Featured What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by flapinflares, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    George Thorogood and the Destroyers one night only. Things is, no one except Dougie, has heard of em? Go figure.

IMG_20220723_174155772.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Enjoy James,they don't know what they're missing!

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Nevermind the price of petrol. I'm not going to tell you how much this was... IMG_20220723_175749984.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    What? They are playing UK dates? How come I missed that? :worried:
    Been a fan for years!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Stumbled on it myself. Looking for a local performance of Waiting for Godot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. surlyone2

surlyone2 Active Member

Mar 29, 2022
    New Zealand
    Definitely gonna know this time .. got so prepared last time I passed out and my filthy mates ??? waited until the end to wake me (pricks thought it funny as hell)o_O:dizzy::sob::sob::sob::sob: ... : unamused:!!!! Son rang to say he's got all tickets for October, so ... not to forget the matchsticks !

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #18287 Sprinter, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    IMG_20220724_114225637.jpg

Wow, great great gig.

Heading home.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Hope you dodge the showers :)

9. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    I enjoyed a 3-hour ride today in moderate summer temperatures (max.27 degrees Celsius). On small country roads I rode with my BONNIE through two provinces.
    At the end I invited me to friends for a coffee, which I will enjoy soon.
    After that, my BONNIE must hold out a few days in the garage, because I will be on the road with my Honda first across Austria and then to Bosnia and Herzegovina.

In the background is the castle of Forchtenstein

20220724_130241_copy_900x2000_1.jpg

20220724_130304_copy_1042x1565.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  10. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    That looks beautiful @Markus - wishing you a safe and enjoyable journey on your Honda.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Mrs Visor: Thank you! The next days will be very intensive and interesting. I will come up with a report and some photos until next week.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    You will certainly get to experience some beautiful sights.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Tommi Saarento

Tommi Saarento Active Member

Aug 15, 2020
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Not with my Triumph but i wished not was!
    Been on Tenerife for some weeks and got tired of laying on playa so rented a bike. No Triumphs so got a BMW F800R. What a disappointment it was.
    The good parts first, double Brembo radials in front, really good. Easy on parking manoeuvres compared with my Cup, wondering if Triumph were fully aware of the cable harness problem and restricted the steering angle as a band aid to win some time? OK chassie on the serpentine roads but not better than the Cup, mine has YSS front and rear suspension though.
    Rest of the Beemer was disappointing, the engine (90hp/80Nm) felt weaker than my 900 and sounds like a scooter, gearbox was awful clunky and the clutch then, we are so spoiled with the lightweight torque assist clutch on the Triumphs. Have found new muscles on my left hand after 2 days in the twisties.
    The roads and scenery on Tenerife are just wonderful for biking. The lava desert is like from another planet, the Planet of Apes movie was actually filmed here and some of the roads were used in one of the Fast and Furious movies.
    IMG_0906.jpg IMG_0907.jpg IMG_0909.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  14. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #18294 Sprinter, Jul 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  15. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Today I had some training with Rapid Training in the South Shropshire hills area which was my birthday present from @HelmutVisor - it was fantastic and I received an awful lot more positive feedback about my riding than I was expecting which was a good confidence boost (obviously in the context of my six whole months of big bike experience!!). It goes without saying that there is very much plenty of work to do and experience to gain too until I am where I would like to be. Suffice to say it was a brilliant day’s training, I am mentally pretty tired after such intense concentration and did about 200 miles altogether (including riding to meet up with the coach) but a very good kind of tired!

• Like Like x 15
  16. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I have written an account of my day yesterday now my frazzled brain has recovered from so much thinking o_O.

Yesterday was “the big day” - my course with Rapid Training. I had spent all Sunday both nervous and excited and by the time yesterday morning rolled around I felt properly nervous about what the day would bring, probably as nervous as for my bike tests - I suppose opening yourself up to scrutiny from an expert with the possibility that they would say “you’re so terrible that motorcycling’s not for you” is not comfortable for that many people.

Anyway, I rode about 35 miles to meet my coach at a petrol station, we learned a bit about each other’s backgrounds and my expectations - he is a motorcycle - obsessed (his words!) rider of all kinds of bike in all situations, including multiple races at the Isle of Man TT. My motorcycling background didn’t take long to tell him at all, being somewhat more modest than that; the main thing that I wanted to achieve from training were him having a good look at my general style and ability, learning to make better progress and working on my technique around bends in particular. His plan was to make the whole session consist of twisty roads with us stopping frequently for debrief / discussion. There was the option of wearing an intercom, but coaching points are not provided as you go if you do, it was simply for directions, so I chose to go without as it just seemed like a distraction and just watch my mirrors for his indicators when he was behind me approaching junctions which worked fine.

