Wheelies...

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Andy Martin, Jan 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    #21 tcbandituk, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Remember, a dab of back brake might save a wheelie gone wrong......or not!

flipper.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
  2. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    It can bite you, believe me........

IMG_2347.JPG

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I can wheelie my Bonnie quite easily. Uphill in first gear over the bump in the drive and get the front wheel down before I create my own silhouette in the back of the garage.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. NakedBiker

NakedBiker Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Surrey, UK
    I must admit that I love a power wheelie. I'm no good at pulling a proper clutch up one that I can ride out and I am ok with that. Wheelies on a road bike frighten me a bit because when they go wrong they go properly wrong. Oddly enough I am more comfortable trying to get my elbow down at 90mph than trying to wheelie properly.

Edit: I should say that the thought of losing my license is as equally terrifying as crashing my bike. And the elbow down thing is of course on a track

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Biaggi after winning the 1998 Czech GP..just past the tipping point but luckily he saved it:dizzy:

• Like Like x 8
  6. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Pulling away from a light I had an unintentional one. As the light went green there was this massive roar behind me (transpired to be another bike... o_O) - so I left in a hurry. A bit enthousiastic, as the front came up quite a bit... in an attempt to lower it I shifted to second - just stayed up... light touch on the rear break solved that, but by then I had travelled at least 200 yards. Speedy doesn't need much to get off the floor. I'd rather not, though.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    I was at Porthcawl seaside promenade where there are alway a lot of bikes parked when the weather is good.
    Finished my coffee, jumped on the Street Triple R gave it plenty of revs and noise as I pulled off as I am leaning the bike to pull from the kerbside, the front comes up as I am leaning the bike, it straightens itself up but only due to the fact it was already leaning in that direction. The front touches down and I know I was inches from the front washing out and my BIL was behind me and reckons it looked awesome like it was all planned. I know different......by the skin of my teeth once again!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I did a similar celebration wheelie over the finish line on my Honda CR500F back in my Motocross days ... difference was I didn't save mine, flipped and broke the rear mudguard and bent the silencer, so embarrassing, looked like a proper tool! lucky that I had actually crossed the line or it would have cost me the win as well!

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, if anyone had any brilliant thoughts about doing wheelies, watch the video that Dozer's Dad sent. That might quell those thoughts. I can't afford to total my bike--or the medical bills!

• Like Like x 3
  10. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Idiots!

11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I agree but DD is doing his best! :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I know, it can be very demanding choosing the right cafe for lunch mate! :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    If I were going to start trying (intentional) wheelies, I'd at least wear a long sleeved shirt with my shorts and trainers o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    Hi, my name is Dan and I’m a recovering squid.
    It all started in the 80’s when bikes got full fairings and shirts lost their sleeves. Seemed so innocent then, now it’s a shameful act that is frowned on by a society that is hell bent on sucking all the fun out of life. It’s been 4 days since my last wheelie

067163B6-9C3B-4EB9-BBBE-E72F1F3293CD.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Rayvin64

Rayvin64 New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Did an unintentional wheelie with my '06 Rocket III a few years back. Had the wife on the back and gave it a bit too much wick after making a right turn from a stop light. Luckily the beast came up less than a foot and some rear brake brought it down smoothly. That thing was a torque monster.
    My wife just stopped riding so I picked up an S3, after 48 years of standards and cruisers.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Frowned upon by snowflakes & people that simply can’t do them!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    You don't have to use the rear brake..... but then it's a bit like Russian roulette :worried:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Priceless video!!!

19. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Even at 54 I still love a cheeky little power wheelie, the wheel only has to lift a little bit when pulling away from the lights to make me smile. Doesn’t take much to make this old man happy!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    You'd be giggling like a lil girl on my MT10 then :D
    Power wheelies in 1st through 4th!

• Like Like x 1