Featured What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by flapinflares, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I guess I should have looked it up rather than remembering from memory. ;)
    According to the highway code:

You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.​

So it's 10mph not 12mph and just for cyclists. Which is the common situation on country roads I remember looking this up for some time ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    @DanielB I really enjoyed Bikesafe when I did it the other week too, especially as a new rider - I gained a lot; no BMW on mine amongst the participants, but Triumph were very well represented indeed with 11 more mature men and myself.

Today I had a short ride - I was lazy last time I rode and hadn't filled up, so went for fuel this evening. The 8 mile round trip turned into 30 just because it is a nice sunny evening, but just a nice lazy local meander.

• Like Like x 7
  3. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Those are the best rides @Mrs Visor ! Glad you enjoyed the course as well; any thoughts about a next step?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I have the ERS booked in September through Dyfed - Powys council as they are offering places for free if you ride on their roads, which I very regularly do. I am actually toying with the idea of something like IAM but unsure. I am making certain that the feedback from BikeSafe is something that I am very much taking on board, it did wonders for my confidence (I was better than I thought I was - not in an arrogant way!!) and fluidity and I will be really interested to see what the feedback from the assessed ERS rides is after a summer of riding consistently (hopefully).

• Like Like x 4
  5. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    That's great @Mrs Visor that it's inspired you to do further training. Good luck with it! I had a few RoSPA sessions a couple years back and found it really useful; but I think I'm gonna give IAM a go...potential first ride with them next weekend.

Good luck, ride safe....and keep us all updated on your journey!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aaron Brown

Aaron Brown apprentice mad reclusive genius

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    I dunno, but it's real. It's also one of the biggest reasons I ride a Tiger; I refused to buy a GS because that's what *every* other adv rider on the road is on...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Mrs Visor, what are ERS and IAM? Inquiring minds want to know. ;):)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    #17688 Mrs Visor, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
    Do they now? :p. ERS is the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) Enhanced Rider Scheme. It involves a few hours' of theory followed by two rides that assess your skills and provides training to help you improve. It's quite an involved scheme so I hope you don't mind but I have included a link as it is more comprehensive than my explanation....https://www.gov.uk/enhanced-rider-scheme. Normally there is a cost but one of the Welsh councils that our county borders is providing it for free to riders who use their roads in bid to improve road safety.

IAM is now IAMRoadsmart I think - formerly Institue of Advanced Motorists, they provide advanced training and assessment https://www.iamroadsmart.com/courses. There is a club local - ish to us I believe and you have a number of assessed rides / instruction with your observer, followed by taking a test (if you wish to). They hold skills workshops for things like slow riding technique etc. I am sure if people on here are actually members they'll be able to provide you with far more insight.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Good luck to you too - hope you enjoy your first IAM ride.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Mrs Visor! Very interesting. Thanks for including the link. I'll take a look at it. It sounds like you have lots of opportunities to do continuing education which is great. And it's even better when it's free! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    After May finally realized that it is not April, the weather has improved abruptly. Therefore, my Bonnie now accompanies me on the daily trips to the office!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    I started on the advanced training with doing the Bikesafe course. Then did IAM and then ROSPA, which I have just done my re-test the other week. The examiner now runs the local IAM group. We discussed me doing the IAM masters course, which I might do later in the year.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire

Did you find much difference between the two systems? I did a few RoSPA sessions...but think I will be giving IAM a go as well...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bolosun

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    When I did my training, the IAM was not very good and in my and my wife's opinion made me a worse rider, so that is why I did the ROSPA course. Things have moved on a lot and now my local group is run by my ROSPA examiner, there wont be much difference in either in my group.
    The only benefit of ROSPA IMHO is you have to do a re-test every 3 years. I like to think of it as my MOT to make sure I haven't picked up any bad habits.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thanks @Bolosun . Interestingly some people mentioned that "retesting every 3 years" - or in fact, not having to, was a benefit of IAM. I can see why that may be thought; however, as you say...surely it is a good thing to have yourself "checked" periodically...?

My desire to try IAM is not because I felt RoSPA was in anyway bad, or worse...just different, and as such might that suit me better?

I am sure I'll report back!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    @Bolosun I'd be interested to hear in what way IAM made you a worse rider, I have a similar experience (not with IAM). Certain type/style of training might not work for everyone IMO.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Bolosun

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    They tried to teach a system that was fixed and no matter the circumstances you followed a set routine. Whereas with ROSPA you adapt the system depending on the circumstances.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Not today but Saturday, I went to fill up the Street Cup ready for next week's planned trip. I generally use the Shell Garage at the crossroads of the A49 and A556 Chester Road (those that go to J&S accessories and the Four Ways café or attend Oulton Park Race track from the North will know it), well the shop was virtually empty of stock, I asked why and was told "we're closing for refurbishment from Monday (today), I asked "for how long" and was told "5 months":eek:!

I know lots of bikers use that garage to meet up, or fill up when visiting the above destinations; hence my post, don't plan to use it until September.

Enjoy the ride and if in central Cheshire don't play tank range roulette:sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Exactly the same, trying to ride to a "script" didn't work for me.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Are you elaborate any more, or give examples?

Do you mean that "the system of motorcycle control" played to a script (for example) or the way they taught it?