What will happen if I block off the crankcase breather pipe on a Triumph Legend?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bikertone7, Sep 1, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bikertone7

bikertone7 New Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Cumbria
    It's chucking a lot of oil out after a ride (and probably during it) the oil level looks right and bike only done just over 10k any suggestions please?? Thought if I just plug the pipe at least it wont leak!! Cheers

2. Gerry

Gerry Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Gateshead, Tyne & Wear,
    Dont be tempted to plug it as it will pressurise the crankcase and cause all sort's of problems. The breather does what its name says, allows the crankcase to breath.
    You could end up with oil blowing past the piston rings or blowing oil seals.

3. bikertone7

bikertone7 New Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Cumbria
    Many thanks for reply - any suggestions as to the cause?? Cheers

4. ram33

ram33 New Member

Oct 21, 2013
    usually a sign of excessive blow by on pistons although shouldn't happen on such low mileage? i would have a compression test done

5. Gerry

Gerry Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Gateshead, Tyne & Wear,
    Are you sure you dont have to much oil in, as that could cause it to blow it out of the breather.

6. bikertone7

bikertone7 New Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Cumbria
    Yep oil levels OK just half way up the glass.

7. Gerry

Gerry Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Gateshead, Tyne & Wear,
    You could try running the breather pipe into a plastic bottle of sorts and securing it to the frame but dont block the end of the bottle, (the pipes got to breath) and take it for a run and check how much oil its putting out.
    My Tiger 1050 used to breath a bit of oil ( about a teaspoon) into the air box every couple of month's but didnt seem to bother the bike or the performance. I had the bike from new and part ex it 5 year later, I just kept an eye on the level.

8. Harvey865

Harvey865 Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Is that on the side stand or when the bike is upright?

9. bikertone7

bikertone7 New Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Cumbria
    When its upright

10. DMC

DMC New Member

Sep 7, 2014
    Glasgow
    Having same problem T/Bird sport.

11. ram33

ram33 New Member