Which coolant for Speed Triple?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Gimlet, Mar 11, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gimlet

Gimlet Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Which coolant do I have to use to top up my Speed Triple. I rang Fowlers where I bought the bike and asked if I had to use the Triumph-specific HD4X Hybrid OAT or whether I could use other OAT coolant from Halfords. No they said, it has to be the Triumph stuff. So rang 3X motorcycles, my local Triumph dealer and asked if they had any in stock. We don't keep it, they said we've been using Plutoline for years and never had any trouble.
    So who's right, Fowlers or 3X?

2. Conquest Racing Ltd

Conquest Racing Ltd Contact us for your Triumph Forum discount
    Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    I've always used engine ice which is designed for motocross.

3. Gimlet

Gimlet Member

Feb 11, 2014
    I've since been told that the issue is likely to be warranty. Mixing coolants is a bad idea apparently since some types won't mix and circulation problems can result (so I'm told). The bike is still under warranty and Fowlers set their bikes up with Triumph coolant which needs to be maintained to validate the warranty. So I guess I'd better carry on using it.

4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Probably best to use the Triumph recommended product whilst still under warranty. My old Ducati Multistrada was recalled because the 'blue' coolant needed to be replaced by the new 'pink' coolant as the blue could cause corrosion within the cylinder head and ultimately failure. Have to say that was just what I didn't want to hear after running the bike for 18 months with the blue stuff in!