Winter Survival

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by mikesouthby, Nov 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mikesouthby

mikesouthby Member

May 16, 2017
    Swindon, WILTS
    So winter is fast upon us..

I have just tucked the Speed away after riding home in -1 degrees, and after passing not one but two bastard gritters. After riding all of my previous bikes throughout winter, the plan was to put the Speed away for winter as I don't want to see the usual furring and winter tarnish appear but I guess it's not going to plan..

My question, for those who owned the new Speed and indeed rode last year over winter is how do they fair up? a lot of the nuts and bolts are machined so how does this stack up to the usual cheese? I realise, of course, that no matter the quality if you ride in salty conditions it will take it toll but my previous machine (BMW S1000R) seemed to show some heavy signs of use after just one winter, even though it was regularly cleaned and ACF50 was used on exposed metals; I just don't want the Speed to go the same way.

Thoughts? Tips?

2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Try Scottoiler FS365

• Like Like x 1
  3. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I've used ACF50 on our three bikes, all since new. Two are used in all weathers (gritted roads) and they're immaculate. I operate a weekly cleaning routine (which I actually enjoy) to keep them in good condition and honestly...they're showroom clean.

Spraying it all over results in a residue that attracts the dirt - with the approach that you wipe it off after the winter. What's worked for me, is applying ACF50 to a microfibre cloth, before working it over the bike. I use a paintbrush to work it into difficult areas - and very little product is needed to flow into all the nooks and crannies by itself. The cloth becomes damp and impregnated with the ACF50 and I keep it in a sealed plastic food bag, ready for next use.

I use it as an LSP (that's a Last Step Product in detailing speak) and it brings up the engine parts, exhaust, frame and plastics like nothing else I've tried. I avoid the paintwork, together with grips, levers, pegs, brakes, tyres etc for obvious reasons.

For anything gloss (paint, mirrors, headlamp lenses and especially gloss carbon), Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Spray Gloss Sealant is superb (it fills/hides light swirl marks too).

For matt paintwork, Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer is the answer. I use this on our phantom matt black Daytona and on my grey Triple and it removes all manner of finger, drying and insect marks, and leaves a protective coating that beads and repels water. It even brings up the rubber tank protector and hides the scuffs.

OK...maybe it's regular cleaning, time and devotion, that is really doing the trick, but the combination definitely works for me. If you're looking to follow the 'quick and literally dirty' method of just spraying ACF50 all over, then I guess there are other products that are cleaner to use.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Dedication!

• Like Like x 1
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

That's the name of the game....if you wanna be a record breaker:p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    All this is worthless without a couple of pictures...so I just popped out to the garage :yum

The Daytona has been subjected to two years of all-weather riding and has covered 10,000 miles. My Speed is mostly dry weather and less than 4,000 miles. The headers got a bit spotted, but Cillit Bang (really) followed by ACF50 reversed the rust spots.

I'll try to keep quiet about cleaning now o_O

Daytona_ACF50.jpg
    Speed_ACF50.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I'm not the only sad bastard on here then! ;)
    Though scanning those pics..... think I need to up my game a smidgen. :scream:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I'm told it's not at all sad...more like tragic :worried:

But it makes me happy...right? :heart_eyes:

9. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest