What Pipes?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by David Aldworth, Jun 3, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Aldworth

May 23, 2022
    United Kingdom
    What do people think when it comes to aftermarket exhausts? I don’t mind the sound but maybe a little louder would be preferable ❤️ I have a bonneville t120

2. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Hi and welcome!

I have an aftermarket exhaust as I prefer the look and sound over the stock one (I do like the sound of mine on stock but the aftermarket is louder - not obnoxiously so - and adds a deeper quality to the tone, plus crackles and pops without drowning out the induction howl on the Striple). It's a bit of fun for me really, adds to the experience. The look I prefer as it's "cleaner" under the bike and I like the cylindrical shape, but again I also quite liked the look of the stock one, it was certainly not ugly like the giant stock exhausts on some bikes....some of those I would HAVE to change!

I really dislike obnoxiously loud exhausts that are just sheer volume, rather than a nice tone. But the people that fit those I am sure much prefer it to mine; it's like all accessories for your bike I guess - as long as you like what you end up with, then all good.

• Like Like x 3
  3. David Aldworth

May 23, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Hello Thankyou for your reply. What aftermarket exhausts do you have? How much were they if you don’t mind me asking? David

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I ride a Street Triple and mine is from Scorpion; they don't make them for Bonnies as far as I am aware. I was just giving my thoughts on aftermarket exhausts as asked rather than specific to the T120 I am afraid, but there are loads of knowledgeable people on here who I am sure will be able to suggest something for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi David and a warm welcome to the forum, Norman Hyde has excellent aftermarket exhausts for your T120, as you probably know he was a very talented development engineer at Triumph, including the experimental department, the exhausts he sells give a rich deep sound replicating the Bonneville's of the sixties, they are not to loud and certainly not anti social. One of his Hyde Harriers with push miles only was recently sold, by the time I heard about the sale it had already gone, and I would have bought it, to ride not put it away in some dark place to only see the light of day on an ad hoc basis.

• Like Like x 1
  6. David Aldworth

May 23, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Hello Sir

thankyou for your response. I guess it is just a bit of my own research but that is somewhere to start. They look very nice but are probably a little out of my price range. Is there a for sale part of this site> could be selling my luggage to as although its proper triumph kit, I am not sure that I like it.

7. David Aldworth

May 23, 2022
    United Kingdom
    thoughts are always welcome and apreciated :) I use to think forums were for old people.lol. Now I am am approaching old :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    The number that is "old" just gets revised and increases in line with my own age......

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. David Aldworth

May 23, 2022
    United Kingdom
    when I was 20, 30 was old. Now I am nearly 40, 50 is now old.lol

10. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Does age really matter, fitness, mental awareness and good mobility etc are a lot more important, some people of age are more fit than other's whom are a lot younger. Take Saturday's IOM TT Superbike race for example, John McGuiness aged 50 came 6th in the race, against a lot of younger riders, Michael Rutter aged 50 came home in 11th place, again a fantastic ride. I summitted Mont Blanc in my sixties, and a lot of other Alpine Mountains including further afield, and completed first descents in my late fifties on white water rivers in the Picos De Europa. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker with most of his faculties intact (I think).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    There is a for sale section in here. Just scroll down past all the various sections towards the end.

12. BLKWND

BLKWND Member

Nov 17, 2020
    HOUSTON
    I had the Vance and Hines installed on mine, then pulled the baffles out at 6000 miles. They hear me coming.

They have a nice deep rumble at idle, but not so loud it’s going to wake the neighbors when you bring it home late.

My 2004 Speedmaster has the Triumph Off-Road pipes we called TORs. They seasoned in mile after mile, and now at 115K miles she sounds good, but definitely on the rowdy side. That’s cool though, for a cruiser.

I wear earplugs always, for the wind noise, and it helps me hear my music. I’m very pleased with the V&Hs, though. I can hear them over it all. That’s all that matters to me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. David Aldworth

May 23, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Hello Sir. Thankyou for that response :) I may have said before that forums were for old people.lol. Its really useful and people are very friendly and helpful. Loud pipes saves lives doesn't it ;)

I have heard of vance and hines. I have spent a bit to much on various bike related stuff so when i get paid i will try and find some. I would like that sort of sound. Even with standard pipes it still sounds quite nice so I cant imagine they would improve the sound.

daft question but do you just wear normal earplugs or are there special ones for bikes?

14. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Personally I use foam earplugs, they are budget and I replace them frequently, having said that I am considering a pair of custom earplugs.

15. BLKWND

BLKWND Member

Nov 17, 2020
    HOUSTON
    As far as I know they are plain foam earplugs. Roll up and stickem in. I buy mine from Aerostich, and it’s maybe 25 pair in a bag. I wear them until I think they’re dirty and throw them away. Something like 27 decibel protection if I remember correctly. It keeps my Aerostich account active and the emails and catalogs coming, too.
    If you don’t know Aerostich, check them out. I’ve never bought a Roadcrafter, but I can appreciate them. Serious gear.
    I bought a pair of wool-lined Elkskin Gauntlet gloves and never missed not having heated grips for over 100K miles. Also bought a pair of unlined gauntlets, and a pair of Ropers, and I may never need another pair.

16. David Aldworth

May 23, 2022
    United Kingdom
    Hello sir. Would you mind telling me how you take the baffles out? I am looking at Vance and Hines, Remus and Norman Hyde exhausts. What’s your opinion on those? Many thanks so

17. BLKWND

BLKWND Member

Nov 17, 2020
    HOUSTON
    I called them baffles. There is another name for them I’m at a loss to recall at the moment. They’re held in by snap rings at the back of the pipe. Nothing to it.

It was not a dramatic difference in sound when they were removed, just a little deeper, throatier sound. I liked the Vance and Hines because of the bigger diameter openings at the rear. More airflow can’t be a bad thing.

18. DavidS

DavidS Member

Jun 19, 2022
    East Sussex
    Mine has the Vance and Hines and it suits the bike well. A deeper tone nearer a classic Triumph but not much louder.
    I detest loud exhausts - living in a country village, we can hear the Jap 4 brigade for miles every weekend. More annoying than the local clay shoot every other Sunday for a couple of hours or so. None as bad as the shouting lycra brigade though.

19. David Aldworth

May 23, 2022
    United Kingdom
    I am the same really. Slightly louder and deeper would be ideal. I live in a relatively built up area. Children go to bed early and my neighbour has a new born baby boy. Vance and Hines pop up a fair bit. Do you have a picture of yours? How much are they and where maybe the best place to buy them from?
    As for the Lycra brigade, don’t get me started.ha. The jap 4 army I can handle as I live near a flyover, but the cyclists are just the most irritating bunch. Use f*****g cycle lanes where possible.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DavidS

DavidS Member

Jun 19, 2022
    East Sussex