Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Featured What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by flapinflares, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

Yes mate, any early copies from 1937/1938 are worth big money. The value drops slightly for the 1939 to 1945 copies but not by much as they were the war years. 1946 onwards, the value drops a bit more.
    Having said that, if you have a full years worth in pristine condition. For any given year from 1937 to 1960? They are worth anywhere between a damn good night out & a 2 week holiday somewhere warm.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    So possibly the worlds longest, most drawn out, 12,000 mile service has finally come to an end with the change of coolant today. Here’s a breakdown of what I’ve done and the cost.
    Coolant £16 (got enough for another change)
    Oil filter £13
    Oil. £41 ( got enough for another change)
    Plugs. £24
    Total. £94
    I also checked the rear hub bearings (all ok) and did the valve clearances (all ok). Air filter was changed a couple of thousand miles ago and is ok. Balanced the throttles with Tunecu so if you add the cost of the app and the Bluetooth dongle the whole job has cost about £120. Got a new rear tyre (£130) but there’s a bit of life left in the old one yet so we’ll see how it goes before putting that on. Check the coolant level tomorrow and if all’s ok and they don’t grit tonight (2 degrees forecast) and short test ride is on the cards.

• Like Like x 11
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

£94 sounds a shit load better than what a Triumph stealer would have charged you mate.
    Plus....
    A) You know the work was genuinely carried out. Not just charged for.
    B) You got to know your baby more intimately.
    A win, win all round Andy! :)

Even without the "official" stamp in the service book. I'd feel more confident buying your bike. Than one that had been to a Triumph dealer for the same service.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Agree, if I was bothered I have a mate with a little bike shop where I get my tyres fitted and MOT who would stamp the service book if I asked him but I’m happy that I’ve got all the receipts in the folder and in terms of resale value I don’t think I’m losing much, if anything, over a bike that has full dealer stamps.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Well yesterday I thought I would have a biking day, so I had a ride out and a test ride on the following bikes:
    Royal Enfield 650 Continental GT
    Triumph Street Twin
    and
    Triumph Thruxton R
    I’m now completely flummoxed on whether I should invest in one of these bikes, and if so which one.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 2
  6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    sw london
    Buy them all, you know it makes sense

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Dave C

Dave C Senior Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Quite a mixed bag there Wessa, I'd say mull on it and see which one feels the right one for you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hmmm not sure I can get the business case through the financial director for all three, however one looks like a deal can be done...

• Like Like x 2
  9. XCaTel

XCaTel Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    If you want to do a lot of riding I would rule out the Thruxton, completely different concept over the other two bikes, real chalk and cheese. If you have your heart set on the Thruxton see if you can get an extended test ride, fine bike but they aint for everyone.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else
    Subscriber

May 12, 2014
    Winchester
    Down to looks and riding position as regard the Street Twin and Thruxton, as they're the same engine. Going to test ride the ST myself soon.
    What did you think of the Enfield? They've got the looks right, but what about quality of finish? Trust me, you won't ever need a torque wrench - bolts stripped and snapped on mine as soon as I got it out of the box! :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. XCaTel

XCaTel Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    Steve, Street Twin and Thruxton have different engines, 900 Vs 1200. Are you thinking of the new 1200 Speed Twin?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mpllineman

mpllineman Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep agreed they have got the looks right. It rode ok; I had the bike for just over an hour so had a blast down the A49. I did find it a bit lacking once you got up above 60 ish, but to be fair it is only a 650, so can’t expect the same performance as the bigger triumphs. Still at £6300 for the chrome version it is priced well for a Sunday morning potter around.....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Thanks. Must admit I found the Thruxton riding position ok, had the bike for about 45 mins, and the ST for about the same. Yes a little different riding positions, but not that much to be honest, as the ST pegs are set back as well. I want a bike for Sunday morning ride outs rather than touring or longer rides.
    Wessa

15. steve lovatt

Subscriber

May 12, 2014
    Winchester
    Sorry! I was, just didn't read it properly :(

16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    You won’t be disappointed with the ST, awesome ride, loads of power and agile to boot......

17. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3
    Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    How did you find the thruxton engine compaired to the speedmaster @Wessa

18. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    So we're talking Street Twin rather than Speed Twin, Speed Triple, Street Triple or Sprint ST when referring to ST? :D

19. BB3Lions

BB3Lions I don't like oranges!
    Subscriber

Jul 26, 2018
    UK
    Velcro running a little thin on my rather stupidly expensive gloves, so I nipped into a local repair shop, £18 to fix which will do nicely.

But, had to buy a 3rd pair just incase lol

• Like Like x 5
  20. steve lovatt

Subscriber

May 12, 2014
    Winchester
    I was talking Speed Twin but I got it wrong!

• Like Like x 1