Featured What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by flapinflares, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I'd definitely go for the battery too. It's brilliant.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Martine

Martine Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    Will share this with my HH since he mentioned a bit ago that his T140 needs new shift plates; and now I'm looking forward to all of the advertised benefits of the shift plates...he's already darn good-looking but the younger part could really be useful.;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Iron

Iron Guest

I think it is a scam. I slipped off the path yesterday straight into the pond and surprised the newts. I do, apparently, appear younger under water (according to the Admin Staff once she could speak after laughing so much) and my skin does feel softer after the application of so much algae. Ruined my corduroy bib and brace. It'd better stop the grabbing or I'll be wanting my money back.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

You are all totally bonkers.

Get out of my reality. Be gone.

It was nice and peaceful in cuckoo land until you @Martine and @Iron turned up talking gibberish.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    #15725 speedrattle, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    yesterday actually

took the 1972 T120 out for a first ride since the fall. the little lithium battery was charged, so after flicking the enricheners on the mikunis and freeing the clutch, a few kicks started the motor right up.

no issues at all blowing the cobwebs out, which mostly consists of knocking the corrosion off the plugs and dissolving any deposits in the carburetors.

worked fine for twenty miles, then on the way home i began to be uneasy. i've ridden this motorcycle for over 40 years, so i can generally detect issues subliminally before they become noticeable to my conscious brain. couldn't tell what was wrong until it finally got bad enough for me to say,

ignition. misfire.

and in another mile the bike began to sputter and backfire through the pipes. then it slowed and on the home stretch the oil pressure light began to flicker, then it stopped dead.

looked at it for a moment, then checked all the hot and ignition wires. nothing loose, which would have accounted for the symptoms, so i flicked the power off and back on, and the oil pressure light went bright red with the dead engine, as it should. kicked once, and it fired up as normal, the light went out, and stayed normal the last few miles to the house.

took throttle well in the lower rpm ranges, then once the fuel level was normal it took throttle all the way up. ignition was fine, fuel was fine, no misfires, no sputtering.

go figure.

at the house, there were still no loose wires, no problems idling, nothing apparently wrong.

so i dunno. have to take it out again and run through the changes and see if it happens again. else i will chalk it up to sunspots and motor on

dunno why the oil pressure light flickered. that still has me stumped, as normally the light stays off for five or six seconds after the oil pump stops turning. there is no reason for the motor to lose oil pressure until it has been stopped for five or ten seconds. so i shall watch closely. haven't had the bottom end apart for 25 years. maybe i'm being warned.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Aaron Brown

Aaron Brown apprentice mad reclusive genius

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    #15726 Aaron Brown, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Swapped out the plastic skid plate that comes on the Tiger 1200 XRx for the aluminum one that comes on the XCa. I'm honestly not sure the XCa one is going to be all that rugged, and I'll likely end up swapping it out for a third-party one soon (probably the one from SW-Motech). However, it is *certainly* better than the plastic one that was installed on the bike from the factory, and any level of protection is better than the bottom of the engine block just hanging out there at the bottom of the bike as such a tempting rock target.

IMG_0391.jpeg

I also added a brake pedal extender and riser from AltRider to make the rear brake pedal a bigger target and add a higher-up, and easier to reach target for when standing offroad.

IMG_0392.jpeg

Oh, and I took it out for a hundred-mile-or-so run around the hill country with my Harley-riding friend, and stopped in Fredericksburg for some fresh-off-the tree peaches :)

• Like Like x 6
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Love Fredericksburg when we passed through a few years ago. Do you have any pictures from your visit.

8. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    First thing that popped into my head is an earth issue :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Iron

Iron Guest

I'd venture electrical issue with the oil switch - whack in a new one :)

10. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Got a new screen for the rs and tried it. Only £108 and quality is ok.
    Took it to 80 and not a worry. Missing a couple of washers but I had a kit so all in, recommended. Only reason I got it is for my upcoming bike trip in July as as it’s a lot of motorway work, it made sense.
    Coming off when home though!
    I’m unwittingly turning it into a sports tiger???

F36DA7A5-2E63-4C4D-A076-5A50DF47F940.jpeg

85F43250-77D6-4EDE-BCD0-A1800182F076.jpeg

FB3460A6-9205-4682-8886-2C31190A8462.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  11. Aaron Brown

Aaron Brown apprentice mad reclusive genius

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    No pictures this time: this ride through was all about going fast and cutting curves :)

The stop at the peach stand was literally 5 minutes...

I do have a set of my favorite shots from one of my previous trips there, though: https://www.aaronbrownphotography.com/fredericksburg-2012

• Like Like x 5
  12. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Hopefully when you old enough to wear long trousers you will take the stabiliser (trainer) wheels off.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    They come off!?!? :)

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    #15734 speedrattle, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    ah, people, thank you for the suggestions on the sudden misfire. i went down to the shop, turned on the ignition, and watched the oil pressure light while i pulled on all the wires again. and here it was:

[​IMG]

should have been obvious to me that it was a power lead, as there's no other way to make the oil pressure light flicker. on this machine, there's a little shorai battery and there's a hot lead from the battery positive to a toggle switch for on/off. then a single lead from the switch to the fuse block. from there various circuits go in and out, including the hot wire to the oil pressure sender.

the screw terminal on the fuse block for the main feed wire from the toggle switch had loosened, so although the wires were in place, vibration could make or break the connection to the rest of the harness. thirty seconds to tighten the screw, ten more to test it, and i was done.

took it out again, no issues whatsoever. so i took the opportunity to ride out to town and then an hour back into the countryside to home. beautiful day.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Another 9 to 5 riding day, 240 miles to and around the Lincolnshire Wolds. :grinning:
    When I got back, Mrs Mouse asked if we could go to seaside, so will be going that way again next week. :rolleyes:

1.jpg

• Like Like x 15
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I took the wife's striple to work today - she might want to take it away from me... 60 years of age and I ride like an idiot on that thing... it's just so exhilarating!
    20210609_140038.jpg

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 7
  17. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    But you are an idiot Wim ! :p:)

• Funny Funny x 8
  18. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    #15738 Vulpes, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Nearly as mad as you Andy... :p:joy: I have recollections of you hurtling past in Scotland... on several occasions... :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I'll always have a soft spot for the street triples... such fantastic machines!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I don't have boxes that have been unopened for "quite" that long, @Wessa. ;) But I do have some that have remained unopened long enough that I really don't know what's in them. I think I'd be best off simply disposing of them unopened. If I haven't need whatever the contents are by now, I likely never will. Plus it would free up some space for more boxes. :joy:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1