What's This

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by topbanana0, May 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    image.jpeg image.jpeg Been doing some jobs on a mates 2014 speedy, and noticed this on the engine block.
    Looks like gasket paste to me, he's had the bike from new. Bit sloppy by the factory if it is.

2. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    It could well be from factory, looks like silicon to me. I’ve seen similar on my 15, not as bad though, also Grey. Anyway, agree with you. I’ve seen engine failures where assemblers went ape with silicone and bits fell of internally and caused oil starvation.

3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    #3 Yorkshireman, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    It's what they put on to seal the cam cover seal and it's in the right place around the half circle bits where the cams are. It's normal, if a little untidy. If there's no oil leak it's doing the job it's supposed to. If it bothers you it can be removed carefully with a sharp knife, just don't scratch the black coating.
    Edit. Now I’ve looked at it on the iPad (was on phone before) it looks a slightly different colour and as though it’s been put on by Stevie Wonder o_O I’d say the cover has been off for a valve clearance check and the silicon has smeared a bit on assembly, it is fiddly to get the cover back on.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    No the valves haven't been done, it's only been to the dealer for basic servicing.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    My Daytona was like this before I took it apart to do the head gasket.
    As Yorkshireman says, it’s just the silicone they use at the factory to seal the cam cover gasket at the ends. Just a sloppy job by the looks of it.
    I used black RTV when I put mine back together, and did a neater job :p

• Like Like x 1