Featured What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by flapinflares, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    For me I generally like to mix up riding on my own, which is great fun, with just another mate who I know well and who's riding skill levels are similar to mine. Having said that I also enjoy touring with a small (three or four mates) that I have been riding with on days out during the riding season.
    Larger group rides, either touring or general ride outs can also be fun as long as all involved are disciplined and follow simple group ride rules.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Exactly like me. Let's ride together. :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    My group ride was utter chaos. Not something I will be quick to repeat. No discipline at all

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Although I feel 2-4 capable riders is a great mix, I regularly ride in a group of experienced riders with planned routes, leaders controlling top speeds and tail end Charlie’s to managed stragglers. :grinning:
    We have regular wait points to regroup and planned fuel stops for small tanks like mine.:cool:
    I find the mixed models and terrain a good challenge and of course the camaraderie at the lunch stop is great.
    Planning and discipline are differently the answer :p

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Steve T.

Steve T. Active Member

Dec 6, 2020
    Northern British Columbia
    #15825 Steve T., Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    WARNING - Bit of a Rant... but still happy

Recent ride out - just three of us - during the return part of the trip we agreed to meet at the ONLY gas station 75km further along but it's just after the turn-off. So we all settle down and enjoy our own space. I'm riding #3 and then I see our #2 rider waiting at the turn off and he says "don't need gas" - so off he goes.... So where, you may ask, is bike #1 ? I continued towards the gas station - no #1 - He had, apparently, already doubled back down a side road. When I "returned" to the route they were both waiting for me - and took off as soon as I arrived.
    Folk are strange (or as my Dad said "there's nowt so queer as folk"). I'd said I had plenty of gas as it was only 250km "home" since we topped off earlier; #1 was on a Goldwing (i.e. big gas tank) but it was the #2 peanut tank Harley that said he wanted gas.....!!!

Apart from that "little bit of nonsense" it was a great day out with each of us of able to "tootle" along in our own comfort zone and enjoy the lakes, rivers, trees, mountains, wildlife, fun in the twisties, etc.

We do have several Large Group Rides (Charity, Good Cause, etc.) every year with anything from 20 to 60+ riders (not bad for being at the far end of a road to nowhere - at least it's paved). Personally, I don't like these large (dis)organized groups whilst riding but one always meets a few "characters" which more that makes up for the burned-out clutch, worn brakes and near rear-enders...!

OK -- mini-rant over …and I do feel better for it :D Thanks

P.S. It's still in the upper 30's C and last week we were over 40C (+100F) - we have many Wild Fires as a result. At least the moss between my toes is drying out and I can see the small webs between them :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 5
  6. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    My views are quite similar, @Wessa. I thoroughly enjoy riding on my own or with my hubby as my riding mate. We've a good bunch of riding friends and often do Sunday morning "local" rides with about half a dozen of them. And we sometimes do larger group rides such as charity rides (pre-Covid anyway).

On the most recent motorcycle trip we did last week through the Southwest, we had seven riders in our group for an eight day/seven night trip over 1800 miles. I do have to say that having seven in our group made not only the riding itself but everything else somewhat more complicated and "organizationally challenging". It's a lot easier to get a table for two for dinner than a table for seven. Or to gas up two or three bikes vs. seven. Or get three people on the road at the agreed upon time. And although our bunch are all good friends, everyone does have their own preferences about how they like to ride. Fast, leisurely, stops, no stops, etc. Mr. Sandi led the rides each day and he wasn't able to really relax and enjoy himself like he has in the past when it's just been the two of us or one, maybe two, more. He and I agreed upon our return from our trip last Saturday that we probably wouldn't do that many days and miles with a group that size again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Main guy I ride with is fab.
    never stuff it up the inside and never a stupid move. Can ride briskly if reqd but still the same.
    Rides so I can see him in the mirro
    Totally agree.
    I seem to get lumped with finding hotels etc and never is anyone totally happy with my selections.
    I even get lumped with putting down deposits for hotels and have to ASK for the money back.....
    I'm due to go to wales for a week on a bike trip with 5 mates and all of them couldn't agree on anything so i've told them that I can no longer make it (due to work commitments, TOTALLY untrue) and i'm just going to go myself and enjoy doing what I want to do instead of worrying about the others etc.
    A bit grumpy of me perhaps but i've had enough of groups of riders as no-one has the same ideas.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I totally get it, D2T. Mr. Sandi and I did all the planning and organization for the trip we just returned from. We planned the overall basic route together. I organized and got all the information on the hotels and shared that with everyone. And Mr. Sandi mapped out the specific routes and researched some of the restaurants. Everyone else pretty much showed up for the ride, literally and figuratively. We love the friends we traveled with but....live and learn. I do hope that you have fun on your Wales trip. Ride safe! :):kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I’ve read all the recent posts concerning group rides, and take some comfort in not being the only one with a bad experience. Maybe all of us should do a group ride? :laughing: SandiT, could you and your hubby plan the routes, and DC2, find some hotels? I’ll just show up without gas or a clue how to ride. :p Seriously though, I’ve decided to make it a point to go one more time, and as soon as the shenanigans begin I’m getting on my bike and riding away, point made.

