Where Have All The Buzzards Gone ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Johnjo, Aug 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Till you round a corner hauling arse and there are 4 or 5 of them dining on road kill

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    They maybe got shoved out of the West Midlands because their high pitched kee kee is not ‘dead noisal’ like the locals?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I was driving along the M180 a couple of years ago and there was a buzzard, seagull and magpie fighting over a roadkill and the first thought I had was

that would make a great pie (not including the roadkill)

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    There was a time I thought I'd have to go to the Red Kite feeding station in Wales to see them. Then there was a release program in Oxfordshire quite a few years ago, and I still remember the first time I saw Kites soaring over a village near Henley. Had to pull over to watch them.

Now we get them soaring over our garden - and I still have to watch - they are so skilled at feeling and using the air currents (I'm a glider pilot, and well jealous). I get a great kick out of sharing a thermal with a Kite or Buzzard, though they leave quickly if you get too close.

We do also get Buzzards over the garden, and I love their call. It reminds me of a holiday in Dumfries and Galloway years ago, when there were Buzzards roosting near the cottage. It's an evocative sound.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I think most of the UKs Buzzard population live in Norfolk....i reglarly see up to 6 in the sky over the village...along with the odd Red Kite, lots of Kestrals and some other massive buggers that i am not quite sure what they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I used to regularly see up to half a dozen buzzards in my skies last year. Lovely sight. They had been increasing in numbers year on year. That's why I asked the question as they've all buggered off this year.

I'm seriously beginning to think this new 5g thingy may be involved.

7. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Nearly choked on my tea with that Gazza. :)

Send her over mate. I've never had a mother in law in my 47 years of marriage.

Nah, thinking about it they do say you never miss what you've never had. Or summat like that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Tell you what's been bothering me this year - where have all the Swallows gone? There's a few around, but not nearly as many as there should be. At the airfield, we usually have dozens and dozens flying low over the grass getting bugs and insects, but this year I've seen one. Very few in our area of the country, though on holiday in Scotland, there were more around (Dumfries and Galloway).

I don't know if it was bad weather affected their migration, or lack of insects. There is a worrying decline in insect mass. I've noticed it for at least 10 years. It used to be that I'd clean my visor at a fuel stop, but never need to do that now. Maybe half a dozen bug strikes total on the screen, headlight and visor together after a run out on the bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Sorry but I don’t buy the new religion nonsense.

The probable answer is much simpler.....
    https://www.birdlife.org/europe-and...l-killing-and-trapping-57-million-birds-egypt
    And not just the Egyptians but across the Mediterranean. Cyprus is much the same.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Apart from the global warming bit, which I don't buy either, it could well be a combination of both catching and accumulated poison.

12. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I played rose hill this morning. Once again barren skies overhead. As others have said way down on swallows and swift numbers this year as well. It's usually a beautiful sight watching them feeding zooming over the fairways. Strange year indeed. :confused:

13. colin51154

colin51154 Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Radstock
    lots of buzzards here also red kites. sparrow hawk regularly swoops in our garden and takes small birds off the bird table. the last few warm days we have had lots of butterflies in our garden. Also got a pair of Owl's that keep us awake hooting at night. we are in the country, not in a village. Somerset.

• Like Like x 4