Why Do You Ride?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Hobnail, Jan 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    No offence taken mate :heart:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    #62 Biker Jock, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    I also love fettling my bikes - it too gives me a sense of calm but without the buzz. Just a quiet feeling of satisfaction in which I can lose myself.

Oddly, I don't get it with my other passion, gliding. It requires focus and concentration, and there is a buzz in flying well. But maybe because I don't like heights, I don't lose a sense of fear, so don't get the same level of mental calm.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tim8061

tim8061 Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Gloucester
    I also fly and actually find it very similar in that it completely clears my mind of everything else because I know losing concentration will probably kill me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #64 Wire-Wheels, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Another benefit I get from riding. I am not all that young, but riding my motorcycles keeps my balance and motor skills up. I am too old to play most sports. I really noticed a difference last year when I had to limit my riding due to some health issues. I got back to riding kind of late in the season, but I noticed how rusty my skills had become. MUST ride more this year, as soon as the weather gets warmer. ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    @Wessa I don't like a lot of the "Modern" electronic trickery on modern bike's , I saw the new Rocket last week , and it has the following that I really hate , Tiny led instrument panel with all the gizmo's I don't want , the pillion seating and pegs are a JOKE , other than that it would be a great bike !!

My America has just the right amount of modern technology , hey it even has electric lights ! I ride because I'm in charge , even If I'm not quite doing it perfectly correctly ...

I've driven heavy vehicles with all the gizmo's and exactly the same vehicle without , and the vehicles without are much easier to drive , and ABS brakes I could easily out brake , as abs cuts out the 3% or so of maximum stopping power.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Cap City Murph

Cap City Murph Active Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Carson city nv.
    I ride becuse i am waiting for the final surprise. Especially lately no real family
    Besides my wife and i dont want to outlive her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    1.Adrenaline. 2. Splendid isolation. 3.Camaraderie. 4. Reward of using attained skills. 5. Me time. 6. Being different to the crowd. 7. Endorphins. 8. Joy of travel. 9. Those indescribable “WOW” moments that only bikes provide. 10. The joy of owning something desirable to others. A great question that I had to think about for a while . Item 2 would seem to clash with item 3 but we all know exactly what this means and how we feel about our shared passion.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi @capt I'm not sure that @dilligaf will agree with you about the R3, but I have to agree with you that it is not everybodies want in a bike. On the electronics as I said before ABS and traction control are both really helpful safety addition to any bike. You are correct that you can ride without them, but if they are available on the bike for me you just as well have them. As for the rider modes these are personal choice, you either like them or you don't. The main thing is that you enjoy what you ride. Stay lucky and safe.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    There is always the option to switch it all off, at least there was on my Street RS.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    All I would say is it would be nice that you could have a a choice when you buy. Been riding the old way so long that these things are not that much of a priority to me. ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

NUDGER is the first bike I’ve ever had with electronic riding aids :)
    I think they’re brilliant :cool:
    When I was looking for a Rocket I wouldn’t have one without ABS after having a shot of my mates bike and locking the front wheel in a corner when the weight of it took me by surprise :poop:
    Traction control has been a godsend whilst pulling a loaded trailer out of a muddy field :cool:
    The new Rocket (I’m getting one:p) is equipped with cornering stability assistance through the ABS/traction control system as well :grinning:
    This to me can only be a good thing :cool:
    I know that the rocket isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I’ve hankered after one for years now and nearly didn’t get NUDGER :eek:
    When the new ROCKET 3R was announced I simply couldn’t resist any longer and had one ordered within a week :p

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Really Dilli, you kept that fecking quiet! :p

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Well put that man. I do understand those that may not have ridden a bike with rider aids and why they don't see the benefits.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::p EB072876-0A6F-4F30-A529-3C7033AA2CAC.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    I have to say that my Speedy is the first bike I've had with ABS and I was very sceptical at first, until the day I was following a Transit who braked to a stop existing a sharp bend, had it not been for the ABS I'm pretty sure I'd have been on my arse or in the back of said van, so I'm definitely pro ABS now :p

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:):)
    Aye :)
    Still Feckin waiting though :sob:
    One in Portugal that I could’ve had :mad::mad:
    :mad::mad:GrrR3Rrrrrr:mad::mad:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I think I said after returning from Spain on the Street 765RS that on more than one occasion whilst riding like a knob, a combination of the ABS & traction control got me round a corner, one of which my mate who was behind me crashed on, it was one of those corners that looked like it was going to sweep but tightened instead :eek:
    Fortunately for my mate neither him or the bike were badly damaged by the off, but as he said afterwards my bike with ABS, slowed without drama, his locked!
    After racing an ancient Bandit last year with no modern gizmos I can confirm that riding with rider aids is a lot easier & safer than without! :p

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dilligaf
    Ever thought about a nice Rocket 111. I think it might suit you Sir. You know Sandi T is looking but now wit the ailing wrist she may not get there before you.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Tim L

Tim L Active Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Norn Iron
    My name is Tim and I'm an addict!

Also - most of the above

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1