Why Are There So Many Alloy Wheeled 865 Bonnies For Sale??

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by andyb57, Feb 6, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    As per title....
    I'm keeping an eye on various sales sites just in case my next bike turns up, very noticeable that most of the Bonnies listed seem to be the versions with alloy wheels. Are they less desirable for some reason, or just down to aesthetics?

Oh, and Superbike Factory seem to have loads of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Maybe more of them around? I'm pleased enough with mine, nothing to complain about. I never want to own a bike with spokes again. :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Never thought about it before, but it is odd, I'd have thought there were more of the wire wheeled variants around as they have been produced for longer. No idea, very happy with mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Wire wheels are pretty and all but give me tubeless every time. I don't care how pretty they are if I'm stood at the side of the road with no way to fix a puncture

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    The spoked wheels on the Tiger Rally Pro are tubeless as they were on my spoked wheel BMW GS and my current bike a Super Tenere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Yeah, it really annoys me that triumph won't fit tubless spoked wheels to their classics. Its pretty common these days.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    It's only about the last year or two they've started using tubeless spoked wheels.
    As it happens the smaller cast wheels on the 865 bonnie also improve the handling as well over the 19" spoked version.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Old (or new) Classics just have to have spoke wheels IMO, alloys just look out of place so I'm prepared to accept tubed tyres but yes, tubeless spoke rims are relatively old Tech now so wake up Triumph!

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I agree with you Pegscraper, a Bonneville doesn't look right unless it's got spoked wheels. I know all the advantages of alloys but if you don't like the way a bike looks then you'll never be happy with it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Me too, wire wheels do look right on a classic but to own? No, I just have to look at spokes and I’m immediately put off by the thought of all that cleaning and scraped knuckles. Besides once the wheels are rolling (which is when a bike is most fun) you can’t see the difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Probably more of the cast variety as they therefore are more of a practical user with the similar look. As for superbike factory they have a hundred of everything!! I actually had a cast wheel model and worked perfectly. It’s just a bit like mars bars and snickers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Donnie-boy

Donnie-boy Member

Jan 1, 2022
    Emerald Isle NC
    I have had both spokes and cast, I will go for the cast every time.

With a nod to talent of those fast riders who prefer the performance of spokes, I do not have the talent to call you on that, and I cannot imagine pushing so hard I would ever notice.

IF you never go through bad weather, or puddles, maybe your spokes stay shiny. But, if you are a rider that goes away for more than a day or two... you will hit rain and mud etc. This makes the spokes dirty and robs them of their beauty anyway, until you spend an inordinate amount of time polishing the darn things. Ignore cleaning them too long, and it is darn hard to bring them back to shinyville.

The cast ones don't show as much of the dirt. The spray wheel cleaners can get them 3/4ths clean and they do not need to sparkle. That is all the effort I am willing to put into bike cleaning .... 20 minutes or a half hour once in awhile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    With a Bonnie (or in my case a Thruxton,) I do think spoked wheels suit these bikes (cosmetically) much more than alloys, but the spoked wheels are pigs to keep clean, so from a practicality viewpoint I think the alloys are much easier to maintain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    Spokes are damn difficult to keep up to but they do look great when they are clean. I don’t mind giving them a thorough clean and polish on a nice summers day but in winter? Well they get a quick wash to get the salt and other road muck off them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BLKWND

BLKWND Member

Nov 17, 2020
    HOUSTON
    If lucky my spokes might get a cleaning, or a wiping off anyway, at a tire change. Cleaning time is riding time.

I’d rather be riding. Nobody else cares what my bike looks like. To so many pedestrians EVERY bike is a HARLEY, or they never heard of Triumph.

I’ll be damned if I’m going to not ride for fear of getting my spokes dirty. Especially in the rain!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    Must be a different market in UK vs US. I don't see many mag wheel Bonnevilles for sale in US. I have mag wheel now, which, unfortunately, I may be selling this year. I need to shrink my "fleet".
    I have owned both and I much prefer the mag wheel version. I enjoy the feel/ride over the spokes and I like the look as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Spokes every time, FS365 on a jcloth keeps them clean and corrosion free takes 10 minutes per wheel only have to do it about every 4th wash. If you can't be arsed to clean spokes, what else can't you be arsed to do, tyre pressures, chain clean and lube..oil change?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I don't find cleaning spokes a chore. In fact I like cleaning the bike..all 3 of them. Although I wouldn't willingly go out when the weather is shit, I do occasionally get caught out. The Bonneville has done a 9 day tour and been totally plastered in crud and my bikes are taxed, tested and used all year round. Yet they look pristine. I aim to get each one on the road at least once a fortnight through winter and once a week in summer. To me, keeping them looking good is part of the ownership. It also helps them retain value and allows you spot any minor issues (such as loose bolts) before they become major issues. A bit OCD maybe but there you go.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    I had to Google "wash your bike"! :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    I spent ages trying to find a mag wheel Bonnie with an unchromed engine when I was looking! I specifically wanted that as I hate chrome and I have a Guzzi California with spoked wheels that are an absolute pain to clean!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1