Featured Whoo Hoo, Retired At Last.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by David Cooper, Sep 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Don't have one now mate,

• Like Like x 3
  2. David Cooper

Subscriber

#22 David Cooper, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    If any of you are thinking of retiring I can tell you this, I got to th poi
    Ok, I wont post anymore babes, or jokes, I didn't realise this forum was all about you Jez. haha only joking.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    Nicely done son! :)

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Congrats on the retirement David.

You’ll not regret it,,,,,well I haven’t, I retired back in 2001 and I’m still enjoying it :sun:

• Like Like x 2
  5. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Yes and that 8 million windfall you recently obtained certainly helped. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    That’s a thing of the distant past Nikki.

It’s all been spent and enjoyed :party:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Congrats, mate! Nicely done! I’m still a few years away but I hope to tell them to feck off with at least that kind of style!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    good on you dude! Enjoy the fruits of your years of labour.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Congrats ! :party:
    I took early retirement at 55 last year, haven't regretted it for a moment! :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  10. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Raise ya. 53, 12 years ago.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Part time could be an option for me :)
    But I intend to retire :grinning:
    Me and wor lass have had to cut our cloth plenty of times in the past so I’m sure we’ll manage again :)

• Like Like x 7
  12. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Congratulations on the retirement. I suspect you'll feel a little bit conflicted in the early days - it's like giving up any habitual activity, good or bad, you've become programmed to continue doing it and overriding the program is often difficult. But, having said how you felt about the place and the positive outlook you have, I think you'll soon settle in to a "good place" in your own head and heart and enjoy life a WHOLE lot more.

As for a small dog that will walk long distances, two words .... "BORDER COLLIE"! I'm not a dog lover - don't dislike them, as such, but I prefer cats ... always have, always will. But, marrying a dog lover meant a compromise for me and our Border Collie, Moss, is, I have to say, pretty easy to live with. For a dog. ;)

Seriously, though - she IS obedient; loyal; affectionate; amusing and perpetual motion once started. My wife knows her dogs and has had BC's for quite some time and she knew Moss was 'the one' when she first saw her as a puppy in a large litter bred from working farm dogs in North Devon.

Whatever you choose I'd echo the sentiments of all on here who wish you - and the chosen dog - every happiness, health and enjoyment together in retirement!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Raise ya. 50, 19 years ago.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Congrats on the retirement! As a recent retiree myself, you'll notice you've got twice the free time you previously had but only a fraction of the money, but who cares....it was the best decision if my life and will be for you. Enjoy to the full my friend.

• Like Like x 5
  15. GPT100

GPT100 Active Member

Sep 13, 2016
    East Durham Coast
    I took early er/vr at 59 after 37 years with the Council, best thing I ever did,
    Dave you have plenty of good walks just on your door step, I have a border Terrier who seems to be welded to me can`t go anywhere without her.
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Only 13 months to go, woo hoo! Can't wait!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    First, congratulations and I hope you enjoy a long, happy and healthy retirement.

Can I recommend that you plan and work at your retirement (I won't be offended if you tell me to foxtrot oscar at this point). I had a long bucket/to-do list when I stopped at 64 (5 years ago), and I plunged straight into it. Jobs in the house & garden, adventures, new skills, biking and gliding trips, and even qualifications (pilot's radiotelephony exam passed).

I was even asked to do a bit of well-paid consultancy work for my old company, and that filled in a day or two each week for a couple of years. But I haven't kept the bucket list full, and there have been weeks that have drifted past in a haze of vague boredom and and mundane household admin. That in turn has led to a mild depression, which feeds into a sense of lethargy, and so on in a vicious circle. I have met several others who regret plunging into retirement without a plan, and have quickly felt lost and in a bad place mentally.

I hope you find a good dog soon (pictures required of course), and just be aware of your own mental state. Find plenty to do, keep interests going, find new ones, and challenge yourself.

If you're already doing that, I apologise for sticking my oar in and have a great retirement.

• Like Like x 9
  18. MonkeyHanger

MonkeyHanger Active Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Barnstaple, Devon
    Congrats!
    I retired on 1st January this year, at 58. We sold up in Sussex and moved to North Devon, the difference in house prices has given me enough to live on - providing I don't go mad. It really is the best thing I ever did. We walk the dog on the beach most mornings, like someone said earlier we never know what day it is and don't care, my garage is set up as I have always wanted (including a fridge full of beer), I can take my time servicing and maintaining the bikes and enjoy doing what I want. I suffer from PTSD and after 6 weeks here I went cold turkey on my med's and feel better than I have in years - feckin med's just make you numb.

Enjoy it.

• Like Like x 10
  19. David Cooper

Subscriber

I feel like going back to work after reading that.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    I am really enjoying retirement and certainly wouldn't want to go back to pre-25th September 2014, and I don't want to make it sound negative. It isn't. But just be aware of how you're feeling after the euphoria of not having to put up with crap at work starts to fade. Make sure you continue to enjoy retirement.

Monday mornings are great because; a) I don't have to go to work and b) the email from this forum arrives, listing the most popular topics of the week.

• Like Like x 3