in the 60’s with the likes of Hailwood,Ivy,Read to name just a few.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    No mate certainly not the 60’s,no money then and still haven’t got any:eek:: unamused:

Are you known as a racing playboy:cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    From Sheene's wikipedia entry... "He even had a hole drilled through the chin-bar on his full-face helmet allowing him to smoke right up to the start of a race."

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Nice trip down memory lane @Bad Billy. I was a big Mick Doohan fan :heart_eyes:with him being an Aussie (won five consecutive 500 cc World Championships) and then followed Kiwis Dr Rodger Freeth, Aaron Slight, and Simon Crafar who did well in Malaysian racing before progressing.:party::party:
    Freeth moved to co-driving Rally cars and being a tall man surprised many with his V8 powered Toyota Starlet (he sat in the back seat):joy:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Talkin of Aussies, remember Wayne Gardner, then Graeme Crosby comin over her racing straight barred Moriwaki's. Both were awesome to watch, and both progressed to 500 GP rides. And don't forget the "Angry Ant", Paul Lewis!! He could slide a bike!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Wayne was pretty special :imp:( I had forgotten about him) and Graeme was a Kiwi (my mates older brother) who excelled in many classes. He now restores Z1 for work/pleasure
    https://www.graemecrosby.co.nz/

• Like Like x 3
  17. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Billy, that's just reminded me of an image I'll never forget. I was spectating at Coppice, and Doohan was going round there sideways, with full opposite lock, every lap. You could see t'tyre smoking, it was awesome!!

• Like Like x 4
  18. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Two more of our antipodean cousins, who could ride a bike, were Daryl Beattie and Gary McCoy. Our lass had a Beattie rep Shoei. There's bin loads of good aussie/Kiwi riders over t'years.

• Like Like x 3
  19. owen thomas

owen thomas Member

Aug 10, 2020
    s.e. Michigan
    Jarno Saarinen, great racer left us early, used to have his girlfriend do the pit signals.

View attachment 111578

• Like Like x 1
  20. owen thomas

owen thomas Member

Aug 10, 2020
    s.e. Michigan
    #20 owen thomas, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Jarno Saarinen, great racer left us early, used to have his girlfriend do the pit signals. Actually, think it was his wife

fullsizeoutput_53f.jpeg

image.png

• Like Like x 7