Thruxton Why Are There So Many Redicuolusly Low Mileage Thruxtons For Sale At Dealers

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by neilbaker99, Feb 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. neilbaker99

neilbaker99 Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Coventry
    Ever since I decided to buy my thruxton, I’ve seen loads up for sale, with really low miles. Even as low as 26 miles!
    Is there something I’m missing???

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Also thruxtons are so special people only ride them on dry sunny days, thus very little use

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Not like the old CX500 couriers bikes!

• Like Like x 1
  4. neilbaker99

neilbaker99 Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Coventry
    Sounds feasible about pre-registering to hit sales targets, but even just summer use, why buy a bike, do a handful of miles, then sell it.
    Made me wonder if there was some inherent problem I didn’t know about

5. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Some old farts who rekindle the thought of a triumph usually shit themselves on today’s bikes!!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. its me

its me Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2015
    leeds
    I trade mine in today 2700 miles in one year.
    Pick up my new Ducati supersport.

The Thruxton has been a great bike,but not a keeper at the moment.However I think I'll return back to one when I'm older.
    Roll on spring ..ride safe:heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    How much older?? Any Duke pics?

8. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    The rest of the time is spent polishing the engine casings, getting the rust of the spokes etc etc............................ :eek:;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    A couple of anecdotes from a few I could mention.

1) Pre-loved Thruxton R, track inspitation kit (free atm), back in the shop, bargain, as good as new with 17 miles on the clock. Customer returning to riding after some years off bikes, concerned about his dodgy knee so sat on the bike in the shop and it felt good. Didn't give any thought to his old-man's back - rode it home with resultant severe back ache. End of Thruxton dream.

2) 50-yr old back-to-biking after 30 years bought a brand new Speed Triple having sat on it and Street Triple in the shop. Rode it home and shat himself. Traded bike in, 27 miles on the clock, for a new Street Triple RS. Before letting the S3RS out of the shop dealer staff persuaded customer to go out twice for an hour on a docile demo Scrambler while one of them rode behind him. The customer was obviously rusty, but safe enough after a few riding tips. Dealer even offered to pay for a half day refresher with local bike training school before taking delivery of the S3RS. Customer declined and rode the bike 27 miles home, shat himself, traded it in for a nearly-new pre-loved Thruxton (basic), which he rode home, shat himself, and sold back at another ££s loss with an additional 27 miles on the clock. Bought himself a well pre-loved CBR or some such on Gumtree to convert in to a cafe racer like from his youth, realised he didn't have the time or skill set, so put it back on Ebay after trying to sell it to a local Triumph dealer.

3) 73-yr old, loved classic cars, always wanted a bike, so took his test, sold an orange TR3 to buy a Repsol Fireblade, which he test rode before buying. Three years later still he's riding around like a feckin' hooligan

Moral of the stories? Test ride first. Buy a Street Twin?

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. neilbaker99

neilbaker99 Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Coventry
    That’s one thing I didn’t do, take a thruxton out, before buying. I had a go on my mates brand new T120 black and liked it, and as I was used to a turbo bandit, kicking out 200bhp, I decided on the highest power twin triumph, plus I’m into the the RnR scene, so the thruxton seemed the right choice.
    Potty it’s a bit taller than the T120, as I’m a short arse. I also think I may be going back to the original bars, with the track racer kit, as it’s a bit harsh on the wrists, unless blaring along at 70+ mph

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    You can't just swap the bars over, it will need some fettling to get the originals to fit. The GM at our place has looked and says he can do it for a customer who finds the track bars too low.

12. neilbaker99

neilbaker99 Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Coventry
    #12 neilbaker99, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    I’ve seen someone post on this forum somewhere who did it, with no clearance issues. Just had to swap the master cylinder bracket over. Weather permitting, I’m booked in for my first service next Saturday, so I’ll ask them about it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Could be that's all it takes. I'll ask on Monday.

• Like Like x 1
  14. neilbaker99

neilbaker99 Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Coventry
    Surely it would just be a hose swap, not cut the original down???

15. its me

its me Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2015
    leeds
    #14 its me, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    1518877782862.jpg I test rode the Thruxton while my Daytona was having it's 1st service.Bought it as soon as I got back:p..loved the looks and detail. But I've always felt it was for Someone a little older.:confused:

DUC pic was the test ride bike. I've got 3 Ducs. The Thruxton is a great bike and I'm sure I'll return to one again.:cool: give it another 5 years or next service:yum

20170827_171351.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  16. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    An orange TR3!!!!!!
    I can't visualise such a car having been Tango'd.
    Just doesn't sound right?

• Love You Love You x 1
  17. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Cracking image. Excuse my ignorance but could you tell me about your number plate. I thought that type were illegal except for age related bikes. If not, where dya get it from. :p Cheers

18. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Thanks littleade. Great link much appreciated .

I didn't think it would be a legal plate for the road. Looks cool though. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Rest and Relaxation ?

20. neilbaker99

neilbaker99 Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Coventry
    Rock n Roll

21. tcbandituk