What you drinking tonight?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Jan 14, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T.

Sandi T. It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #2121 Sandi T., Jan 11, 2020 at 4:42 AM
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    @andypandy, here's a trick I learned years ago. Leave out some tonic water until it goes flat. Freeze it in an ice cube tray. Use these tonic cubes in your gin and tonic in place of regular ice cubes. Sounds simple but makes quite a difference in terms of a delicious gin and tonic experience! :yum:) BTW, my favorite gin for a G & T is Plymouth.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Sandi T.

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Gotta love that label! :kissing::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baldrick174

Baldrick174 Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Bodmin, Cornwall
    Whilst watching John Wick 3

20200110_201538.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. Hobnail

Hobnail Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    #2124 Hobnail, Jan 11, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020 at 3:31 AM
    A lovely aged ale from my son-in-law. Having a sample, as I watch the snow pile up over the ice we had last night. Oye... Miles Davis on the box, so all is well.

IMG_6254.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  5. Sandi T.

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Lovely! There's a Trader Joe's a half a mile down the path from us so I'll have to look for that spiced ale, Hobnail. And I have Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" CD in the cupboard--your post reminded me to take it out and give it a listen again. :) Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DCS222

DCS222 Crème de la Crème

May 22, 2017
    Cumbria
    Just been necking a couple of dry martinis (yeah really, I’m hoovering up the New Years party supplies), shaken not stirred... whilst watching the Witcher... well it seems ok this side of some James Bond cocktails... but suspect it starts to feel a bit Shiite if you think too hard about it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Sandi T.

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    W
    Well, @DCS222, with what did you make those dry martinis? I learned early on that martinis are only as good as what they are composed of--each element is key since there are no "throwaway" mixers involved. My two go to gin's for martinis (for me, gin,, never vodka) are Hendrick's and The Botanist. For my "whisper" of vermouth I prefer Vya. And depending on my mood, I either do a lemon twist or blue cheese stuffed olives. My preferred proportion is 3 oz. gin to about 1/4-1/2 oz. of vermouth. Shaken not stirred (actually shaken to within an ounce of it's little martini life). And strained into a cocktail glass that has come straight out of the freezer.

So, tell me about the Witcher. We'll be due for a new TV series shortly after we finish the last three episodes of Goliath.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Sorry just having a beer as always. Snow on the ground. Not much to see here. Just waiting it out.

• Like Like x 4
  9. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Senior Member
    Subscriber

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    D0455338-466F-4ED4-9B78-E89599B34CE0.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 8
  10. DCS222

DCS222 Crème de la Crème

May 22, 2017
    Cumbria
    my good lady wife like Sapphire (I like Lakes gin or Caorunn)... tanqueray 10 is pretty good too. The vermouth is just what we can get hold of, not a huge market round here for it. The precise merriments, I mean measurements, are one dirty git feck off sized glug of gin to one la’al splash of vermouth... technique as you described, but I only had lime peel to garnish.

the Witcher seem ok at the moment, just watched the first episode and will watch again... I imagine it’s Netflix’s answer to GOT which I’ve never watched

D1DB64ED-5D8C-447E-99EA-35A52A39FF24.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  11. half ton

half ton Ave yer gotta light Buh.
    Subscriber

I sat down and binge watched the whole series of the Witcher with 2 of my sons over 2 days...gets better and better,Only trouble is I have got to wait until 2021 for the next series:eyes:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sandi T.

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yep, January in the Midwest, phred. I remember that only too well. :( Hang in there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sandi T.

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That is definitely the downside to these Netflix and Prime TV series. One can binge watch a whole season but then ya have to wait (and wait and wait) for a new season to arrive. Sigh....:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DCS222

DCS222 Crème de la Crème

May 22, 2017
    Cumbria
    @Sandi T.

just out of interest, I tried the vermouth on its own, chilled, and it’s very doable, possesses Chardonnay impressions whilst maintaining the punch of a fortified wine... nowhere near as heavy so thought it would be.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sandi T.

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Good on you for trying it on it's own, @DCS222! That's right up my scientifically-minded notion of holding your variables constant. And if the vermouth is good enough to drink alone, it's most certainly likely good enough to use in your cocktail. It does make a difference what vermouth goes into a martini--I've had a terrific Hendrick's martini with good vermouth--and quite the opposite. Hendrick's martini with a bad--or a bad proportion of--vermouth which changed the whole thing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sandi T.

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    In honor of @DCS222's experimentation, tonight I had a Hendrick's Orbium martini with Vya vermouth. The proportions I used were 2 3/4 oz. gin to 1/4 oz. vermouth. Technically it was a Gibson since I made it with cocktail onions. Yum! :yum I told Mr. Sandi that this is my current favorite version of a martini. Those are rosemary and sea salt Marcona olives next to my cocktail.

IMG_7283.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 6.51.55 PM.png

• Like Like x 3
  17. Sandi T.

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Ok, this technically isn't what I'm drinking tonight like the thread title. It's what I drank this past Saturday night. I had a Botanist martini with dinner (not pictured) and this lovely combo for dessert. Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey with tiramisu with roasted pears. An outstanding pairing! And the martini paired well with my short ribs entree.

IMG_7281.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Kenbro

Kenbro Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Lickin’ me lips here, Sandi T;
    But, hope you’ve already had a few draughts out of the whiskey glass...or it’s a very poor showing. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Sandi T.

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I had, Ken. ;) Thanks for your concern. :joy:

• Like Like x 1