Why Are There So Many Alloy Wheeled 865 Bonnies For Sale??

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by andyb57, Feb 6, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Newchurch model fitted my bill perfectly

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I dream of owning a California T3. Gorgeous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    So do I but mines a California EV 1100 rat bike come bobber sort of thing :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. KenTfrmCA

KenTfrmCA New Member

Feb 17, 2022
    Los Angeles California
    Might just be the alloy wheel ones were fuel injected and the styling a bit less pure of the original.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    Two pluses in my mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    I would have preferred carbs as they offer more possibilities to play around with, but wasn't bothered with it having EFI. There was a Bonnie produced in 1979 I think with alloy wheels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Later T100 also had EFI but a 17" front wheel was the big sell for me with the SE. A bit less like ploughing a field than the 19" thing on the T100. :grinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JACo

JACo New Member

Jan 6, 2022
    Northwest Coast USA
    In 2017, I really wanted a Moto Guzzi V7. Choice was either the Special with spoke wheels or the matte painted Stones with cast wheels, but black exhaust. I don't like black exhaust, matte paint or spoke wheels, so looks won out and I got the Special. Kept telling myself I was going to get a flat with these tubed tires. So, it only took 300 miles to get a screw in the back tire out riding the back roads far away. Called for a tow truck, got home and ordered the Stone wheels. I guess I talked myself into a flat. And yes, I've ridden many bikes since the '60's without getting a flat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Yes the cast wheel model of the seventies was where the modern day version came from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Wasn't that the 'Custom' version when a lot of factories stuck longer forks, high bars and a King and Queen seat on an existing model? Anything but a custom :laughing:

11. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    There were some, however the 1st mag wheel was pretty much just a T140, a friend had one, black with gold pinstripes

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    No wasn’t referring to a US style spec but we had it around the time of the gear lever change over.

13. SteveXFR

SteveXFR Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Somerset
    I only bought mine a few weeks ago buy spent a couple months looking. I'd say it's about 50/50 spokes vs alloys. I believe the alloy wheel version was particularly popular with those with shorter riders but I'm 6"1 and it's perfectly comfortable for me.
    I just ended up with an alloy wheel model because it was the nicest bike in my budget.

14. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    The plus side is that the cast wheel version is slightly quicker to corner as wheels are more nimble. I had that version for many years and it rode well.