What Was Jack Lilley...

Discussion in 'Dealers & Workshop Reviews' started by manbitescat, Nov 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. manbitescat

manbitescat Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Southend on Sea
    Is no longer the dealership I had come to know and love. This will not come as any surprise to most who've had recent dealings with them - JL sold out to the Lind group (BMW, Harley, Triumph etc) and therefore seems to have been devoured by a headless monster - that is nobody really to complain to and nobody seems to give a flying fxck.

Just had most unpleasant exchange of views with the 'senior sales person' at Romford who refused to give one inch on a series of concerns I voiced, attitude was pretty much the customer is always wrong. Has left me an angry old man...if there was any alternative I'd try it...Ongar? Laguna? Carl Rosner...?

Fxcked Off, Southend on Sea....

2. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Dave Lilley is still running the show as far as im aware.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dave Coolbear

Dave Coolbear New Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I got my TBird from Hertfordshire Triumph and, speak as I find, have never had any problems with them....may be worth a go.

4. manbitescat

manbitescat Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Southend on Sea
    Dave Lilley has something to do with the Ashford store, but not Romford...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    What was the issue you had with them.?

6. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    Romford JL is my local dealer....same experience received when i wanted to look at changing my Speed Triple...test rode the Tiger 1200 and wanted a deal but sales service was shocking even before we spoke figures so won't be getting any business. Now looking at BMW instead who have been excellent.

Manbitescat - speak to Ken Kirby at Suffolk Triumph in Ipswich - i bought my Speed from him when he was at JL and will be my goto if i want to stay with Triumph....

7. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    It so different to the experience I had with them.
    I dealt with Mark and Sean and had a really good deal with them

8. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    My previous Triumph was from Ongar Motorcycles, only reason I didn’t go back to them was they didn’t have the colour I wanted.
    So if JL is no good for you they’re not too far away

9. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Have had pretty patchy experiences with both Romford & Ongar :(

10. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    It’s really odd the difference you get in service at these dealers, I’ve already said how good Romford was, and I dealt with Bill at Ongar and can only say good things about them too, sales and service.

11. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    It's the inconsistency that bothers me. Bill at Ongar, brilliant, till I had a problem. Flatly refused to renew rear shocks (a known service recall) so I went to Romford. No problem Sir, we will order them. Had them fitted at Lilley, short of potentially killing me on the way home ( one shock set to hardest, the other to softest), the bike was presented to me with grease paw prints on the exhausts, frame, & the shocks themselves (see shocking post).
    Panniers renewed under warranty at Ongar (eventually). When I picked them up they were the wrong colour!
    Really not good enough. 3/10 for both dealers, must do better. (& yes I used to be a teacher).

12. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    It's the inconsistency that bothers me. Bill at Ongar, brilliant, till I had a problem. Flatly refused to renew rear shocks (a known service recall) so I went to Romford. No problem Sir, we will order them. Had them fitted at Lilley, short of potentially killing me on the way home ( one shock set to hardest, the other to softest), the bike was presented to me with grease paw prints on the exhausts, frame, & the shocks themselves (see shocking post).
    Panniers renewed under warranty at Ongar (eventually). When I picked them up they were the wrong colour!
    Really not good enough. 3/10 for both dealers, must do better. (& yes I used to be a teacher).

13. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Ken, “potentially killing me” that is a bit strong as if the compression setting was up full on one and on softest on the other It wouldn’t throw you off the bike, at best it may just feel different to how it was.

Maybe that’s where the differences lie, you perhaps expect so much more than me.ican only take as I find and I’ve had no issues with either.

14. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    You ride a Thruxton R. I invite you to adjust your rear shocks just so & then ride your favourite twisties & see what happens :confused:

15. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I ride a Thruxton S and that has zero adjustment apart from preload, and get around pretty well if you fancy a ride out let me know.

I wasn’t digging you out by the way it’s only potentially killing seemed a bit severe.

16. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    If you do not ride an 'R' then I feel that you are unable to experience what I did. However I wish to put this discussion to bed. Night night.

17. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Are you sure you only used to be a teacher ? Only because that answer sounds more like a politician!
    :)

• Funny Funny x 1