Featured Whoo Hoo, Retired At Last.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by David Cooper, Sep 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    That's great. It sounds like you've taken control and are making it work for you.

We have talked about moving to our favourite part of the country. I have no real ties and would happily go tomorrow (similar beneficial difference in house prices too). My wife also says that we should do it, but I worry that she has friends and lots of interests where we are now, and would take badly leaving all that behind. Was that a concern at all for you?

2. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

I had a very long walk this morning for over 3 hours, a woman near me has a 2 year old German Shepard that never gets out for a walk, so I asked her if I could take it for a walk, the dog and I were a bit wary of each other at first but we got along just fine, It wasn't very happy when I took it home, it wanted to come with me, so if I get a rescue dog I'll still take the Shepard walking with me and my own dog.

• Like Like x 12
  3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #43 Wire-Wheels, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    The best move you will ever make, as.long as you can keep yourself occupied. "pulled the plug" on employment when I was 63 and 1 month. I had to wait a.bit longer than I had planned because by so doing I could pick up a second pension. My retirement was more a planned escape than a spur of moment impulse. I kept telling my employer to get someone in there. I was planning to go at the end of the year (2008). Tbey kept telling me "you are not going to retire. You haven't been here long enough". The last day, I walked out at noon. I know the automation system probably crashed that afternoon or the next morning. It had been doing that for a couple of years. (I had told them about that problem too). I would just bypass it and go on with the day until the system came up again. I guess they had to learn about such things the hard way after I left. I don't know. I took the money and ran. 2 pensions.2 Social Security checks (one for me and one for the wife). BYE SUCKERS. Been gone almost 11 years now. :D. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Congratulations on your retirement, David! I'm very happy for you and it sounds like you made a great decision based on your comment that, "It was the happiest day of my life". I've learned that for myself and for most of my friends, the older we get the more we realize that our most precious "commodity" is time, not money or professional prestige or status. Time. Enjoy yours!!! :grinning: And some dog out there is waiting to hit the jackpot when he/she's adopted by you. ;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
    i have just been discussing this topic with my wife, I would like to retire at 60 if possible (5yrs to go).
    I have 2 small pensions (index linked) that start at age 60 and my wife has roughly the same. she thinks we can do it easily but I would hate to leave and be skint.
    I find work just gets in the way of things I would like to be doing. ie out with the dogs or in the garage and doing as the missus say LOL

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I think the biggest fear approaching retirement is money. The way I planned finances for my retirement was based on an old calculation used to figure if you can afford buy your own home. It stated that your home should not be more than 25% of your gross income. That is kind of obsolete these days, but that is what I started with when I started planning my retirement back in the 1980's. Of course the numbers might be quite different in the UK. I don't know. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tim L

Tim L Active Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Norn Iron
    48 - medical retirement 5 years ago (too many broken bits from an accident 17 years ago). The health improved massively after I left full time work and I have been driving other peoples cars part time since, well until next week - boss finds out tomorrow!

8. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I remember clearly my first day I did not have to go to work. Woke up at 5:30am to the sounds of my neighbors vehicles starting and leaving for work. I just lay there in bed smiling. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 8
  9. MonkeyHanger

MonkeyHanger Active Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Barnstaple, Devon
    Sorry for the delay in replying. We've moved around a fair bit in our lives, we were both Overseas Rep's for many years and so moved from resort to resort as required, meaning we made friends then moved on and made more. Any true friends will still be friends no matter where you are - we've found that we're more popular than ever having moved to the North Devon coast, wonder why that is eh??
    Seriously though, life is too short to worry about stuff. Move on and make new friends, the old ones will be all over you if you move somewhere nice.

• Like Like x 3
  10. David Cooper

Subscriber

#50 David Cooper, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    I'd rather dip my bollocks in a hot chip pan for ten minutes than go back to work Jez, I've been very politely told not to go and pick the German Shepard up that I was taking for a walk, because it was pining for me when I took it back, so I'm still looking for my little pal from a rescue place,I'm trying to get a Staffie I saw, but I have to wait 5 days to find out what's happening about it.

• Like Like x 5
  11. David Cooper

Subscriber

They really love the dog, but don't have the time to take it out for walks as they both work full time,I can understand where they are coming from when it wants to go with someone else, they would be a bit upset, and I've seen the Staffie she is 13 months old and not big for her breed, I'm not building my hopes up as a few people are interested in her so I can only wait and hope I get her.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Great news Dave, congratulations on your retirement. There is no better feeling on a cold wet morning than turning over in bed and staying there, or waking up early on a summers day and getting your kit on and getting the bike out for an early morning ride. Good luck mate and enjoy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. David Cooper

Subscriber

I'd love to wake up and turn over on a wet cold morning, but as soon as I wake up my ears start to ring with my overbearing Tinnitus, so I can't lie in, and I have to get out of bed whatever time I wake up, then I'll either go for a long walk in the countryside just luckily a 100 metres from my house or put earphones on and listen to music to drown the ringing in my ears, that's still better than going to a job I've detested for the last 20 years.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham

Cheap burglar deterrent perhaps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Dave: A bit of heads up from an 11 year veteran of retirement. Take a firm hand from the start shaping your retirement. Friends and family sometimes do not understand. I got told way too many times "What are you going to do when you retire?" As if retirement was just a career change to a lesser position. If I was going to do that, I'd stay in my chosen profession. If I have to spend the time away at work, I might as well make the big bucks (at least what is the big bucks in my world). I found the transition to retirement a lot harder than I had expected. I punched a timeclock for 50 years. You have to set your own course in retirement. It has been a challenge. All being said, you could not DRAG me back to the working world even with threats of death or dismemberment ! ...J.D.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Colin Morgan

Colin Morgan Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Portishead
    We've got a Manchester terrier. He's a little bugger but we love him to bits

• Like Like x 2
  17. Colin Morgan

Colin Morgan Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Portishead
    He does a pretty good Morrissy impression when he howls

• Funny Funny x 6
  18. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #58 Wire-Wheels, Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    We had a 110 lb. Malimute that didn't bark much. He "talked to you" all the time. Best dog I ever had. Smart, loving. Not much of a dog you'd take for a walk though. If he saw a rabbit he'd forget he had you connected and take off ! That thing could pull an army tank with it's brakes locked ! No. You are not going to stop him, no matter how much of a man you are. Miss the big lug. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Jeffrey Conlon

Apr 4, 2018
    Wakefield
    go for the oldest, they dont deserve to die in a rescue centre!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3