What's The Point In Quick Shifters?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by speeder, Mar 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    With a little practice the downshifts will come and should be far less clunky once the dogs have been rounded off a little!!!!!!! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. neilbaker99

neilbaker99 Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Coventry
    My K1300s came with it from the factory. Never had one before, but love it now. Seemed weird not having it on my thruxton, when I went out yesterday

• Like Like x 1
  3. Allan Engel

Allan Engel Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2018
    Boulder, Colorado USA
    I'm an old(er) guy & I'm lazy. 2 of my 3 bikes have 'QS.' The third is a 1976 Guzzi; no QS. The QS on my 2018 Speed Triple RS is brilliant; the one on my 2017 BMW R1200R less so. I live in the Colorado mountains; lots of mountain passes, tight corners - ride all day using the first four gears only. Life is just so much easier with QS. I can't fault any of the latest electronic wizardry, save for self-cancelling turn indicators. I hate those things.

• Like Like x 3
  4. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I love my self cancelling turn indicators. They work great every time. I think mine are set on advanced, so one quick push and they flash 3 times for lane changes. What don’t you like about them?

5. Allan Engel

Allan Engel Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2018
    Boulder, Colorado USA
    I like the indicators on the 'RS' because I can disable the self-cancelling function. On the BMW you're stuck with them - even the dealer, with his VACOM, can't disable them. Too often I look down & realize the indicators have self-cancelled when I need them, on both bikes.

6. John Ryan

John Ryan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Scotland
    I’ve got the quick shifter on my RS not really used the bike much as yet, but I’m thinking there will be less fatigue in your hand after a full days riding if you’re not constantly having to engage the clutch.

7. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Just heard boris on the telly, looks like we may as well lay our bikes up for the duration (even those with quickshifters!)
    It's a real pisser.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Sorry to hear, that’s a real shitter for sure. But in order to slow this virus down it’s probably necessary. Probably going to happen here in British Columbia as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Best of luck if it does Steve.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Best of luck if it does Steve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Randall Munroe

Randall Munroe New Member

Mar 2, 2020
    Nelson
    I've been clutchless upshifting for years (since I raced MX and it was necessary) and I have never damaged a gearbox in the slightest. I think a person has to understand the dynamics of unloading the gears while shifting

12. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I don’t like the auto-indicators cos I keep getting a false flash. If I don’t hit the switch firmly enough, either nothing happens or the hazards come on. I’m going to keep em in manual mode from now on . . . . frickin Triumph!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Odd because mine work perfectly all the time. Now, if I could just get that goddamn quickshifter to work like the turn indicators, I’d be happy.

14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    [QUOTE="The speed triple rs shifter is especially renowned for having a s*it stock shifter and they've since been recalled for adjustments and now it works perfectly.[/QUOTE]

Oh really, I beg to differ. I’ve had two new RS’s, both with new shifters as well as the new shift linkage and it still will false neutral and slam into the next gear. :mad:.

15. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Oh really, I beg to differ. I’ve had two new RS’s, both with new shifters as well as the new shift linkage and it still will false neutral and slam into the next gear. :mad:.[/QUOTE]
    Well the way things are going here the quick shifters, self cancelling indicators and auto blippers will all pack up due to lack of use....
    Wish l still had my Honda C90 it never had any of this junk and was totally reliable for many years.
    Would be perfect for puttering around in these restrictions as it was so insignificant to be almost invisible!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Sorry SteveRS, I have seen your posts about your shifter, particularly how it still doesn't work even after recall work. But I was merely pointing out that mine works perfectly. I mean, I don't want to rub it in or anything, but it's silky smooth. If a baby's bottom could be compared to a gear change, that's how smooth it is. If my down shifts were to break the law, they would be a well known Michael Jackson song, a smooth criminal... Sorry dude...[/QUOTE]
    Lol, It’s all good. I’m glad yours is working fine. Honestly I don’t even think about it anymore, unless I’m on this forum. It’s too bad you guys can’t get out and ride, I hope this situation improves soon.

• Like Like x 2