Why Do You Ride?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Hobnail, Jan 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Elite Member

Jan 2, 2020
    Wirral England
    Motorbikes have always been around in my family. My Dad had a Triumph 500 ( don’t know which model ) and a Panther 600. I think you get into what’s around you, and what other family members get you in to when you’re young. Here’s a picture of me ( aged 18 months ) sitting on my older sisters boyfriend’s Velocette in 1958 ....... jeez that makes me feel old.

B21A56A8-47C7-4B44-BB9D-7AC7A82F44AB.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  2. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    I'd say fractions from each statement are true for me and so we'll put by Hobnail, I've ridden bikes legally since I was 16 and played with off-road stuff before that, love bikes and get so much from riding them :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Being an international sex symbol :kissing_heart: it’s just nice now and then to put my skin tight leathers on and put a crash helmet on and being able to blend in without all that unwanted female attention :p

Thats why I ride a motorbike :joy:

• Funny x 13
    • Creative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Thanks x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Drama Queen x 1
    • Face Palm x 1
    • Love You x 1
  4. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    I've always said; If I have a big accident and survive it then that's it. I'll thank my lucky stars and not push my luck any further.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Streetgirl675

Streetgirl675 ...otherwise known as Streetgirl765

Dec 19, 2019
    Cheshire
    Agree with all you say Hobnail. For me riding is my escape, my stress release, my joy, my adrenaline rush. Riding takes so much focus and concentration, nothing else enters my mind. I love the smells and the views, i love the rush of going quick and taking a risk. As for being dangerous - if it is my time to go then I want it to be when I am riding my bike, doing what I love. It is my drug :grinning:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Why do I ride ..... from a very young age I was carried around in my dads sidecar, pulled by a BSA. Growing up my dad took me to the local road racing meetings. These were on local roads with just hay bales placed on corners and spectators standing on the road side. As I got older we moved to scrambling meetings, searching around the country side to find the fields were the meetings were being held was part of the fun. So long before I could ride on the roads motorbikes and riding them was in my DNA. In my early teens with a bunch of mates I rode a moped, BSA bantam and AJS around the fields local to where I lived. So long before I could ride on the road I had started to build friendships with mates who also loved bikes. Over the years I have developed a deep association with riding. I try not to think about the danger that it brings, but go out on every ride or trip with the antisipation of feeling totally free. A ten minute ride, or a one hundred mile rideout, or a multiply day road trip I get a buzz that I find it difficult to explain to somebody who has never been on a bike. As has been said previously I have met so many friends and been to so many interesting places all as a result of riding a bike. As @stevie28 says "if you need to ask, you won't understand"

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I can understand your viewpoint, but I was 18, no way I was going to stop biking regardless of the potential costs of it to life or limb.

I chucked my kwak down the road a few years back, jeez that hurt, but still riding, though a big off might see me stop.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    I ride because I love the thrill of being on a bike. as soon as I get on my bike any issues I have just disappear and all I think about is the road ahead
    The ultimate form of escapism in my eyes

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 6
  9. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    I ride because I love the thrill of being on a bike. as soon as I get on my bike any issues I have just disappear and all I think about is the road ahead
    The ultimate form of escapism in my eyes

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I ride because it’s the nearest pure mechanical assisted thing to nature’s sensations. Living outside of the ‘box’!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    Why do I ride? The question should be why doesn’t everybody.
    There would be no traffic jams, parking would never be an issue, we would use way less fossil fuel, roads would be safer with no distracted drivers and maybe just maybe everyone would be a bit happier in life.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I ride because I can I can because I ride. The freedom of a man and his machine is unrivalled. I myself have been bashed smashed and broken. I should have given it up years ago but it's in the blood and the mind and I can't go without. Got similarities to a junkie.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, and after my day at work today, I'd like to add one more reason to my list of why I ride. Fortunately this doesn't always apply. But sometimes.....

Ride to Not Choke People.png

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Ahh yes, This is true. But it wouldn't be special anymore. My strong contrarian tendencies would search out something else.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    If you love to ride and you've not yet seen this movie, I think you'll love it! I showed it at a women's movie club I hosted to a bunch of women who don't ride and aren't (or didn't think they were) interested in motorcycles and even they loved it!

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 11.29.25 PM.png

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Umm why would you just blend in with every other body if you're an international sex symbol? Doesn't compute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Cos it’s nice to have a day off every now and then :p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Because I can't sing, I don't dance or play music. Had my fingers in machinery most of my 74 years. ;) ...J.D.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Started riding because my mother said I wasn't to.

Enjoyed it, been doing it since. Nuff said. :)

Welcome to the forum @Hobnail and thanks for a cool thread subject!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  20. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    It matters not what you ride; when you ride; where you ride or even why you ride.

It matters only that you ride.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1