What you drinking tonight?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Jan 14, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    #1461 Adie P, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    I read this thread avidly and am invariably interested and impressed by the contents and reviews.

I'm also pretty well bemused.

Although not exactly "teetotal" I'm not far off. I did have a very small glass of 'The Lakes Salted Caramel Vodka Liqueur' last night but even that was enough to give me a slight headache this morning and the momentary pleasure of drinking it was, I'm sure, more down to the the horrendously" sweet tooth" I have rather than the alcoholic kick it delivered! Alcohol generally - and beer (etc.) in particular - tends to give me migrainous headaches so I do avoid it and I probably don't drink in a year what many might drink in an evening.

Doesn't stop me wishing you all a very hearty "CHEERS" for Christmas and the New Year - whatever you're drinking, whoever you're with and wherever you are! Enjoy the season! Be safe. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Cheers Cheers x 2
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Currently consuming a Christmas gift -

"Bière Artisanale brassée pour UIS - 62530"

8% !!!!!!!!!! Lively lil sucker this one.

• Like Like x 4
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Ditto !!!!!!!

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Wor lass took me out for lunch :grinning:
    I drove there :)
    She drove back :)
    Three pints of Hobbgoblin IPA :yum
    Cheese burger and chips :yum
    Back home watching footy :)
    Cracked the Jameson’s :yum
    Eating chocolate :yum
    More footy :)
    More Jameson’s :yum
    Early night :p:zzz:

• Like Like x 9
  5. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Good night then, Dilli...
    ...I am heading for the Pub. The owner is also the brewer! Perfect setup :blush:
    And I am always introduced to strangers as the designated barfly :D
    The look in their eyes makes me doubtful about my pride in this ‘title’...

Cheers ...

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Been on standby over Christmas :(:( handing over tomorrow and meeting a mate who's back from Brunei so will be making up for all the lost drinking with an all day session (missus at work ;);)), please refer to my previous post for approximate alcoholic intake :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #1467 Sandi T, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    DD, you must either be a "supertaster" or have a lot of Irish whiskey drinkin' practice under your belt. :) Or perhaps both?! :p

I did a little poking around earlier today and learned that there is a lot of research happening in area consumer marketing and taste testing. ($$$$????) It seems there are two primary types of taste tests, both of which are important individually but also when looked at together. The fact that you could correctly identify all seven of the choices in your taste test earlier today speaks to the "perceptual taste test". You were able to perceive differences among all seven of the whiskeys. In fact you could identify each one correctly and not simply tell them apart or that they were different from one another.

Meanwhile, indicating your preferences for each of the tasted whiskeys is the "preferential taste test". In the research, this usually entails rank ordering the products being tested from most preferred to least preferred. As you said, your opinion of them isn't necessarily right. But here's the kicker--your opinion may not be so "pure".

The fact that you could identify each of the whiskeys in the taste test actually leads to confounding variables. Since you have preconceived ideas about the whiskeys (as we all would and do) such as price, value opinions of others, etc., that knowledge influences your preferences even if subtly or subconsciously. In some studies done in this area, multiple brands are included in consumer taste tests but those testing don't know which ones which is how the researchers try to control for the influence of prior knowledge.

Here's an interesting read for anyone with the time or inclination:

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...eferences-on-brand-positioning-strategies.pdf

But......contrary to your comment that your own blind taste test might not prove anything, I think it definitively proves that you are quite the whiskey connoisseur and, as I said, may be a supertaster! :) It also proves that you have quite the selection of Irish Whiskeys in your cabinet at the moment. :joy:

On my end and in order to stay out of the whiskey fray for the time being, I'm drinking Partida Anjeo tequila this evening. :yum Cheers!

And finally, what the heck does this any of this have to do with Triumph motorcycles!?!? :p:cool::heart:

P.S. Always happy to give you a scientific reason to break open the booze, DD. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    IMG_7066.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  9. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Consumer taste testing results, thrown in with experienced taste testers, can only provide garbage results if you think about it. One side has a clue, the typical consumer no clue.

10. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Ok rant time, 7 days, no beer is nearly making me weak. Why no beer, because the local distributor has decided to stop selling my brand of beer that I have been drinking 30+ years now. Don't know how far I will have to travel to get it.
    Change does not always = progress as the newer idiots believe.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Oz228

Oz228 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Inverness
    Agree that it tastes different. My local changed to that charge can thing and I agreed with the barman that it tastes the same as I thought it did. Went onto another bar that had it on draught and the difference was night and day, I won't go back to that canned version again

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    • Funny Funny x 5
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Ha! No, Billy. :joy: Fortunately I didn't get any farther than 1 Tequila, 2 Tequila. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Far too sensible Sandi, go sit on the naughty step & take the bottle with you! :eek:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I think the short & simple of all this is just this. Whether the beer or whiskey or whatever drink you like is highly rated, whether anyone else likes it, or whatever the price, if you enjoy it and are good with the price, bottoms up! :yum:):kissing_heart:

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    #1476 Winglad, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Man Jez, that‘s an investment! May I ask: for how long does this keep you happy? More than 4 weeks?
    See: One of the reasons, I followed Sandi’s and your expedition into Tasteland was the fact, that most of the time, I do only have one or two bottles open in parallel. (That was after the devastating experience, that Whisky DOES deteriorate after it started talking to too much O2, say after the bottle is half full for more than 6 months...)
    Those 2 open bottles last me about 3 to 6 months. This is also due to the fact, that I consume alkohol mostly at the Pub/Restaurant...

So, I unfortunately am seldom in the position to really compare stuff side by side.
    If you put a Laphroaig Triple Wood, a Caol Ila, a Tallisker Storm and a Glen Allachie in front of me for a blind tasting, I am sure, I’d be pretty lost; even though, these are some of my all time favorites!

Fortunately, this does not keep me from enjoying them with every sip like it being my last... :blush:

EDIT: I’d pick out the Caol Ila any time though :p

• Like Like x 4
  17. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    If any of you are rum drinkers, I can recommend Dead Mans Fingers, its gorgeous :yum

IMG_20191227_194710818.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth

HONEY, I SHRUNK THE BIKES... :scream:

• Funny Funny x 6
  19. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

It’s Friday :grinning:
    I’m off down the pub :yum

• Like Like x 9
  20. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the recommendation, MadMrB. Love those model motorcycles in the photo too!

• Like Like x 1