Winter's Coming

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Hogster, Nov 2, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    Well it must be here soon even though we have been blessed with some good dry and relatively warm days so far. Now I am back into biking I don't like the idea of stopping for the winter but the Bonnie is definitely staying home as soon as the first gritters go out. Really considering getting a hack for work, when I say hack some sort of tourer, a Tiger would fit the bill!! A little too much money so have found a pannier rigged Yamaha Diversion for £1200, 1993 with £9k on the clock. Not a very exciting bike but wet and slippery roads need something sedate. i used to ride my GSXR750 to work in all weathers 20 years ago, so in my head I have this reminisant picture without the frozen feet and hands, skidding on ice etc. may be I need a reality check?

• Like Like x 2
  2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #2 MickEng, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Fortunately these days I can choose between car or bike but I am determined to use the Bonnie as much as is safely possible over the winter months.
    Reasons:
    1) I love riding it and it gives me a real buzz on the 20 mile trip to work.
    2) Reduces my travel time home from work by 50%
    3) Winter gear massively improved since I last had a bike.
    4) Taxed, tested and insured for the year and I hate wasting brass!

• Like Like x 4
  3. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    First frost today down south :( but it is dry which is ok by me, not too keen on the wetter days to be honest. Not a lover of the gritters and living right by the sea the roads get awfully dirty don`t you know, lol. I agree with you Mick the kit available today is really very good, unlike the days of yore with my waxed Belstaff no protection jacket and a pair of levis :) to keep me warm and dry, aye but we were men in them days (or as my dear old Dad would say "stupid") he meant well. I am with you Mick, I love riding my Bonnie even just popping to the shops so I will ride as long as it is safe to do so, and count the days away until Spring is again with us. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Porridge and green tea for myself, Scottoiler protection spray for the bike.
    There was a 5th reason:
    I've got 30 years of not riding a bike to catch up with. lol

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I've never been a fair weather biker but the modern kit makes it so much easier.

I was out on Tuesday in in the Peak District in glorious sun. This picture was taken from Crich looking back towards home. Behind me is the Crich memorial and my house is on the skyline somewhere near the middle. I can see the memorial from my sitting room window on the horizon when the weather is right in the winter, you can't see it in the summer as it's too hazy.

It looks like the weather is going to be good today to so I'll be out there somewhere enjoying the bike and the scenery.

2016-10-31 14.51.14.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  6. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    At the age of 60 i have just fitted my first ever set of heated grips to my ST3, also it was cheaper than a set of winter gloves :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    Something I must get round to doing Darkman :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Heated grips (or better still, heated gear), and plenty of regular Scottoiler 365 keeps me on the road for (most of) the winter.

10. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    I commuted my usual 40 miles into London yesterday for work, starting off at 5:30am and it was just 3 degrees. Not sure how much longer I can continue using my Tiger to commute into work :(. As others have said, we had the first frost today, and as soon as the gritters come out (which must be soon)... my bike will remain in the garage.

11. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Mine comes off the road December 1st to March 1st, (sorn) cant see much point in risking the bike/me in greasy, wet, icy conditions, and the build quality is not that great on the earlier Bonnies to cope with the salt.
    Got a couple more riding days before the end of the month, but already looking forward to 1st March.

• Like Like x 2
  12. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Having stubbornly gone all this time without doing it i am very pleased with the outcome and my hands are now nice n warm, very easy job to do and if you don't feel up to it buy some oxford heated grips that come with the adjustable settings for around £50.00 and pop down to Bournemouth and i will fit them with you :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    Thanks Darkman, I will bear you in mind if I struggle ;)

14. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    Forgot to add I am now going on to the Bonneville page to get advice as to which Oxford ones I will need that will fit a T100 wish me luck,,lol.

15. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    I think you have 1" bars on your Bonneville :eek:

16. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    recently bought a hybrid car so now its more of a dilemma to take the bike to work because it costs more in petrol.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    It's done, I will be picking up the Yamaha early on wednesday morning and riding to its first survey. I could not bring it home as I also bought another Yamaha 125 for the wife and had to ride that home. Buying two bikes in the same day is a first, I now need to get some warm all weather gear as it was freezing coming home! The old boy I bought the diversion from had 6 bikes in his garage, the most impressive was a Norton, but he had a Sunbeam, buzzing with side car other stuff I had not heard of. But what a great guy could have chatted with him for hours! image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    I am sorry Darkman I have only just seen this reply, many thanks for this information most helpful. I am still not sure what to do at the moment regarding grips/guards as mentioned by pasher in my other thread :(, but I will be looking next week as this weekend is written off with bonfire night and a family get together tomorrow. Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  19. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Same here with kids and fireworks lol