Sprint GT Wind Noise

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Rtasker, Mar 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. deaks25

deaks25 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    You're probably right about the touring screen, it's shape is fairly obviously directing more wind-flow onto the riders helmet, however it does mean said wind flow isn't on your body, which I find from experience to be utterly exhausting over long distances, especially if it's cold.

That said, each to their own, nice thing about bikes is we can customise them to be exactly what we want them to be :blush:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rtasker

Rtasker Member

Feb 18, 2018
    South West
    #22 Rtasker, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    That's probably part of it, but I'm not sure it's the whole story. I tried crouching right down behind the screen expecting that the flow would then be directed above my head, but I still found it very noisy. The touring screen that my bike came with curls up towards the vertical, possibly affecting the quality of the air that it sheds as well as where it directs it. You can just make out the profile of the touring screen in the image that takes you to this Sprint section of the forum. Is this similar to your zero g screen?

I'd take photos if I could figure out how to upload them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Loading pictures is easy.... If you look at the Post Reply Button, just to right is a button named Upload A File. Just click on this and follow the links to your photos. Once you have the one you want just load it. You can display it as a thumbprint or full picture.
    Hope that helps....
    Wessa

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rtasker

Rtasker Member

Feb 18, 2018
    South West
    2019-03-13 20.15.18.jpg
    Here's a photo showing the two screens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rtasker

Rtasker Member

Feb 18, 2018
    South West
    And here's a photo, as promised, showing my bike in all is glory. Touring screen fitted.
    20190309_101330.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    Had a good run out today. Can report that the standard screen was great. Better than aftermarket tall screen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    That’s good then, problem solved.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Our Gee

Our Gee Member

Apr 3, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    Having exactly the same problem myself with my (new to me) 2015 Sprint 1050 GT/SE I am relieved to find that it's not just me that finds the standard GT/SE screen a complete disaster and that you have found a solution. Currently triumph only list one part number for the GT/SE (Fowlers) and that is T2301639 which I presume is the one that I have currently fitted and the one the bike came new with. Please can you advise the part number of the standard "low" screen that you have fitted which gives you the better result.
    Many Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rtasker

Rtasker Member

Feb 18, 2018
    South West
    I think it was only when Triumph upgraded the gt to the gt se in its final years that they gave it the noisy touring screen as standard.

The Fowlers web site does not offer the option of searching for parts for the se model, and the diagram looks like the one for the non se bike. So I would say that is the one you need.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rtasker

Rtasker Member

Feb 18, 2018
    South West
    In fact, there's one on ebay now, quoting the part number you have given, saying it is for up to 2013 models, with 5 good photos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    This is interesting, I have an MRA screen on mine which the last owner fitted and I'm sure it's causing the buffeting I experience. I have other naked bikes with smooth airflow and I've no complaints there so I know it's not a lid issue. When I sit up it quietens down considerably but, like others have said, when you duck down it doesn't necessarily get quieter. I wonder if the last owner tried to fix a problem that didn't exist. Maybe I need to replace it with the original screen??

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    This is interesting, I have an MRA screen on mine which the last owner fitted and I'm sure it's causing the buffeting I experience. I have other naked bikes with smooth airflow and I've no complaints there so I know it's not a lid issue. When I sit up it quietens down considerably but, like others have said, when you duck down it doesn't necessarily get quieter. I wonder if the last owner tried to fix a problem that didn't exist. Maybe I need to replace it with the original screen??

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rtasker

Rtasker Member

Feb 18, 2018
    South West
    I was certainly finding that crouching didn't help but raising myself up on the footpegs, head well above the screen, did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Our Gee

Our Gee Member

Apr 3, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    #34 Our Gee, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Bingo !!,
    Standard pre SE screen arrived this morning (2nd hand from ebay, thanks Rtasker). Fitted it to my 2015 Reg GT/SE and gave it a good run out this afternoon. Obviously the deflected wind is still there but now it's much lower at around upper chest height. The wind around my helmet is now free from noisy turbulence although still a lot more than I can remember when riding naked bikes back in the sixties !!.
    I suppose the real solution is that if you want a comfortable practically wind turbulence free ride a so called Sports Tourer is the wrong bike. On my previous few bikes (BMW R1200RT's and before that BMW K1200LT's we could do 500 mile days without too much trouble. There's no way I could even attempt such a journey on the Sprint. Local ride outs taking in the twisty roads around the Dales and North York Moors will be fine but long distance Motorway / Autoroute slogs such as my regular North Yorkshire to Dreux in France in a day area are out of the question.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Rode my ST all over europe without any problems? Great touring bike IMO......

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Our Gee

Our Gee Member

Apr 3, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    #36 Our Gee, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    https://www.triumphrat.net/attachme...31338-grand-touring-screen-for-the-gt-007.jpg

Please can anyone identify the screen fitted to the Blue Sprint GT/SE in the attached picture.
    Many Thanks

Answered my own question with a bit of google research !!
    The screen shown is by Eagle Screens of Australia. Model shown is the Grand Touring. They even do an "Ultra Touring" which is 100mm higher !!.
    "Watch this space !!".

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rtasker

Rtasker Member

Feb 18, 2018
    South West
    If you order one I'd be really interested to know how you get on.

I looked up the k1200LT and blimey, that's a lot of motorbike! Now I think I want one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Our Gee

Our Gee Member

Apr 3, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    I'm still getting as much info as possible on the Eagle Screen as well as trying to understand Eagle's sketches showing the dimensions (never was much good at technical drawing). There is a few online comments regarding quality. Also the thread which contains the above attached pictures is about seven years old now but I have tried to initiate contact with the original poster for any further info etc.
    Re-your comments on the K1200LT. Anyone who needs a bigger than standard screen must be built like a barn (no offence intended !!). We have had two LT's and the standard screen was fine for me (6' 2" and quite wide). And of course it's electrically adjustable as you ride along as is the RT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Our Gee

Our Gee Member

Apr 3, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    Finally made the plunge and ordered the Eagle "Ultra Touring " screen from Australia. After only a couple of "test" rides this screen is not for me. Seems like I am too tall (over 6' 2") with a tall upper body and still experience buffeting around the helmet. So then, this screen is now up for sale and offered here before posting on Ebay.
    Details. Eagle Screens (Australia), T-30 Ultra Touring Screen to fit Triumph Sprint GT. Finished with a black backing to inside surface at mounting and cockpit area (like the OEM screen. Measurement from the headstock alloy nut to the top lip of the screen is approx. 18. 1/2". Screen in obviously in as new condition. Full details including prices and shipping etc can be found on Eagle Screens Website. Total cost to me including UK vat and Post Office charges was £203.
    Bargain at £150 (collected) or plus UK only postage at cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    The whole screen thing is a pain. You may be better off with a lower screen - I know it's counter-intuitive, but I assume that any screen, unless a huge barn-door on a tourer, is going to deflect wind into some part of your body. The lower screen will direct air to your upper body, which may be preferable. I did have a tinted Powerbronze screen on my GT, tried a standard screen, and now a slightly higher "touring" screen. I think the Powerbronze was the best, followed by the standard screen - I can't really tell that the touring screen is much different from the standard one.

Perhaps someone on the forum could lend us some wind-tunnel time?

• Agree Agree x 1