Featured What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by flapinflares, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #16921 brown mouse, Feb 23, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    So, at 3pm, postie still hadn't delivered my service parts that Wemoto shipped last week, so I lost patience and ordered the OEM parts from Fowlers as they use a reliable next day courier. Of course, 10 minutes later, post arrived. Doh!

After fitting new spark plugs I went to fit the HiFlo air filters only to discover the sealing foam seems to be too thick and not shaped for a seal on the side of the airbox :( Good job I have the Triumph filters arriving tomorrow, I can compare to those to see if I'm imagining things.

Anyway, with engine now complete it was time to fire her up. After a few seconds clatter (presumably camchain tensioner waiting for oil pressure) bike ran OK. Waited for it to get to normal idle speed and turned it off. No sign of any leaking but only a test ride will tell for sure. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow :grinning:

• Like Like x 17
  2. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    My rather quick impresions are_
    Awesome fit and finish
    The seating position felt immediately familiar, or the same as in my tiger 900
    I'll love that it has a drive shaft vs the chain
    Cast wheels while different in size (rear) are identical to the ones on the 900 GT
    The Clutch is hydraulic but felt as soft as the 900
    The bike will be there until Saturday I might go again during the day, with less crowd, and flashy lights making it difficult to see anything
    We were told the bike is not activated and can not be turned on.
    Starting price is about 10% less than the BMW R1250GS

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Thanks for that Armando :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #16924 brown mouse, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022

I shouldn't have tempted fate yesterday by talking about the reliable next day courier Fowlers Parts uses, because at 9:30 am I got a text saying they tried to deliver but I wasn't in; oh yes I was! Perhaps they got the wrong house or were behind schedule so just lied. The text said my parcel would be taken to a convenience store a mile away for me to collect.

I decided to try fitting those HiFlo air filers I said yesterday didn't look like they sealed properly, and doing the screws up to full tightness just about got the foam compressed enough that the inaccurate moulding sealed. So I was good to go for that test ride.

First stop was to be the petrol station as tank was just about empty, except most of the pumps were out of action and there was a big queue, I had also noticed the engine warning light was on so turned around to go home. After putting a bit of petrol in tank from a jerry can, and an equal amount over the bike and myself :( I attached TuneECU to get the error code; it was that cruise control disabled error I had when I did last service, which I'd forgot about. So after the magic handshake to enable cruise control I was good to go again.

During all this I had got another text message saying my parcel was ready for collection, so my test ride consisted of 20 minutes riding around a large residential area getting lost, followed by 10 minutes on some faster roads. Bike was running fine and I even got filled up with petrol.

Don't know if it was my imagination but the gear change seemed rather more clunky than usual. The only thing I've done that should affect that is new oil, but wouldn't expect it to make it worse. (Unless fresh oil has more viscosity and makes the clutch and gears stick more?)

After engine cooled down I check for leaks and noticed some oil at bottom front of alternator cover :sob: that's opposite to cables and grommet I was worrying about.

It's neigh on impossible to check oil levels with these bloody sight glasses, but using a paddock stand and some wood to get vaguely level, the oil level doesn't look too bad, but can't tell if it's different to when I filled up. I had another more thorough clean around the engine and am praying oil was from me splashing it around when doing the camshafts, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Another test ride tomorrow, because I need beer at the moment...

Edit: A friend pointed out I should recheck the bolts on the cover as they just might have settled/compressed and need a little nip up. I did actually think about checking bolts, then forgot in my gloom. (I knew I couldn't do it for a few hours until engine cools down, so promptly forgot).

• Like Like x 5
  5. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Technically it was yesterday.

Just before Christmas I discovered the reality that riding in 4degreesC temperatures is not pleasant in leathers even wearing thermals.

So taking advantage of a new good quality textile jacket and winter gloves (eBay is still my friend) and half decent weather, my friend Paul (on his Bobber) and I went for a round trip for Brunch.

From the Sandiway Shell garage on the A49 to Nantwich, then to Market Drayton, then to Wem where we stopped for lunch at "The New Maltings Cafe". In decor/atmosphere its your classic British "greasy spoon", but the all-day breakfast was excellent, cheap and served by friendly staff.

Then it was back to the A49 and a brisk ride back to the Sandiway Shell garage.

Considering it was my first ride of the year I was much less rusty and more confident than I expected. The Bike Safe course and Bennetts Rider confidence training have obviously had the desired impact on my riding.

IMG_2220.jpg

Its good to be comfortably back in the saddle.

• Like Like x 13
  6. Twobuells

Twobuells Member

Jan 11, 2022
    Catasauqua Pennsylvania
    Just finished my first air filter change out and coolant change on my 18 Tiger XCx . Got to say.....WHAT A PAIN IN THE AZzzz ! The design is all about dealer servicing and not about ownership ease of maintenance !
    Bottom line.... I still love my Tiger......lol

• Like Like x 2
  7. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    Air filter access by just removing the seat is one very welcome change for the recent tiger 900.
    On the vstrom 650 I had to remove the fuel tank to replace the air filter, and I alway though it was really nice cars did have a different design :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good to see you got out today. One of my favorite rides is down the A49 via Natwich and Market Drayton. I usually go on up to Whitchurch (cuppa at the Raven) before riding back up the A49 to home in Winsford.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    @Octoberon do you have this one on your amazing map? Maybe one for it if not?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tommi Saarento

Tommi Saarento Active Member

Aug 15, 2020
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Suspension done. TEC/YSS kit in front and YSS RZ362/350TRL (Black/Black) AA1323 dampers rear.
    Will take a month before the weather allows to dial them in and test though.
    YSS front.jpg YSS rear.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  11. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    How easy was it to fit the YSS cartridge emulators in the front forks? I have a pair for my Street Cup but haven’t yet worked up the courage to fit them; removing and drilling the damper rods is rather intimidating. Nice bike and mods, by the way, but I may just be biased.

I hope the weather clears up for you soon and look forward to hearing about how well your suspension mods work. I’m delighted with my TEC fork springs and Fox shocks.

12. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    We and a few other friends usually go over to North Wales via the Old Stores cafe and then wander around some of the Welsh roads and towns.

We fancied somewhere different and are glad we did, next trip may well include Market Drayton again because I know another good cafe there.

You’re only just down the road from me (Weaverham) so do I look out for the green Thruxton in your avatar?

13. Tommi Saarento

Aug 15, 2020
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Removing the damper rods was the hard part. My 18 volt impact gun did not manage to loosen them, had to take to air gun. Good quality minimum 4cm long allen socket is essential here. After removing the front tire i loosened the damper rod bolts with the forks complete so the spring was pressing the damper rod so it would not turn. Same when reassembling. Drilling the rod was no problem, drilled first with 5mm drill then 8mm in a bench drill. Cleaned well all grades and back on place. The adapter rings for the emulators were so loose i put some superglue on them so they were in right place when dropped in the forks.
    I don`t think you are biased on the Cup or maybe i am too! When i first saw a yellow Cup i just had to get one;)

14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep, but it is off the road at the moment. I will tax it in the next few weeks for the season. I also ride a black tiger sport which is on the road all year round. Do you get over to J&S for a brew? If so I will look out for you;)

15. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Me too, I nearly went classic black and silver, but there's something about the yellow design. My brother returned to biking at the same time as I did with a 2018 Tiger 800 XCA, it truly is a "swiss army knife" of a bike and awesome to ride. But it lacks the character of a Bonnie and it doesn't make me smile :heart_eyes: like my yellow Street Cup does every time I open the door. And you've got to love your bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    #16936 RevPaul, Feb 25, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    I do occasionally get over there, but my work is so busy its not as often as I'd like and it's usually to shop. Also its so close to home its sadly quicker to get in the car and drive than it is to gear up and ride: I'm ashamed to be even typing that last sentence :pensive:. If I see you there though I'll try and say hi.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tommi Saarento

Aug 15, 2020
    Gothenburg Sweden
    By the way i was just in garage trying to adjust the sag. I cutted the plastic spacers 28mm:s as per TEC:s video. I think this is too much, even with adjusters in max i still get 30mm static and 45mm dynamic sag. The springs i got from TEC were a bit shorter than original so sent them a mail questioning if i got the right springs or what's up.

18. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep know what you mean about being close. I normally call on the way home or on the way out if I’m heading over to Wales.

19. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Sorry to hear that. My springs were about 2-3mm shorter than the standard springs; I think George does warn of this in TEC's fitting video. I can't say I've noticed it harming the ride or handling, just the opposite in fact.

I haven't cut the spacers yet, but I will only cut them by the depth of the emulators which is 20mm: I'm not going with the fork adjusters simply because I think they spoil the classic look of the forks.

Hope you can work something out.

20. Tommi Saarento

Aug 15, 2020
    Gothenburg Sweden
    No major, see what George answers first. New plastic spacers should not be expensive or even some nylon washers could do to compensate.