Which Gear At 30 Mph ?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Glen C, Oct 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Glen C

Glen C Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Windsor
    I appreciate this may sound a strange question but I am one of those weird people who like to stick to the speed limit.

When traveling at 30 mph, I can't decide if I should select 3rd gear or 4th gear. 3rd takes it at about 2000 rpm and 4th sounds as if the engine is labouring but between 1000 and 2000 rpm. As the T120 has a low revving engine which gear should I use to maintain a healthy engine.

I'm riding a 2016 T120

Glen

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’d stick with 3rd gear so the engine isn’t labouring too much. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Lower gear and higher revs gives you more options and control. Need a quick overtake or acceleration and it's there, need to slow slightly and engine braking is better.

Slugging any motor does it no favours and places more strain on the gearbox.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Glen C

Glen C Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Windsor
    Thanks for your advice, I agree 3rg gear is the more logical for the reasons stated :)

5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Even at only 30mph I wear all the GEAR just in case I get knocked off my bike :p

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

And the Gimp Mask?!?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Spacefrog

Spacefrog Active Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Yes i knew this problem well, but 3rd gear is the way to go as 4th takes you to 35 or more with an almost closed throttle.

8. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Surely the terrain and work being done in the engine makes a difference. 3rd at thirty going up a steep hill fully loaded might strain the engine, 5th at thirty going down a hill might be fine.

I thought these (ultra clever) automatic boxes in modern cars took a variety of inputs (work done, road speed, engine speed, air temp/pressure, fuel burn efficiency, etc, etc) into account to select the optimal gear.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I got all the gear and no idea

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. Glen C

Glen C Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Windsor
    Ok I think I may have worded my original post wrong, the original query just occurred to me while riding at 30 mph down a long flat side road.

What I was trying to say was I am surprised my T120 felt as though it was struggling at about 1500 rpm in 4th gear on a flat road, I just happened to be doing a constant 30 mph. Having ridden motorcycles since I was 16 starting with a BSA Bantam D3 I'm now 67, I certainly don't need flaming 'one to one' training - it was a comment not a cry for help :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. Michael O

Michael O Member

Jul 26, 2019
    Cardiff
    #11 Michael O, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    What's your engine's top comfortable speed in 2nd?
    I've a T100 which begs for 3rd gear over 35mph.

12. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Funny thing - today's vehicles have an idiot light to tell you when to change gear. Strange thing is - I coped for years just using my own judgement as to when to change up or down. We will soon all be fitted with lights that flash when it's time to eat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    #13 Notso, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    I generally drop to 3rd entering 30mph zone bits on my Street Twin, sits about right and sort of reminds me of the limit.

14. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Sorry, i have to comment. Your orig question and your latest question, comment, leads one to think you are a beginner.

15. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

If accelerating hard away from the lights, I’d have to say 1st is my preferred gear at thirty (and beyond)!

• Like Like x 2