Wire Too Short For Ignition Relocation Bracket

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by VTDave, Dec 12, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. VTDave

VTDave New Member

Oct 5, 2021
    Shelburne, VT
    Would like to use the Motone relocation bracket on my T100, but even with the wire pushed out of the headlight all the way to the connector, it's too tight. I'm thinking of taking the entire connector out of the headlight, which would give me enough length. The problem then is that it would leave the connector exposed. Would wrapping the connector in self-amalgamating tape take care of that? I have heard about it, but haven't any experience with how well it works. Thoughts? Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Just read the blurb online uses etc ...! It would seem if the statements are even only half true , the seal if achieved , would last the life span of your motorcycle... Regular check up say annually at least and I would expect good longevity in performance of the tapes, it's designed for use in industrial engineering on high/low voltage switching and cabling joints.
    Should be a good and effective and cheap solution to your problem !!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    #3 curly, Dec 12, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    I had the same problem when I relocated the voltage regulator / rectifier on my 2015 Bonneville.
    I removed the wiring from the interior of the headlight, giving an only just adequate length of wiring to allow full lock to lock applications, then I cut a length good quality inner tube from a pedal bike, I can't just remember the tube size now, carefully eased it over the block connector which I then plugged back together.
    I had a good overlap of inner tube approx 1" either side of the connector which I carefully folded around the wiring cable before attaching a fine cable tie to each side.
    I then bound each side with ordinary black insulating tape, job done.
    This was about 4 years ago now, never had to touch it since.
    Just my way of dealing with the problem, feel free to copy or ignore, but it worked for me!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. VTDave

VTDave New Member

Oct 5, 2021
    Shelburne, VT
    Thanks, guys. Moved the connector outside the headlamp housing, taped it up good with waterproof tape, and I'm good to go!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    While relocating the Rec/regulator on my Sprint St, I had to solder extensions.