What The Hell Have I Got Here?

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by David Osinga, Nov 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Osinga

David Osinga New Member

Nov 1, 2020
    Thx, good security advice, but it would be impossible for any asshat thief to find, its in a shop associated with an estate I’m working with...

And thx for the confirmation, its getting clearer!

2. David Osinga

David Osinga New Member

Nov 1, 2020
    thx again Adie, I appreciate your exchange and information. The more I read the more thrilled I am by this bike, its like finding a needle in a haystack!

David

• Like Like x 1
  3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Hi David, i just put 2 n 2 together and came up with the name going on the seat like you sorry. I will keep asking friends as i would like an answer as well. Eric.

• Like Like x 1
  4. David Osinga

David Osinga New Member

Nov 1, 2020
    Sorry to sound dense, but whats a “Wasp” frame?

5. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp_Motorcycles

When i was a lot younger and a lot fitter i used to scramble a 250 husky. At a race meeting (Pirbright) an announcement went out over the PA that a passenger was required to chair an outfit. As i had all the gear and my ACU licence i stepped forward as i had always wanted to chair an outfit. We competed in three races and i was absolutely cream crackered but thoroughly loved it. Sadly never did it again. The outfit was a 750 Norton Wasp.

• Like Like x 4
  7. David Osinga

David Osinga New Member

Nov 1, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Iron

Iron Guest

DRF stands for Department Registry File number. These were given out by the registration authority in California in the late 60s to bike builders. They adopted a different system in the 70s. All old bill dressers from the hippy era (Knuckles, Pans etc) had DRF numbers.
    You may be able to find something if you contact the fish and CHIPs department. Or just get your local plod to look it up for you.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. David Osinga

David Osinga New Member

Nov 1, 2020
    #29 David Osinga, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Bingo fellas,

The Internet comes to the rescue again!

Rod Lake “Rod Lake Racing” - The Cat That Built My 750 Triumph Called Me Today from So Cal;

FB Pg; https://www.facebook.com/r.l.lake.lake

i took notes while his ran through the background of the bike, per Rod Lake;

“I’m 65 Yrs old an old racer, I have about 250 race bikes in my current collection, and bikes in Museums all over the world.

I built that bike to race in the early days of the AHMRA circuits.I saw the Pic’s you posted, Its still carrying my number designation with AHMRA, 98.

That bikes “well known”, I was out surfing this morning, and when I got out of the water, I had 12 Txts this morning from all over the country, telling me you posted my old bike on VMX, with links to your post.

it was very a competitive bike in the AHMRA circuit. I Won a AHMRA National Championship Race on that bike, another big race in Ohio, and raced it all over the Country; Daytona...

Me and Frank Nye built that bike in about 1988 / 89, I was living in San Jose at the time.

I had the frame hand built by a famous frame builder Harry Hindall, he was the best frame builder in So Cal.

Harry’s well known in the racing community, google him. He was a genius. He probably only built 50 frames for racers around the world, no production frames for the general public.

I had that Triumph 750 built for the bike, the builder stamped blank cases DRF 100129

I built the 2-1 exhaust for that bike, the Pipe took 3 Tries

Hindall supplied his frames with an plastic tank and seat, I fitted it with the 70’s CCM Alum Tank, and built that Seat cause I was smashing my balls at every race.

There just weren’t any shocks Avail out of the box In that era suitable for a heavy 750 Triumph AHMRA racer, they were all designed around the popular light weight Japanese bikes being raced in the era.

I designed and patented the shocks on that bike that would be suitable for that heavy platform, then created a company to build it “American Made Suspension”.

That bike and the company I started to produce the rear shocks, changed the trajectory of my life, I eventually sold AMS to Harley Davidson / Buell and moved to Southern CA.

Now I’m a TV Film Producer”

I feel like a kid who woke up Xmass Morning to find the bike he always wanted under the tree!

Life takes some funny turns, now I get to be the conservator of a bike with some AHMRA racing pedigree, built by a Dream Team in Racing Hx.

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    WOW - what a FANTASTIC story! It will be so nice to have the pleasure/honour of owning something that is essential American motor cycle racing history. You are definitely 'that kid' waking up to something very special indeed!!

And a big "Thank you" to you for coming back on here to update us with the news and the information. We seem to get more than one or two people that ask a question, get the information they require and then quietly disappear without any kind of feedback.

I'd also suggest that your original enquiry about the bike's 'ballpark collector's value' and the zip code you're showing on your post profile might be a huge temptation to the wrong sort of person!! ;)

11. Iron

Iron Guest

Cor, bloody amazing! A VERY nice bike and a back story from the actual builder and racer. Just fantastic. A keeper to enjoy for sure.

12. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Great news indeed and even more its very refreshing for a member to follow something through until the end and have the decency to come on here and share the info he has discovered, Your a very lucky chap indeed and if I was in your situation I would be backing all them notes and info up with some written details from Rod lake documenting properly the full written history and if possible add as many of the mentioned contributors to the build as possible.
    thanks again its a great thread and a better read.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    wow....what a story ! I would enjoy just sitting in the garage looking at that!