We started off on a fast flowing A - road (after I stalled my bike through nerves setting off - first time since my very first ride on it :blush:) for him to get a general look at my riding and then went on mainly rural B - roads and the occasional fast but twisty A - road with every type of bend you can imagine on them, doing progressively more difficult routes. We also got a good soaking in the pouring rain as the heavens opened for some time as we approached and went through Crossgates (standard). I still have the black hands from my wet gloves as a memento of the day.

We particularly concentrated on road positioning, opening the view up ahead as far as possible by being really flowing across all of the available road, including crossing the centre line where safe to do so. We soon found out that I tend to turn in too early, tightening the bend right up for myself so I had to put in real effort to begin to change that habit. We started off slowly getting positioning right and then adding more speed going into a bend, getting on the brakes and getting back on the throttle as we exited the bend and making more progress on the straighter parts of road that joined the bends together. I could feel a real difference in my riding as the hours progressed and following the coach at times for him to demonstrate really allowed me to feel how flowing it could be.

Including my ride to meet the coach and back home again I covered just shy of 200 miles yesterday, so had a very intense day mentally with the concentration of trying to make the very most of the opportunity I had for professional coaching.

There were far more good points about my riding than I had expected (all within the context of the mileage I have done of course, compared to most people I have a very long way to go!!). The main ones were:

1. I was very smooth with the way I rode and with the controls which he said was good as when people are not they cannot get much faster without rectifying that.

2. My riding position was good and I was relaxed on the bike, he said I don’t appear to have to put much physical effort into riding which is a real positive as I am just making small inputs. He did ask me whether I felt physically tired from riding or like I need to do much with the bike - I said that it doesn’t require much effort as all which I had just always put down to the bike but it seems I must be getting something right, albeit accidentally!

3. My road positioning is good.

4. My observation is good.

5. My low speed control is good.
    It was nice to get the positive feedback that I did as it’s easy to feel a bit rubbish when you don’t really have any experience to judge how well you might be doing. He said that overall I was a good rider for the mileage that I have done.

My main learning points were:

1. I act like a bike on the narrow twisty roads because I have to - there is no other way to get round them on a motorcycle and which is why we did them but I tend to “revert to type” ie car driver sometimes on the wide main roads in terms of not taking the opportunities I could. This is something I have been very much aware of since passing my test and I was given some useful food for thought to combat this and to start to make more headway.

2. I have a tendency to turn in early around bends making things harder for myself and obviously also scrubbing off more speed by getting this incorrect. I made good headway in combatting this but it will require continued effort by me to get my timing consistently better.

3. I don’t always use every bit of road that I could do to open up my view ahead, I never really “steal bits of the other side of the road” to use his terminology. I also made good headway here too but again will need to ensure I remain consistent to get this embedded.
    So - I really enjoyed the day with the coach, he was great and has given me a good foundation to build my skills more from; I need to make sure I try to incorporate it into my riding every time I ride until it all becomes second nature and my riding becomes faster and more flowing which is my aim. I know that after a day of doing the more technically difficult stuff a bend I am always a bit wary of as I get near to home seemed like a doddle as it’s quite wide and sweeping and on a main road (it has always freaked me a bit psychologically as a friend of ours smacked himself into the black chevron road signs looking ahead at them on his bike rather than around the bend; only his pride was hurt, luckily). My plan from here is to take away all of the learning from yesterday, put it all into practice and do either one of Rapid’s trackdays when I have more experience under my belt (to advance things further without the possibility of oncoming traffic!) and / or one of their longer courses.

I have just this evening also been emailed my report written by the coach (I didn't know we received one) which is very useful to have.

• Like Like x 11
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Mrs Visor: Thanks for the detailed report! It was great to read and many narrated actions remembered me to my own training a few months ago.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Commute for me today, making sure I don't turn in too early!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    This is what 10,000 miles looks like on my 765rs air filter :eek:

20220727_210442.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 5
  20. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Another commute for me today - why not? :).

• Like Like x 3