Edit: Sorry this derailed the thread. Back on topic. Did get my Burly saddlebags fitted and tried out. I’ll take a pic when daylight hits, as it’s 5:30 am at the moment. Goofy animals wake me up early even on days off, wanting their breakfast

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
  10. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    #15830 Hubaxe, Jul 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    With my wife on the pillion I don't need more people to bother me :grinning:
    .. yes honey? What am I doing on the computer?? I'm just writing some technical stuff about motorcycle, you don't need to read this, it's a bit boring.. :)

• Funny Funny x 6
  11. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Rode the Speedy a whole 1 1/4 miles to a Classic Japanese bike show at a local pub (I did have a ride afterwards:)). Spoke to a few old faces, one of which I haven't seen for over 25 years:grinning:.
    Some smart machines around such as a lovely GT250
    IMG_20210708_181126933_HDR_compress42.jpg
    Honda 750
    IMG_20210708_181345924_compress26.jpg
    And these two beauties must have had false ID:grinning:
    IMG_20210708_182224131_HDR_compress52.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  12. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I just got a ticket to the Goodwood Festival of Speed. This Sunday! Yahoo.

I will be too busy on Sunday to mention it, so updating you all in advance.

• Like Like x 9
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Love that Triumph with the springer front end, @Dawsy! Fun photos and it looks like a fun event, too. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #15834 Sandi T, Jul 9, 2021
    I hadn't ridden my Speed Triple RS in several weeks so decided to get it on the road at least for a toodle today. I didn't get out until noon and the temps were around 100ºF. But I just bopped off to two dealerships--Mussleman Honda and AZ-Kawasaki, KTM, Triumph.

My first stop was at Mussleman's Honda to look at the Honda Rebel 1100. My best girlfriend, Dena, is interested in the Rebel 1100 because she'd like to have the automatic DCT automatic shifting system. She currently has an Indian Scout but some of the things on the bigger Rebel scout appeal to her because of some physical issues she has. IMG_1003.jpeg

When I arrived there were five motorcycle police vehicles in front of the service building. I'm not sure why but I did feel a little safer!
    Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 11.09.03 PM.png

Mussleman Honda was started by Darvin and Helen Mussleman in the mid-40's. Helen died in 2020 at the age of 103. And she continued to work and be involved with Musselman Honda pretty much up until she died
    IMG_1010.jpeg

They have a cool room with old bikes, plaques, and trophies. Here's a sampling.
    IMG_1008.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 11.09.03 PM.png

IMG_1009.jpeg

IMG_1013.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #15835 Sandi T, Jul 9, 2021
    A couple more photos from the "history room" at Musselman.

IMG_1014.jpeg

IMG_1016.jpeg

After leaving Musselman Honda I decided to ride over "Triumph World" (AZ Kawasaki--KTM--Triumph). The two dealership are only about five miles apart. I found the one tiny strip of shade in the whole parking lot. The dealership was VERY quiet today.
    IMG_1024.jpeg

They had one 2022 Speed Triple RS on the showroom floor today and the salesman said I could sit on it. He even offered to take a couple of photos. Of course he knows how tempted I am by new bikes. ;):joy: Ergonomically it felt good. But at least initially I'm not a fan of the low slung pipes and the the lack of fly screen. And the lime green accents are definitely not to my taste. The price made me gulp a bit, too. Good thing I LOVE my 2019 Speed RS! :heart_eyes:
    IMG_1028.jpeg

IMG_1029.jpeg

Last time I was in they had a gray/silver Trident. That one went up to a store in Phoenix and was replaced by this black Trident. I'm sure it's faster than the silver one. ;)
    IMG_1033.jpeg

They also had another bike that wasn't on the floor on my previous visit--a blacked out (Triple Black I think it's called??) Rocket 3.
    IMG_1035.jpeg

IMG_1015.jpeg

• Like Like x 14
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Another great set of pictures :):)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    First time I have seen that bike on the road. It is usually riding in the back of a 1950's American style Ford(I think!) truck in the same colours and condition-looks really cool.
    As an aside @Sandi T I noticed you are strapped up on the elbow. Not more problems I hope?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Carl556

Carl556 Senior Member

Nov 13, 2019
    Durham Uk
    Love the Honda ATC trike! That was me and my brothers first toy with an engine. Hooked for life after that lol ! Happy memories

• Like Like x 3
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hey, @Dawsy. Yeah, a super cool bike.

And in response to your aside, all is good with my elbow but I really appreciate you checking. I've found that the skin on that elbow is still quite sentive so if I wear short sleeves under a riding jacket it gets quite irritated. So I either wear long sleeves or, in this case with short sleeves, I pull on something called Tubi-Grip that I can use a few times then toss. It's like what bicycle racers wear to hold on dressings if they have road rash.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Glad to hear it Sandi :grinning:
    I have worn tubi grip a few times over the years!

• Like Like x 1