Whats The Last Thing You Bought?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by speedrattle, Oct 25, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    #201 RevPaul, May 24, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
    I’ll be sticking with my Shoei for almost all my rides (the UK rarely gets that hot and I’m usually out on longer rides).

I got the Bullit 2nd hand, clearly hardly used and for about a third of Bell’s list price:)!

In the UK the Bullitt carbon is around the same price as the Shoei GT Air 2 and at the time that I bought my Shoei I could only justify 1 helmet, if I’d gone with the Bullitt as my any weather, any distance helmet, I’d have regretted it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Having taken a fair few soakings in less than fully waterproof kit recently, I bought some proper waterproofs; recommended by @Helmut Visor as being superb. I bought the men's version as I didn't fancy paying an extra £15 on a £24.99 purchase for being a woman. I got the XS in both the trousers and jacket and they're very roomy still over a few layers that I tried them with but the elasticated waist on the jacket and velcro straps on the trousers should stop any movement or billowing (hopefully). The quality also seems great for a total spend of £64 but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and all that jazz....

As an aside, one of the reviews mentions keeping them in the tail of their bike, I can say with confidence that they're not a Street Triple owner as I fit a disc lock in mine and not much else :laughing:.

Screenshot 2022-05-26 at 18.48.47.png

Screenshot 2022-05-26 at 18.49.04.png

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    I hope you have more luck with your Richa waterproofs than I had. I bought some Richa waterproof over trousers at the bike show in November . Didn’t need to use them until I went to the TT in June. Stood on the side of the M6 in a refuge area, pulled them on for the first time and the zip came apart in my hand.Absolutely useless. Of course had lost my receipt…..

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I hope so too - @Helmut Visor loves his......mine don't have a zip on the trousers either so at least that can't happen!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    How can they justify another 15 quid for female version? Disgraceful

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Don't get me started on male vs female sports kit / bike kit. I can rant for hours :laughing:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #207 Eldon, May 27, 2022
    Last edited: May 27, 2022
    So I bought this MT500 Army bike with a nice upgrade in the form of a Mikuni VM carb...... winner or so it would appear :blush:

However, it was a real pain to start, as in unpredictable and it hasn't been out of the garage yet (no MOT). One day 1st kick from cold another, well let's just say with a full sweat on I locked the door and found something else to do.
    I decided to remove, strip and thoroughly check the carb for jetting details as WHEN it did start and run for a while it was an even bigger pain trying to restart from warm. The plug confirmed my thoughts of over rich and this combination of carb and bike has a reputation for being thirsty, 50 mpg on a good day :confounded: eh and only 30 hp :confused:.

So carb shoe horned out and stripped, looks big doesn't it?

20220525_180842.jpg

Umm too big, here's a couple of numbers, should be 32mm venturi this one is 38mm, should be around a 175 main jet, this one is 250. Etc etc you get the picture, previous owner found a bargain :rolleyes:
    WTF!

Ideal for a snowmobile but not a 500 single :tired_face:

So dilemma, bite the bullet and spend a fair bit on a bike I haven't ridden yet or mess about with secondhand shite then buying jets etc.....

The answer and yes at nearly £400 it was a hard pill to swallow but it starts first go now...... well most the time!

20220525_175920.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  8. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    They are like the old XT 500 with a reputation for hot starting issues, persevere, it's partly technique, acquired experience and partly witchcraft after a few months you'll be able to start it hot or cold with either leg, enjoy, smashing bikes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Had the same with an SR500. Left it at work as it wouldn't go many times in first few weeks of ownership :mad:. One time I punched the mirror and had to get stitches in my knuckle as it smashed :confounded:
    Once the knack came I loved that bike!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Yeah, there's no bump starting unless it's 4th gear off a cliff..

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Something Mr. Sandi bought for the both of us--a Sena 50R Low Profile Dual communication system. He went to Cycle Gear for something else and came home with this surprise! :heart_eyes: I've been using a Sena 20S Evo and will continue to use that on other helmets. But for our trips, this dual system connects us seamlessly! Now I just need to always remember to mute when he and I are not actively talking lest I say some things out loud that should be left as silent thoughts. :eek:;):joy:

IMG_8990.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 6
  12. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    This could be dangerous :laughing:. I sometimes sing too a little bit :laughing:.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Me singing would be an improvement over why Mr. Sandi turns his unit completely off sometimes, @Mrs Visor. ;):rolleyes::joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Your story reminded me of a similar "frustration leading to injury" the other week. My youngest plays football in an under 14 team but had no goalie. One lad steps in and after a silly goal punches the goalpost breaking his wrist :confused:

Think he might have learnt something that day : unamused:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    A ferry pass for my trip to Norway in 3 weeks.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Sounds good, tell us more?

17. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Wife and self are taking the Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry on 21st June. Then an overnight in Harlingen and new overnight ferry from Eemshaven to Kristiansand, saving approx 900 road miles through Germany and Denmark. We have just over a fortnight in Norway, with 3 hotels booked and just winging it on a daily basis, using cabins on campsites. A very easy itinerary, only covering the lower 3rd of the country. Most Northerly point will be Alesund and we plan to visit the Telemark power station featured in the film "The Heroes of Telemark" We expect to ride around 2,800 miles door to door.

• Like Like x 8
  18. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Sounds great, I wouldn't mind visiting the Telemark power station myself.
    Would that be the "heavy water" story wouldn't it?

19. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Yes, that's it. The barrels were smuggled out to France so Gerry couldn't get them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire

Aahhh, the joys of carb tinkering! The last bike I had with a carb was my XR650R in 2010 and spent many a hour faffing around with idle jets, air screws, needle positions, float heights etc., trying to make it easier to start. In fairness, if you caught it right first kick it would fire but flood it or attempt to start it after it had been on it's side and it was a B**CH! :mad:
    ECU controlled EFI is way better, until it goes t*ts up of course!

• Agree Agree x 1