Windows 10 Help

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by crispey, Jan 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    OK I turned on my PC yesterday and am told win 7 is no longer supported. Good to have loads of notice. I opted for win 7 when I bought the computer cos I couldnt get my head around win 10 at the time. My PC is capable of 10 but what I want to know is...you look online and you can get it from £6 to £100. cheaper ones code only and others with a disc, I'd prefer a disc.
    Is it easy to do, can I keep all my software, as some was downloaded on line I don't know if I will find the upload keys.
    I have an external drive I can copy my files to
    So do you have to do a clean install or not.
    I have 2 hard drives C and E, C is where I'd install 10 to but will anything be effected on E
    Is 10 pro worth the extra money over 10
    Thanks

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The painful thing is that they used to offer the upgrade free and I have never had an issue with it on a 10yr old laptop.
    Being a tightwad I would buy a suitably guaranteed (I.e. that it is not still installed elsewhere) second hand copy with disc and key code. It should overwrite 7 on your C drive if that is where it sits without affecting data elsewhere. If you are asking these questions then Pro is a waste of money! (In my Luddite opinion). You can always upgrade if/when the std version seems inadequate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I just upgraded my computer for this very reason. I had plenty of notice about windows 7 not being supported though. I'm sorry I can't answer your questions, as I do good to stumble around with a computer. I can say that by the time windows does their regular upgrades, my computer is so out of date that it is worth it to go with a new one, loads more memory, etc. etc.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    In theory your data should be fine and only the operating system should be changed. Having said that, I never trust MS software/upgrades. Best thing to do is make sure you back up all your data before you start.

P.S.
    Make sure you sacrifice a chicken before you start and drink the blood while it's
    still warm.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    As has been said you should be fine with th w10 upgrade from W7 without impacting your data, but best practice is to back-up your data before any major changes to your system. As far as your ISV software is concerned you will need to try it to see if it will work on W10. Most of it will be fine, but unless you can review all of the technical specs to confffirm compatability the best way is to just test it. You might want to back-up you favorites to make sure they don't get lost during the changes. If you want to chat drop me a pm mate....

• Like Like x 2
  6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Windows 10 free upgrade is still available , go to Windows update and a bit of a search you should find it !
    I just downloaded the free installer , my dilemma is , there's a Bluetooth driver conflict , so the upgrade installation won't proceed. And you will have guessed it by now , the Windows solution a link to the compatible driver's has it's own issue ! My computer won't do the driver update ! It says (when I try it) the latest suitable driver is currently installed :( :( pissed of or what :sweat::cold_sweat:

• Like Like x 1
  7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I'm still using Windows 95 - will I have any issues! :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    No more than your usual ones

9. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Thanks I've just seen this and have downloaded an iso file to put to dvd later, although people have said that they get to the end of loading 10 go to start/activate it and it asks for a key.

10. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

BB063A16-B4A0-4759-9536-54CBFE24014B.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I have 10 on my desktop upgraded from 7 a while ago and TBH i dont like 10 i have removed all the Microsoft spyware that reports all you info back to them and stoped all the updates that will just make things more dificult and run it with the same look as 7 as otherwise they just try and hide everything that the user can tweak.
    But i still run 7 pro on my laptop and this is fine i have no worries about no support dont allow any updates unless i know what it does anyway...dont worry if you want to stick to 7 but if your worried then use the update tool and download and save an image of 10 for future upgrade should you choose to.
    Here is the link to download. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10#d2784474-fdb0-4e9d-9e47-5e88c0e053ec

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #13 Col_C, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    I moved from Win7 to 10 when it first became available for free and quite like it (Windows8 is shit), only real gripe is MS being more draconian forcing through updates on a regular basis can be a pain.
    Usually the 7 to 10 upgrade goes smoothly but occasionally it might complain about drivers for an old printer or similar. Goes without saying always backup your data whether upgrading or not.
    Sounds like the Home edition will be fine for your needs, things you don't get are - Remote Desktop / connection to a Domain (business network) / Bitlocker file encription.
    Not sure if you'll run into problems of it asking for a key to activate at the end of the install, I believe officially the free upgrade period finished a while ago.
    Of course the only real reasons to upgrade are increased vunerability to virus attack as time goes on, and possible lack of support if needing new hardware (eg printer etc) or software.

capt - there have been issues with Bluetooth drivers even on Win10's that have previously been running for a while, one of the routine updates cocked it up for some (although I think MS have supposedly fixed it in more recent updates). Mine briefly went AWOL but I sorted it by uninstalling in Device Manager including current drivers and then Windows just reinstalled Bluetooth ok - not sure if that helps if you're stuck halfway through an upgrade though?

14. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    The only key you ever need for a windows device....

IMG_20200116_23165.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    • Like Like x 1
  16. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Thanks everyone for your help
    One solitary question was an upgrade, so you don’t have to reinstall anything ok or do you recommend clean install where everything gets wiped and you have to reinstall everything? I would prefer the former if it’s ok

17. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    A clean install is always better, but if you are not keen, it shouldn't be a problem if you just do the upgrade.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    The upgrade shouldn't cause a problem with any of your files as it only effects Windows operating system.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    IIRC the old operating system files are moved to a renamed directory. Once Win10 is running there is an option to remove these in the drive clean-up utilities. You have the option to revert back to Win7 up to that point.

20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Try reverting any direction but backwards!

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1