14. David Osinga

David Osinga New Member

Nov 1, 2020
    Thx Fellas

Glad to be able to share a good story, ...and I just got a lil update!

For kicks and giggles,

Butch Cochran called 2-11-21 with a little more background corroboration.

We Spoke for 40 Min, I took notes:

“I saw your bike posted on VMX, I can tell you the history of it.

I knew Rod hanging out in San Jose, riding Modified Twins.

Rod Sponsored me for a while. We rode and raced AHMRA MX races in CA together. We practiced at Gambini Ranch in Marin Co, raced Northern CA to LA Co Raceway. Rod took his bike all over the country.

Harry Hindall Built The Frame in So Cal
    - He was Building Desert Racers at the time
    - Rod’s bike was raked out cause it was a Hindall “Desert Racer” frame

Rod and Frank Nye built the bike / engine in his shop “Engines Only” in San Jose for AHMRA MX racing.”

“Butch talked about the Worx Shocks Rod had on his bike”,

“Your bikes got a CZ Rear Hub, and a Yamaha Front Hub.”

I asked Butch about what appeared to be an unmodified Thor Swing-arm
    - “Yep thats a period correct “Thor Diamond”

“Hindall delivered that frame to Rod with a Plastic Tank and Seat Pan that looked like a Rickman.
    - Frank Nye and Rod replaced it with a Clew CCM Tank.”

I asked Butch about the Custom Seat;
    - “Rod used a Yamaha seat pan, had the foam cut, and the seat cover made with the Dinosaur Racing logo”

I askd Butch about “Dinosaur Racing”;

I noted I’d found the same logo on the Cheney ISDT Prototype with the same Dinosaur Racing log on the Tank;
    - “I don’t know whether Cheney or Rod came up with the Dinosaur Racing Logo?
    - We started printing it up t-shirts, and Banners and stickers for bikes in 84 when we were hanging out with Dick Mann.”

“i’ve still got my bike I was racing with Rod tucked away at a buddy’s shop (its got the Dinosaur Racing logo on the seat too),

I’ve got a buddy that posted film of us both racing on Youtube titled; “1988 CZ World Championships at DeAnza Cycle Park” CA, Raw Footage”
    - We were racing in the Modified Twins Division.
    - Rod’s bike had white Acerbis fenders.
    - My bike had red fenders.

Check Footage starting at;
    - 25:40 Wer’re coming off the starting line.
    - 26:15 Commentator announces “Butch has a Pretty good lead, there Rod Lake’s in second”.
    - 28:30 Great Solo Shot of Rod Straight on #98.”

Anywho, Butch was a generous feller on the Ph

So I called “Engines Only” (still in business in San Jose) on 2-12-21 looking for Frank Nye who Butch said built Built Rod’s bike / engine in his shop;
    - I asked if this business was still Assoc with Frank Nye;
    “That’s me”
    - I told Frank the story about my bike, asked him if it sounded familiar to him;
    “I remember Rod Lake, but; I’ve built allot of engines and drank allot of beer since then, I don’t remember anything about that engine in particular”
    - I let Frank know I was looking for someone to refresh the Eng, asked him if it was still in his wheelhouse?
    “No”
    - I asked him if he could recommend anyone that would be competent with an old Triumph?
    “Not Really, good luck”

He wasn’t not much for small talk! But that’s OK, He all but confirmed the story I had to work with.

So now its up to me to conserve this old racer. since I’m no museum, and Indon’t intend to race it MX, I think the best way for me to keep to keep the cobwebs off it, and preserve it as a running bike for the next generation, is to give it a good a thorough “Prep to Start”;
    - Split the cases and change the oil sludge trap tube
    - Check the seals
    - Replace the fluids
    ... add some period complimentary baja lights that are easily removed (to revert to its original condition when needed), and use the frame for intended purpose as a desert racer!

i bought a nice set of used Triumph Speed Triple 5 3/4” headlights in chrome buckets I think will look boss on it, and give it a new lease on life so I can give it an occasional easy victory run in the dirt!

Thats my story and I’m sticking to it!

• Like Like x 4
  15. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    ANOTHER great update!! This is the gift that keeps giving! :)

If you want someone trustworthy to do some work on the bike consider John PROTO at Performance Cycle in Diamond Springs, 95619.

John has worked on some really high end stuff, including (I think) The Texas Cigar and knows his bikes. Bit of a schlepp from you but worth a phone call.

Thanks for the update - can't wait for the next chapter!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. David Osinga

David Osinga New Member

Nov 1, 2020

Thanks Adie,

Thats great, thanks for the referral!

Thats not too far to drive at all! I’m looking for contact information online now...

I’ll let John know the referral was from you!

• Like Like x 2